1469 - Roused 3X/day first 3 days, skimmed/harvested at 72 hours, barm still strong - rouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. Unlike previously, this morning at 3 1/2 days (84th hour), the1469 barm is still going quite strong, after a good harvesting last night. OG of 1.051 to 1.014 as of last night, and I am ramping down from 68 first to 63 over 2 days, then on to 50 over another couple of for a few days before crashing (oatmeal stout) (dependent on FG or attenuation movement, of course).

Haven't take a gravity this morning as I want to let it ride for a few. Nevertheless, given the continuing barm, would you rouse today (and as long as it's actively fermenting), or, as with protocols shown by Timothy Taylor and Black Sheep (thanks to members @Northern_Brewer and @McKnuckle , if memory serves), call it as of last night ("rouse through the 3rd day")?

Edit: Nevermind. FG = 1.009, at least enough to continue slow cool down to 50 over 36 hours or so. In the future I think I will be guided by the head and the fermentation, indeterminate of time. This was suggested by @cire.

Last edited:
The krausen on 1469 can be persistent. Just let it ride. You can even rack the beer from under the krausen if you have to (just be sure that it's done).

Back