☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished my first batch of the banko this morning. Just delicious. Glad to have plenty left. It might be the best drip brew I've made at home. It was great in the chemex and press pot as well, but I've had a few coffees that are delicious that way. It really stood out to me on the two days i brought it into my customer's office, which are usually days that I take my coffee for granted.

Sadly, I am just about out of those beans jammin sent. I think I got ~5#. If I hadn't been on vacation this last month, it'd gone last week.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a 50# bag and roasting it.
Same here, I have 1/2 pound of beans left that I got from him.
........but my wife loves it so much that I ordered a 22lb box. :D
Sadly I don't see this coffee listed at Royal any more. Maybe @jammin could point out another.

Sadly, I am just about out of those beans jammin sent. I think I got ~5#. If I hadn't been on vacation this last month, it'd gone last week.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a 50# bag and roasting it.

Are you talking about the yirgacheffe konga?

Heads Up: Sweet Marias just posted these coffees at 20% off. No coupon code necessary, the discount is already applied on their site.

Beat me to it. Was going to ask for reccomendations. Nothing grabbed my curiosity except for the gesha which would come down to 8 with a five pound purchase. I noticed if you buy 5 it gets cheaper.

I ordered some...Guatemala Proyecto Xinabajul Hoja Blanca, Costa Rica Tarrazu Don Mayo Beneficio off the listing. Have not gone wrong with either of those varieties, albeit they have not been identical crops. I too am running low on the Banko that Jammin procured! It will be missed greatly, as it is a fantastic cup.
Currently eyeballing this one: https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1151/ but it is pricey...
or possibly this one:
https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1159/

^the Sumatra sounds interesting and I’m curious how it would work in an espresso blend. For drip I’m not sure as low grown coffee never really does it for me. They natural Ethiopian sounds good but the low moisture content has me indescisive.

This Colombian is a really interesting sounding coffee. I love floral coffees - they are a great compliment to the house favorite chocolate covered berries we all love. https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1166/
Edit: bloody hell thats expensive - I didn’t even catch that

Crown Jewel just posted a sampler. 300g each of 3 different coffees, 1 being that $26/lb Colombian. All told its $35 for 900g of coffee. I'd jump on it as I really want to try that Colombian but I usually roast 454g batches and I'm not sure how 300g would go in my roaster - fine I'm sure but Id have to mess up a few batches to get the settings right.

Here's the link for anyone interested:
https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1169/

PS - 1 box of this nice sounding El Salv. Dry Processed Pacamara!? Been eyeing this one for quite a while but all the boxes were in Shanghai. If someone wants to go in on this box with gimme a holler ASAP before it sells!
https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1134/
^edit - i went ahead and ordered it. Looking to share 15lbs if anyone wants in - i think this one is gonna be really good
F6OQeGM.png

Crown Jewel just posted a sampler. 300g each of 3 different coffees, 1 being that $26/lb Colombian. All told its $35 for 900g of coffee. I'd jump on it as I really want to try that Colombian but I usually roast 454g batches and I'm not sure how 300g would go in my roaster - fine I'm sure but Id have to mess up a few batches to get the settings right.

PS - 1 box of this nice sounding El Salv. Dry Processed Pacamara!? Been eyeing this one for quite a while but all the boxes were in Shanghai. If someone wants to go in on this box with gimme a holler ASAP before it sells!
^edit - i went ahead and ordered it. Looking to share 15lbs if anyone wants in - i think this one is gonna be really good
F6OQeGM.png

Well, obviously you should buy two samplers then!

Looks like the pacamara is already gone.

Well, obviously you should buy two samplers then!

Looks like the pacamara is already gone.

yep, i bought the only box. you have an espresso machine right? this is the only coffee I've seen @ the Crown that was analyzed as espresso. Cant wait to pull some shots with it.

yep, i bought the only box. you have an espresso machine right? this is the only coffee I've seen @ the Crown that was analyzed as espresso. Cant wait to pull some shots with it.

Yes, Miss Silvia works a shift every weekend morning that I'm home.

Hmm. I currently have about a six month supply of coffee. Thinking about my balance of getting good coffee while it's available vs. overstocking and consequently ending up with stale coffee.

F6OQeGM.png

I'm in for whatever shares worth. You've not steered me wrong yet!
TD

I do not have an espresso machine BTW...

Some great coffee on my trip to Oregon. Never did make it to most of the places suggested - many just too far away from what the plans for the day called for.
Stumptown was everywhere and very reminiscent of starbucks where I had it.
A place in Eugene - called "Tailored" had some great coffee the one time I visited. I bought a half pound of their light roast Ethiopian and its been very nice.
A place in Bend called Something Mountain roasters. Also very nice pour-over I had there.
Portland, sadly, I never a chance to visit any of the cool places. So little time. I had a drip coffee at Public House and was quite nice, medium roast though. They had no light available.
There were coffee roasters all over the darn place though, it was crazy!
Great Notion brewing was off the charts by the way. A 7BBL brewery, 5 ferm tanks, 8 Uni-Tanks/Brite Tanks they served from, plus guest taps stored in their cold room. The brewing space was small, like size of one stall garage. Cold Room probably about the same at most. Has me thinking I need to get a brewery going.

TD

Jammin (anyone else), could you compare these coffees to the konga when you get them? It would really help me understand what i am looking for better. I think I am stuck in a blueberry yirgacheffe rut and need help being pulled out? :)

Along these lines I bought some cheap Guatemalan because my wife dumps so much creamer stuff in it that I'm not even sure it matters to her what we're drinking. I have come to believe that the best way I can enjoy the blueberry bomb is with my friend in our office about 9:30 a.m.. if I'm wrong please tell me, otherwise I feel like I should buy whatever coffee for us to drink at home and save the good stuff for my buddy in the morning.

F6OQeGM.png

I'll take what's left. Any amount, I'm dry.

I think I'm too late to the party on this share again. How do I keep missing this!?!?

Anyways, I had a Congo I struggled a bit with. Adjusted my roast and just did a quick one with more heat than normal and BAMMM it's delicious. Nothing like nailing a roast, and knowing it the second you take that first sip.

^ive been finding my fast roasts for Ethiopians to be much better as well. I’ve even cut down time after 1C and getting better results in the cup too. More fruit and acidity.

I'm in for whatever shares worth. You've not steered me wrong yet!
TD

Ok, count me in for 5lb (assuming that's the split).

^got you guys + @PassedDawn for 5lbs each. I’ll pm you soon. Hoping to ship early next week.

I think I am stuck in a blueberry yirgacheffe rut and need help being pulled out.

Doesn’t sound a like a bad rut to be in. Are you just needing a coffee that can stand up to cream/sugar or are you wanting something to help bridge the gap for her so she can enjoy it black?

What is the buy-in cost and minimum amount to get in on? 3lbs? 5lbs? I need to keep feeding the wife's addiction......

Most of the boxes we’ve got from the Crown have been under $7/lb. With fwd shipping, it’s usually just over $40 for a 5lb bag to your door.

Most of the boxes we’ve got from the Crown have been under $7/lb. With fwd shipping, it’s usually just over $40 for a 5lb bag to your door.

Thanks for the reply. If there's any room left, I'm in.

This box is spoken for.

Perhaps next round we should consider 2 boxes? Seems that there is always a couple people left out. It would be fun to see the whole crew take on the same bean sometime.

Yeah, I'm usually up for 5 pounds, sometimes 10 if it's good enough. I roast for myself and sell to a few friends so I tend to go through stuff quick without even getting to try more than a pound myself.

^dont tempt me! Coffee by the bag the though is usually 60 kilo’s ~ 130lbs

....the price would probably be better too. Alternatively - Coffeeshrub sells 50lb boxes @ great prices, usually $5lb or under.

For those in/near Rochester, NY, when you're in the Park Ave. area, hit Glen Edith Coffee on Somerton. Best coffee in the WORLD. Why? Glad you asked. Because my S-I-L is the head roaster there. And a darn good HB'er, too!

This box is spoken for.

No worries, I'm still a newb here and have a lot to learn. Plus, I just gave my wife her Behmor last weekend which came with the 8 1lb bean samples. Add to that the 3 I bought her to get started and the 5lbs that the naked cat guy sent me - she has a lot of roasting to do!

Thanks for putting the offer out there.

@kealia - thats awesome you finally gave her the Behmor. I know you've been holding out for a bit for her birthday I think it was? I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it how your coffee is tasting. My reckless suggestion would be to block out some time this weekend to roast all 8lbs of the sampler in afternoon and really get to know that piece of equipment. It will be a lot of coffee and probably take 4hrs or so but in my experience, marathon sessions like that really speed up the learning curve. Save that 5lbs of Banko from the Crown for afterwards and give it your best after using that sampler to get the hang of things. Thats a real special coffee; rarely have I had anything that good.

Speaking of interesting coffees... I'm very thankful Im flush with great beans or id hate myself in the morning for spending this much per pound.... still want some really bad though. LOVE me some Yemen coffee and the sorting/prep on this is like nothing I've heard of. I might have to grab 2lbs just because! I'd love to brew some espresso with it. Maybe even use it in a blend with some of that Banko Ethiopian from the Crown
https://www.roastmasters.com/yemenred.html

I would be in for a share of a sack. Also, are you all doing any coffee exchanges here? I saw one that just happened in the FB group I am in but didn’t roast then. I’ll join the next but wondered if there is one here. Maybe something like the Fellowship of the Drink trades that I’m in here.

Was discussing finally doing a bread machine roaster conversion with the wife. We have some unexpected funds coming in and she told me I should just buy a roaster. I have been wanting a Behmor but a buddy and I are talking about starting a small home based roasting business selling at farmers markets etc and building up to buying a dedicated full time space so curious if there is a roaster out there in the $1k range that will roast 3-4 1-2lb batches per hour or if such a machine is a pipe dream

@jimyson - we love to share bags/boxes of coffee here! make yourself @ home and I’m sure you’ll see something you like soon enough

Perhaps next round we should consider 2 boxes? Seems that there is always a couple people left out. It would be fun to see the whole crew take on the same bean sometime.
Yes, because I came late to the party this time.
I'm at work now enjoying a cup of the Berry Bomb Banko.
Great to see you and the misses enjoying the coffee Ron. Just let me know when your ready for a kitthen and we'll go see Judy. ��

@jammin thanks for the response. No more so I mean a coffee that can stand up to the quality of that yirgacheffe konga. Some thoughts for cream and sugar would be nice for my wife to. She uses flavored coffee mate. I think it ruins the flavor of the Ethiopian so that's why I'm bringing it to my office to drink with my friend.

@brewinhooligan - here is an interesting point to start in your search. caveat emptor
https://www.home-barista.com/home-r...r1-roasting-experience-t43465-40.html#p543286

That is an amazing looking machine, about the cost of what I would pay for a base model from Buckeye Roasters locally. I need to do a bit more research, but that looks a bit more user friendly and easier to fine tune, just a little more difficult to make the initial purchase and being overseas after purchase, customer support becomes an issue if there are any issues with the machine.

Here is some Yirgacheffe I roasted today. This round I used the P3 auto after a 160F warmup. After 9:00 and a good browning, I went into P5 man to fc and then dropped it to P3 with a fast drum speed. I took it to fc end and cooled it with a fan in front of the roaster.

This is the most consistent roast that I’ve done yet. The flavors seemed to work so well with each other without any extremes. I’m definitely happy with it.

View attachment IMG_0394.jpg

Latest posts

Back