2 day fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullbaby1974

Reaction score
I made a Brewers Best Robust Porter kit on friday night.Come Sunday morning it had stopped "bubbling" out of the airlock.Is this common? All the other kits I have made had fermented over a 4-6 day period. I did not take a gravity reading yet, but will. I was just wondering if it could be done after only 2 days. If the fg is not in the recomended range, could I re-yeast?

The only way to judge fermentation is with a hydrometer. It is possible but unlikely, take a hydrometer reading.

1. take a gravity, that will tell you if you are done.
2. while you saw some evidence (bubbling) just because it has stopped doesn't mean your fermentor isn't leaking CO2 out some other crack - usually the lid, so it could be still going thus #1 take a gravity.
3. IF after an extended time - at least 7 days - the gravity doesn't get to expected FG+abit then yes you could put in another yeast pitch to bring it down. But first make sure you do #1 and take a reading. And sample, your taste buds will tell you a lot about the quality.

How quick the fermentation is depends on things like amount of yeast pitched, temp of ferment and other factors. So it is possible that it is done, although personally I'd doubt it. Take a gravity and let us know what you get. If you have your OG or your receipe that would be helpful also.

AC-if I open my primary bucket to take a reading, wont that let too much air in?.This is a fairly new bucket I'm using, Im not saying it isnt possible, but Im fairly sure the co2 isnt leaking anywhere else and it was bubbling pretty fiercly the first 2 days.The OG was 1.050....

when you open your fermentor their is a blanket of CO2 on top, CO2 is heavier than O2, so act quick and oxidation is negligible

When I made the switch to fermenting in a carboy I made a syphon jar so I could remove the air lock and insert a 1/4" tube and draw out a sample.

BTW a syphon jar is a jar with two tubes to the one you suck on does not touch anything to do with the liquid you are syphoning. Ie the tube you suck on is only just through the lid and the other tube that comes from the fermenter is draw all the way at the bottom of the jar. When you suck on the tube the negative pressure in the jar draws wort into the second tube there by giving you seperation from your wort. Some people use turkey basters but this made a mess of my carboy.

To your original question yes it could be complete but most likely you have a very small air leak (quite common with buckets) that is letting out the CO2 now that the vigure has gone out of your fermentation there is not quite enough pressure to move the liquid in the air lock. Don't worry the small air leak is not a problem mircobes have not got legs to crawl through it!

Clem

It sounds like maybe the yeast was pitched while the wort was pretty warm. In a warm wort, yeast can go crazy and I've seen fermentations last less than 24 hours. It's fine that it only showed activity for a couple of days- no need to worry.

Back