☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after paying $32 a month for a coffee subscription I decided to start roasting my own beans. I bought a popcorn popper from ebay and ordered beans from sweetmarias. I'm hoping it's not a steep learning curve.

This is where I was just a couple of months ago. Made great coffee with the air popper and bought my wife a Behmor roaster last month for her birthday.
Did I *need* to? No. She was blown away by the coffee being made with the air popper but I wanted to invest in this as I see her sticking with it for quite a while.

As with anything, read as much as you can but don't overthink it. The guys here were great with my first questions - and it helped that a good friend was starting this just before me so I got to pick his brain a bit, too.

P.S. I also ordered 5lbs of that Ethiopian from SM based on how good the last Ethiopian was!

I am not sure on the timeliness of coffee picking but it would seem a lot of really high quality coffee has popped up. I have bailed on the sm yc so far as I cant stay away from the konga. Hope someone can compare them for me for next order.

Now to find time to roast this - or stash it away for a later gift for my wife.

bK4f3G

IMG_20171110_112126.jpg

popcorn popper arrived today and SM Ethiopian gets here Monday. Can't wait to roast my first batch. I am almost out of beans so I hope I don't mess it up. I don't brew espresso but have almost every other brewer. I am planning on going just past the first crack on the first attempt and go from there.

On a whim I decided to give a hg/db roast a try rather than pull out the Behmor and I must say I'm very impressed with the control this roast method allows. I brought 8oz of a Rwandan gashongo from bodhi leaf to 1c in about 9 minutes. The only downside is chaffe goes all over the place so next time I'll do it outside. I used a cheap 2 speed harbor freight heat gun. Picture of roast..

Edit: the other cool thing about this method is that you can easily hear 1c. More so than any other method I've tried.

View attachment 1510361941756.jpg

The only downside is chaffe goes all over the place so next time I'll do it outside.

Edit: the other cool thing about this method is that you can easily hear 1c. More so than any other method I've tried.

Another down side is you end up smelling like roast coffee.

I did a modified version of HG/DG for a few year and it does give a lot of control over your roast. Easy to see the color change to judge how to control the roast. With a little practice it is easy to speed up a roast or slow it down by controlling the distance to the beans. Easiest roaster clean up too, just jump in the shower.

I am planning on going just past the first crack on the first attempt and go from there.

one thing they don't tell you in roasting school, IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO FINISH FIRST CRACK. Of course, YMMV with a popper since the roast can be VERY fast. Anyways - it took ME a while to figure that out so thought id say it in case anyone else didn't see it as obvious.

Dog Bowl roasting may lead you to Bread Machine roasting!! LoL!!! It was the gateway for me at least! In trying to be able to scribble down temps of the bean mass, so you could come to a reasonable Rate of Rise projection, I found it rather annoying not having any free hands to be able to write. So...what could stir those beans for me? A slightly modified bread machine was the answer. But that got old after a bit as well, so....more slight modifications! :D Now I have a franken roaster that allows me a little more freedom! It might not look too good...but it does a fantastic job of roasting beans! Anyways...nice job with the roast psubrewer... zpack, your world of coffee is about to bloom! and kelia...I think finding the time to roast those Ethiopian Dumersos' is a better choice...I'll be ripping right into that....as soon as they get here!! Right now though...going to go roast up the sample packs from the jewel...and a downside to smelling roast coffee....hhhmmmmmmm??? nope...don't see it!!!

You should smell my place right now....I roast indoors.... coming up on my 6th roast this a.m.! Come in the front door and you smell a tiny whiff of fermenting beer from the front room...and then....it's just C O F F E E !!!!!

You should smell my place right now....I roast indoors.... coming up on my 6th roast this a.m.! Come in the front door and you smell a tiny whiff of fermenting beer from the front room...and then....it's just C O F F E E !!!!!

Yea boy. I'll be making my own smell later today. Gonna have my youngest boy help. He's becoming a coffee drinker at college. He needs to learn where it comes from.

Another down side is you end up smelling like roast coffee.

I did a modified version of HG/DG for a few year and it does give a lot of control over your roast. Easy to see the color change to judge how to control the roast. With a little practice it is easy to speed up a roast or slow it down by controlling the distance to the beans. Easiest roaster clean up too, just jump in the shower.

I havent had this problem. I roast outside and clean up quickly with blower. Oops, sorry missed the db part. I dont think roasting inside in my kitchen will pass saf (spouse approval factor)

well, my beans tracking shows they are rescheduled for Tuesday. Amazon Prime has spoiled me I'm not used to something taking 9 days to get to me, especially when you pay $9 for shipping.

The Sudan Rume Colombian pictured above is.........phenomenal!!!! I have not yet tried the others in the Crown sample, they could be terrible (highly doubt it though!!) and I would not feel bad for buying this at $35. Highly recommended to try! My palate is not that finely tuned as some others, but cardamom is dominate. A few seconds after swallowing a sip it changes into a soft rose flavor and then shifts into a concord grape. There are more flavors too, except I don't have the expertise to accurately describe them! I am surprised at myself for liking rose or grape flavors in my coffee, but they actually blend or come out very nice in the cup! This is an amazing varietal, that would more than likely shock you for what it delivers. It did me!!!

well, my beans tracking shows they are rescheduled for Tuesday. Amazon Prime has spoiled me I'm not used to something taking 9 days to get to me, especially when you pay $9 for shipping.
On 11-6 I placed an order with Sweet Maria's and 30 minutes later with Roast Masters. I have roasted and enjoyed the coffee from RM.

Here's the hell my SM coffee goes through and I still haven't seen it. Read from the bottom up.

Hodgkins, IL, United States 11/11/2017 10:47 A.M. Departure Scan
Hodgkins, IL, United States 11/10/2017 6:37 P.M. Arrival Scan
San Pablo, CA, United States 11/08/2017 2:54 A.M. Departure Scan
Oakland, CA, United States 11/06/2017 11:57 P.M. Departure Scan
San Pablo, CA, United States 11/06/2017 11:55 P.M. Arrival Scan
Oakland, CA, United States 11/06/2017 8:31 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/06/2017 4:13 P.M. (ET) Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I live just east of Atlanta. WTF it can't come here instead of going to IL bewilders me it's the same distance. It's like this for every order from them.

Rant over, my beer glass is empty and I have a sleeping cat in my lap. I'm gonna have to disturb cute.

I also have some of the Yirg Dumerso on the way from SM. I have been roasting nearly two years now and never really got the berry bombs out of the Africans that it seems like everyone else talks about. I do manual roasts on the Behmor and do very well with Central Americans. I especially have a thing for most Guats. I typically run up to 300 on P5 and then just throttle between P5 and P4 to keep the temp at 305ish. Usually go to cooling when 1st crack is finishing up.
So my question is can anyone recommend a profile for the Yirg. on the Behmor?

Thanks.

BTW. I grind with an OXO burr grinder and brew on the OXO Barista Brain. I have a Bodum Chambourd French press, but have been too lazy to use it for the past several months. Actually, I forgot about it until just now.

On 11-6 I placed an order with Sweet Maria's and 30 minutes later with Roast Masters. I have roasted and enjoyed the coffee from RM.

Here's the hell my SM coffee goes through and I still haven't seen it. Read from the bottom up.

I live just east of Atlanta. WTF it can't come here instead of going to IL bewilders me it's the same distance. It's like this for every order from them.

Rant over, my beer glass is empty and I have a sleeping cat in my lap. I'm gonna have to disturb cute.

Hodgkins, IL is home to a huge UPS sorting facility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CACH

Not sure if it still is, but it at least used to be UPS's largest facility in the world. Most packages that travel across the country via UPS ground go there. The back and forth in CA is certainly not efficient though. :)

I also have some of the Yirg Dumerso on the way from SM. I have been roasting nearly two years now and never really got the berry bombs out of the Africans that it seems like everyone else talks about. I do manual roasts on the Behmor and do very well with Central Americans. I especially have a thing for most Guats. I typically run up to 300 on P5 and then just throttle between P5 and P4 to keep the temp at 305ish. Usually go to cooling when 1st crack is finishing up.

So my question is can anyone recommend a profile for the Yirg. on the Behmor?

Thanks.

BTW. I grind with an OXO burr grinder and brew on the OXO Barista Brain. I have a Bodum Chambourd French press, but have been too lazy to use it for the past several months. Actually, I forgot about it until just now.

I just did P3 auto to yellowing and up to P5 man to fc and back down to P3 man and a fast drum speed to drop.

I went just a notch darker than planned on it but still got bursts of blueberry on the nose and tongue. Dumerso on left and Colombia Santa Barbara on right.

Todays cup was a 3 grind on Handground and v60 pour over 1:12.

I’m sending this batch out to someone and will be roasting it again tonight. I also ordered 20 more pounds today since I felt the 10 wasn’t enough. I really enjoyed this bean and look forward to trying different roasts with it.

View attachment IMG_0556.jpg

Nobody wants to leave CA!

Next time you order from SM let me know and I will just drive up there to get it for you.

Well My beans arrived and I couldn't wait any longer to roast.So I set up a table outside my garage and used a flashlight. I added too many beans and had to remove some but the roast turned out ok I think. I pulled them a little later than I hoped but it was still in first crack. The roast took 4 minutes and was cooled down before 5 total minutes. It's not a very consistent roast and I will use fewer beans next time. How long should I wait to use them?

I just did P3 auto to yellowing and up to P5 man to fc and back down to P3 man and a fast drum speed to drop.

I went just a notch darker than planned on it but still got bursts of blueberry on the nose and tongue. Dumerso on left and Colombia Santa Barbara on right.

Todays cup was a 3 grind on Handground and v60 pour over 1:12.

I’m sending this batch out to someone and will be roasting it again tonight. I also ordered 20 more pounds today since I felt the 10 wasn’t enough. I really enjoyed this bean and look forward to trying different roasts with it.

Thanks. I will go with those guidelines, but I'm still waiting for shipping. Do you know what your peak temperature was?

I also have some of the Yirg Dumerso on the way from SM. I have been roasting nearly two years now and never really got the berry bombs out of the Africans that it seems like everyone else talks about. ...

I never got all that berry stuff either. I thought maybe I didn't have the gene that lets me taste it or something like that. Then I got a bean from jammin that was touted to be a berry bomb. I'm telling you, it smelled just like blueberries before I even brewed it. And it tasted like them after I brewed it. Not every cup, but every few days there it was.

I also use the OXO grinder and brewer.

It's only been 30 mins but to me it smells like sugar smacks cereal. I did make some marscapone last month if that counts.

edit: Probably be making some soap next, so yes this forum has a GOOD influence on me.

Thanks. I will go with those guidelines, but I'm still waiting for shipping. Do you know what your peak temperature was?

You know, I lost that big blueberry in my cup today. It was there during the grind, but I felt it dies down once brewed. I tried both with Aeropress and pout over.

I'm going to try this https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/node/9698

As for temps, I don't track them. I usually hit fc between 210-220 on B temp though.

I should also add that my last profile charged it after a 160F preheat.

Dang, that looks great! Much better than my first roast. What bean and what do you roast with?

Haha, had exact same thoughts. Way better than my first roasts.

@passedpawn you said something I noticed but havent been able to define yet. Every three days or so the blueberry is there. It is not everyday for me either.

@passedpawn you said something I noticed but havent been able to define yet. Every three days or so the blueberry is there. It is not everyday for me either.

This is the #1 reason to ask your Barista "what is pouring good today?" if you walk into a good cafe:mug:

The best shot of espresso I have ever had was at Public Domain in downtown Portland, OR. I asked the barista this question and they suggested a Sulawasi as it was really rocking that day. Not sure if you've ever tasted Honeydew melon but this shot was like a slice of it; just incredible. We went back the next day and without asking, ordered another shot it. Wasn't even close.

Dang, that looks great! Much better than my first roast. What bean and what do you roast with?

It's the Yirg. Dumerso and a Sunbeam Great American Popcorn Machine II, 1100 watts, 1/2 cup of beans. I roasted outside. The temp was 52 degrees. I stirred the first minute then the machine did the rest. I dumped it at 7 mins. I thought the beans were darker than they are. I was going by flashlight. I got lucky I guess.

I've been slammed lately; looks like we have a few newer people checking in on the thread here. Great to see.

I follow a couple coffee groups on facebook and I have to say, people here look at the roasting and tasting process much better than most of the people on fb. Maybe it's the beer brewing background we have here, but there's definitely a more holistic approach here.

Last night I saw a guy on FB say he's never gotten fruit flavors out of an Ethiopian. I thought he was joking, buuuut he wasn't. Nice to see the level of expertise here and willingness to learn - it's really unique from what I've seen on various forums.

Nice to see the level of expertise here and willingness to learn - it's really unique from what I've seen on various forums.
I'd like to thank all of you that have been willing to share your knowledge and information to guide me along this path. It's because of you that I'm were I am in my roasting. A huge Thank You to @jammin . Through my own inability to read a post correctly he went above and beyond to lead me down the rabbit hole.

I've checked out a few coffee roasting forums and have come away with some information, but there's just something about homebrewers. I think it might be because we have a RDWHAHB attitude about it all and that makes all difference.

Back