Safeale us05, no bubble out of the tube after 2 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
The foam on the top of the wort started to appear two days ago, this morning I realized the bubbling had stopped. My og was 1.036
Is this normal?!

Two items for you.

1. A tiny leak lets the CO2 escape without making the airlock bubble.

2. The yeast only produce CO2 during the early part of fermentation. With your beer that part is probably nearly complete so without the huge amount of CO2 being produced any more, the small leak causes the CO2 to escape.

Yes it was definitely a leak
Fixed it with some paste

Since CO2 is heavier than O2,I think it will insulate the surface of the beer against o2 even after fermentation ends, not very scientific, but true??
I'm worried that tiny of a hole might come back cause I'm not home and I didn't shut that hole very well
But it was a very very tiny one like the tip of a needle tiny
Do you think that will oxidize my beer?

They say that studies show there is still mixing of air with O2 and CO2. So any blanket you are imagining is one with a lot of holes.

But for many beers, a little O2 won't be an issue until you've drank all or most of them. I think the NEIPA craze and those that heavily dry hop promoted the fears of O2. Those beers do seem the most prone to having disaster for oxidation very quickly.

For your average beer that isn't heavily dry hopped, it'll survive a few months or more before suffering the effects. But that doesn't mean you should use a whisk to stir your priming solution into the beer!

The CO2 blanket/insulation idea is false. Gasses mix fast. Oxygen that's present after active fermentation slows will cause some staling, but a tiny bit of oxygen won't hurt much, especially if the beer is stored cool and consumed fairly quickly.

@hotbeer is right about NEIPA: some beer styles (esp. heavily dry-hopped beers) are much more sensitive to oxygen causing undesired flavors.

If you're bottling rather than carefully kegging (purged keg, closed transfer), substantial oxygen exposure is basically unavoidable, and likely far exceeds the effect of the small leak you described.

The said they already fixed it.
He also said he's worried about it coming back.
I'm worried that tiny of a hole might come back cause I'm not home and I didn't shut that hole very well
That would be a problem. You're the guy who's always telling people to leave their beer in the fermenter until it's clear even if it takes 4 weeks or more, right? You wouldn't do that if you didn't think your fermenter was air tight, would you?

Latest posts

Back