1 week taste test!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bheag

Reaction score
I got the Mr beer kit for christmas and asked for the midwest 5 gallon. So I am a bit skeptical. This is my first time, but love good beer and wont drink a domestic crap beer. Kind of a beer snob and never looked into home brew until a few months ago.
So I started my first batch of standard octoberfest and added a cup of honey for abv boost. I just poured a shot after one week of fermenting and i literally coughed it was so bad. It was extremely yeasty and foggy. I like my beers foggy, but that was undrinkable. Is that just because it needs another week in the mr beer keg, and it is normal for it to be that yeasty and disgusting after a week. It has been in a closet around 69 degrees. Also used brita water instead of spring water. Thoughts....

by pulling it straight off the tap, you got the thick layer of sediment/yeast that forms at the bottom.

once it's bottled and allowed to sit, you pour it off into a glass and leave that sediment behind.

not only that, but honey takes extra time to ferment. i have a honey blonde using real honey instead of honey malt fermenting that, right now tastes pretty bad, but i know from experience brewing it, it'll be good in a few weeks

when you bottle (assuming you bottle the way Mr beer shows), your first bottle will probably be mostly yeast. the rest will get some yeast that will consume the priming sugar to carbonate the beer.
when you pour the beer, you'll leave that yeast behind, and it will not be yeasty.

You shouldnt really be judging your beer mid-fermentation. There are all sorts of flavor changes that happen naturally as part of the conditioning process.

Come back when it's been in the bottle for a month at room temp. If it's still gross, then we'll talk.

Back