2007 Raleigh Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's in charge here? Walker? Let's go, son, get this thing organized.

Boston said:
Who's in charge here? Walker? Let's go, son, get this thing organized.

I thought we were organized already? Well... until yesterday at any rate. We *do* have a transportation problem.

SWMBO is not able to drop us off at the festival. My son has a soccer game at 11am that Saturday, so SWMBO can not drop us off. She can only pick us up. (His games are normally at 8am, but that particular saturday is different for some friggin reason.) We need to find a way to get there in the morning.

Aside from that issue, which I'm sure we can get resolved, the plan is to meet up with everyone else via phone tag while at the festival. We will eat, drink, and be merry until 4pm, and then SWMBO will come pick us up.

We venture back to my place, probably arriving at 5pm-ish or so. Those coming only for the after fest can show up after that. I gave the time of 6pm, because I'm sure SWMBO will have us home by then.

I'll fire up the grill and we'll continue to eat, drink, and be merry. I'll provide burgers, dogs, brats, and the bread that goes with those. If you want something special to eat (steak, chicken, pork, etc), bring it with you.

If anybody wants to volunteer to bring something like slaw or potato salad, speak up. There is a grocery store within a couple minutes drive of my house (or a brisk 15 minute walk) if we need to pick something up.

The fridge in the garage will be able to hold one additional keg. There will already be four of my own in there, so space islimited.

Other kegs and bottles can be put in coolers or buckets full of ice in the garage on ont he deck out back.

I will have horseshoe stakes set up in the back yard, and we can all try very hard to hit the stakes and not each other.

When it gets dark, we can break out the cards and play some poker or something. Or... just continue to eat, drink, and be merry.

-walker

PS: Richard can't go. His recently booked family vacation overlaps that weekend. He's got a ticket, but can't attend. I'm sure we can get rid of the ticket for him.

PPS: Dude isn't going to be able to make it down either. He's got big plans with the family this summer and can't really spare the time off work that this would require from him.

PPPS: The Sunday brew session is not going to happen. The Baron won't be able to get both days off family duty that weekend, Boston mentioned above that he probably won't be in any mood to brew, and Dude+Richard aren't going to be around. It would only be me brewing, and I can do that without calling it a "brew session".

Any questions?

Walker-san said:
PS: Richard can't go. His recently booked family vacation overlaps that weekend. He's got a ticket, but can't attend. I'm sure we can get rid of the ticket for him.

PPS: Dude isn't going to be able to make it down either. He's got big plans with the family this summer and can't really spare the time off work that this would require from him.

Correction: Dude is coming, and he's claimed Richard's ticket.

Walker-san said:
Correction: Dude is coming, and he's claimed Richard's ticket.

:D

I CANNOT get as FUBAR'd as I did last time. I have to work a 12 hour shift Sunday night so I'll leave pretty early Sunday so I can catch a quick nap before work.

I tend to be more responsible when SWMBO isn't around (built in babysitter), so I have no worries that only a mild hangover will be the case. ;)

I PM'd Walker and the boys already--but I'll bring the travel 'rator and brats (thanks olllllo, the gift that keeps on giving ;0 ), and I plan on making hops smoked chicken wings with the yet to be perfected honey pale ale glaze.

Loose Cannon will be in attendance, and another keg as well--not sure of what though. I'll bring some growlers too.

Hello all. Focus here checking in after a 6 week hiatus from the HBT community. Obviously I've got a lot of catching up to do on the message boards, but the Raleigh WBF is a top priority. SWMBO and I have our tix and really want to meet up with the GRABASS crew for the first time. We'll be coming up from Goldsboro, potentially with a group of a few others but those plans are not set yet.

Who do I need to PM my cell # to for coordination just prior to the event? I think we're planning on being at the gate around 1130 - is that too late to be getting in line?

I'd like to make it out to Cary post-fest, but I don't know how our plans are going to shape up. As an alternative, we went to Tir Na Nog afterward last year and it was very cool - good post drinkin' grub. We may also look into getting a couple of hotel rooms - one for adults, one for bring-along child care. If there are others that may want to get together in the local area there, let me know.

Dude said:
:D

I plan on making hops smoked chicken wings with the yet to be perfected honey pale ale glaze.

Tell me more about these hop-smoked wings. I smoke a lot - mostly pork ribs, shoulders and such - but never thought about smoking with hops. I'd think you'd need a ton of hops for a 5 hour smoke session (typical length for a shoulder), but wings or ribs take much less time. What's your technique?

Focus

Focus said:
Tell me more about these hop-smoked wings. I smoke a lot - mostly pork ribs, shoulders and such - but never thought about smoking with hops. I'd think you'd need a ton of hops for a 5 hour smoke session (typical length for a shoulder), but wings or ribs take much less time. What's your technique?

Focus

Here is where it started--regular chicken breasts. I've done the wings once already but the glaze is the key--which I don't have right yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=131990&postcount=79

Hope to meet you at the fest!

sorry ahead of time that this is :off: ...

Cool idea which gives me another:

I have a side fire-box smoker, so all my heat is indirect. I usually soak the hickory chips and add them directly on top of the coals in the fire box. This produces a ton of steam & smoke, makes the chips burn slower, and can cool down your temp if it gets too high. alternatively, you could use whole hops, soak them in water (with or without the chips) and throw them down on your coals. Use whatever rub you want on the actual meat. IMHO, the most important aspects to smoking are the rub & the smoke. Glazes are good - esp for wings and ribs - but I just haven't gotten around to experimentingn with them.

I'm thinking ribs, but it'd work for anything you want to smoke, I guess

Focus said:
Who do I need to PM my cell # to for coordination just prior to the event?
That would be me.

Focus said:
I think we're planning on being at the gate around 1130 - is that too late to be getting in line?
Absolutely not. I wouldn't show up any later than that, but 11:30am is probably just fine.

Walker-san said:
SWMBO is not able to drop us off at the festival. My son has a soccer game at 11am that Saturday, so SWMBO can not drop us off. She can only pick us up. (His games are normally at 8am, but that particular saturday is different for some friggin reason.) We need to find a way to get there in the morning.

Here's an idea....Beth will be in Boston so I will have access to the mini van. I can drive us there in the AM. At 4 PM Julie & Jenny take Julie's mini van (w/ the kids) and drop the kids off at my house w/ Grayson. Julie and Jenny drive to Moore Square and pick us up. Jenny drives Julie's mini van, Julie drives Beth's mini van. We go to my house, drop off Beth's mini van, pick up kids, go to Chad's house.
Jeff

Boston said:
Here's an idea....Beth will be in Boston so I will have access to the mini van. I can drive us there in the AM. At 4 PM Julie & Jenny take Julie's mini van (w/ the kids) and drop the kids off at my house w/ Grayson. Julie and Jenny drive to Moore Square and pick us up. Jenny drives Julie's mini van, Julie drives Beth's mini van. We go to my house, drop off Beth's mini van, pick up kids, go to Chad's house.
Jeff

OMG....pass the aspirin. :p

Sounds good!

Boston said:
Jeff

Or we just rent a freakin' limo. That would be cool.

I'm out. My tickets are up for sale, I have 2 and I just want to make my money back, $64. That's $60 for the tickets and then the $4 "processing" fee they charged me to e-mail me my tickets. I don't want to split them up so PM me if you want both.

todd_k said:
I'm out. My tickets are up for sale, I have 2 and I just want to make my money back, $64. That's $60 for the tickets and then the $4 "processing" fee they charged me to e-mail me my tickets. I don't want to split them up so PM me if you want both.

Is everything okay?

So who's coming to the Fest? Who's coming to the GRABASS AFTERFEST? Hmm?

Walker
Boston
Sailman & Pansy
Baron
Dude
Nate & Lovely Wife

Anyone else?

joebou4860 said:
I will be at the fest and hopefully I will bump into you guys

If you're a Sox fan we GOTTA hang together for a few beahs, eh? I'll be wearing this:

1_250.jpg

The porter is peaking.
The pilsner was kegged last Sunday.
The rye and IPA were kegged tonight, both stuffed with dry-hops.

Oh yeah.....

Walker-san said:
The porter is peaking.
The pilsner was kegged last Sunday.
The rye and IPA were kegged tonight, both stuffed with dry-hops.

Oh yeah.....
Damn, you're the man. I've only got the Doppelbock since I don't have room to keg the rye. If there's any of the stout left by next weekend I'll bring that too and see who I can trick into finishing it.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I've only got the Doppelbock since I don't have room to keg the rye.

Do you just need a keg? One of the other GRABASSholes might have an empty one sitting around. I've got one at home, but it needs the poppets replaced before it could be used.

edit: damn... I'm getting pretty close to 5000 posts.

Walker-san said:
Do you just need a keg? One of the other GRABASSholes might have an empty one sitting around. I've got one at home, but it needs the poppets replaced before it could be used.

Speaking of kegs...do any of you Raleigh guys need me to pick up some kegs this week?

I think they are still 1 for $15 or 2 for $25.

Dude said:
Speaking of kegs...do any of you Raleigh guys need me to pick up some kegs this week?

Hmmmmmm....

when do you need to know by?

Dude said:

I'll take 4 and you can bring them in your luggage when you come out to Denver. :D

Kegs aren't the issue...I've got empties thanks to Dude's hookup. I just don't have room in the fridge or another gas hookup. I'm going to configure the fridge and get a manifold at some point, but right now I'm a two-kegger.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Kegs aren't the issue...I've got empties thanks to Dude's hookup. I just don't have room in the fridge or another gas hookup. I'm going to configure the fridge and get a manifold at some point, but right now I'm a two-kegger.
I can host your keg in my fridge. There's room for one more... ;)

Walker-san said:
I can host your keg in my fridge. There's room for one more... ;)

Just so you know--I won't need fridge room--just possibly a refill on ice for the travel 'rator. I'll bring two 3 gallon kegs with me and those will fit in that.

Now, what should I bring? Anything in my sig that is on tap is available.

I'll fill a growler of the gruagach. One keg will be the Loose Cannon. Reluctant to bring the rye cause yours is on tap....maybe a growler of that too? Maybe LWPA will be the other keg..... :p

Dude said:
Just so you know--I won't need fridge room--just possibly a refill on ice for the travel 'rator. I'll bring two 3 gallon kegs with me and those will fit in that.
That's good news, because There really is only room for 5 kegs in the fridge, and I've got 4 already in there.

It'll be good to have some things in ice on the dec out back because the kegerator is in the garage at the front of the house. I'll probably actually take the kegs I have that are not attached to the fridge's taps and drag them out on the deck, too.

Dude said:
Now, what should I bring? Anything in my sig that is on tap is available.

I'll fill a growler of the gruagach. One keg will be the Loose Cannon. Reluctant to bring the rye cause yours is on tap....maybe a growler of that too? Maybe LWPA will be the other keg..... :p

Definately bring at least a growler or 2-liter of your rye. I had a really bad brew session the day I made it, and I would like to compare. My effeciency was absolutely pathetic so I expect the Trainwreck to be weaker, hoppier (due to less malt), and potentially astringent because I had a lot of grain material in the keg. I know I won't be disappointed in mine, because my expectations are very low.

LWPA would be cool. I know you have made it a few times and really like it (right?) so I'd definately like to give it a try.

-walker

Boston said:
Are there any loose ends that need to be tied? Food? Transportation?

Loose Ends

Transportation:

We need transportatyion to the festival for Boston, Walker, and Dude. Billy mentioned that Liz might be able to take us downtown (Julie will pick us up), but I don't have that confirmed yet from Billy.

I'll get in touch with Billy today to find out what's up there.

Babysitter:

I'm hoping one of your girls (Boston) can watch my girl from the time we leave for the festival (11am?) until about 12:30 while SWMBO is busy doing other things. If not, I'll have to stay home and miss the first part of the festival and have Julie bring me downtown as soon as she can.

If you have any idea what the girls' schedule looks like on Saturday, let me know. Otherwise I'll have Julie call the house and talk to Beth and/or the girls today.

Food:

Meats and breads are being taken care of by me and Dude. I had posted earlier that if anyone wanted to bring slaw, potato salad, and/or chips they could. Nobody spoke up to offer. I can pick that stuff up myself on Thursday or Friday if no one volunteers.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Transportation:

We need transportatyion to the festival for Boston, Walker, and Dude. Billy mentioned that Liz might be able to take us downtown (Julie will pick us up), but I don't have that confirmed yet from Billy.

I'll get in touch with Billy today to find out what's up there.

Billy said he probably has room to take two more in his car, so I know Jeff and Dude have a ride secured. I've got to sort out the babysitting thing before I will even know if I'll be able to go down at the start of the fest or not. If I get the baby sitter, I'll sort out a ride for myself.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Billy said he probably has room to take two more in his car, so I know Jeff and Dude have a ride secured. I've got to sort out the babysitting thing before I will even know if I'll be able to go down at the start of the fest or not. If I get the baby sitter, I'll sort out a ride for myself.

-walker

Grayson & Mackenzie would love to spend a few hours with "M"......no problem

FINAL PLAN

One of Boston's girls will watch my daughter for the hour and a half that SWMBO and I are both busy. That means I can go to the festival on time.

Billy doesn't have room to take three extras in his car, so we (Boston, Walker, Dude) will get a taxi to drop us off downtown.

After the, SWMBO will pick up my crew and BeeGeee's crew and drive us all back to my place.

-walker

Walker-san said:
FINAL PLAN

One of Boston's girls will watch my daughter for the hour and a half that SWMBO and I are both busy. That means I can go to the festival on time.

Billy doesn't have room to take three extras in his car, so we (Boston, Walker, Dude) will get a taxi to drop us off downtown.

After the, SWMBO will pick up my crew and BeeGeee's crew and drive us all back to my place.

-walker

Wait now.....if we unload the Jeep of all my crap, I can easily get 3 more people downtown. The next morning we'd have to get up early enough to go get my Jeep and load it and have me on the road by NLT 1 PM.....

But I have no problem driving us down there.

Back