☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was discussing finally doing a bread machine roaster conversion with the wife. We have some unexpected funds coming in and she told me I should just buy a roaster. I have been wanting a Behmor but a buddy and I are talking about starting a small home based roasting business selling at farmers markets etc and building up to buying a dedicated full time space so curious if there is a roaster out there in the $1k range that will roast 3-4 1-2lb batches per hour or if such a machine is a pipe dream

I’ve seen other query this and many times it seems like the best thing to do is to purchase (2) Behmor roasters and roast back to back with them. For $600, you can get started pretty easily and take the extra $400 and invest in beans.

@kealia - thats awesome you finally gave her the Behmor. I know you've been holding out for a bit for her birthday I think it was? I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it how your coffee is tasting. My reckless suggestion would be to block out some time this weekend to roast all 8lbs of the sampler in afternoon and really get to know that piece of equipment. It will be a lot of coffee and probably take 4hrs or so but in my experience, marathon sessions like that really speed up the learning curve. Save that 5lbs of Banko from the Crown for afterwards and give it your best after using that sampler to get the hang of things. Thats a real special coffee; rarely have I had anything that good.

Good memory. Yes, it was her birthday and she is just giddy! Like this --> :ban:

I'm actually not able to drink coffee a lot. I deal with migraines and I'm supposed to stay away from caffeine, but I indulge every now and then. And I do taste everything she makes now.

She doesn't want to roast it all at once, but both her and I have been doing a lot of reading and watching of YouTube videos, reading forums, etc. to get familiar with all of the options/approaches and all of this (your) input is appreciated. She is saving the Ethiopian for when she has everything dialed in. There will be no experimenting on those babies. The coffee she made using those in the air popper was great, though (before she got the Behmor)!

Fortunately, I have my homebrewing to keep me busy and give me something (read: lots) to drink :mug:

If you, or anybody, knows of or comes across really good options for decaf beans I'll be very interested.

Happy Friday!

I’ve seen other query this and many times it seems like the best thing to do is to purchase (2) Behmor roasters and roast back to back with them. For $600, you can get started pretty easily and take the extra $400 and invest in beans.

Not a bad idea at all

@jimyson

those look nice & light - just the way i like them. i've been mulling around knowing i should roast tonight but was going to put it off until tomorrow. now i'm all excited to go fire up my roaster & dial in a couple awesome roast! (..hopefuly haha)

@jimyson

those look nice & light - just the way i like them. i've been mulling around knowing i should roast tonight but was going to put it off until tomorrow. now i'm all excited to go fire up my roaster & dial in a couple awesome roast! (..hopefuly haha)

Is it fired up yet? Haha

What do you roast with? What beans are you thinking?

I’m wanting to hit another batch of Daterra Bourbon Collection with this new method. I’m liking what it did with this batch. I’ll likely wait until mid week to hit it again.

That is an amazing looking machine, about the cost of what I would pay for a base model from Buckeye Roasters locally. I need to do a bit more research, but that looks a bit more user friendly and easier to fine tune, just a little more difficult to make the initial purchase and being overseas after purchase, customer support becomes an issue if there are any issues with the machine.

Another idea is 2, 3, 4 or 5 bm hg setups. I've seen others do it too. With 3 roasters could roast 9 pounds an hour, all day, every day for very little expense and maintenance. I think the setup I saw had five. Then you could roast 15 lb an hour, all day, everyday, with very little maintenance and start up cost. This is my evil plan anyways. That being said if I was going to get serious and sell roasted coffee I would probably buy a very nice machine because you can only make as much money as coffee you have to sell. I also like the idea of maybe paying someone to use their roaster and that way you can do maybe up to 50 lb and have an expert there to help you. Sorry I don't know what I'm talking about but figured I'd offer my two cents.

roasted 2 batches of this Panama Natural. It roasted like a Brazilian coffee, incredibly fast. Seems like its low density. We'll see how it tastes...
https://www.roastmasters.com/elidanat.html

Drip roast:
WaR291d.png

Espresso roast:
mMOI7lO.png

Espresso 2:
GTvORPU.jpg

I gave a friend some of the Ethiopia Konga and they said, "it's great! Smells like granola when I grind it, it's amazing"

Followed by...

"I'm saving it because I hate for it to be gone."

Booooooooo. The freshness...it escapes!!!

Thanks again @jammin for doing the legwork on another royal split. We're going to need to start having others of us do it or start paying for it.

My sample from Crown arrived today...pretty stoked about the Colombian....unfortunately the roasting won't happen until tomorrow evening. Also had a delivery from Sweet Maria's come in as well..22 lbs worth!!! Gonna be a whole bunch of roasting going on :D

^you gotta let us know how that Crown sampler turns out! that Colombian sounds like an incredible coffee. really wanted to try it

Thanks again @jammin for doing the legwork on another royal split. We're going to need to start having others of us do it or start paying for it.

no problemo. should be delivered by Friday (hopefully). I'm throwing in a little sample of my first roast. 22g - should be enough for 350g/12oz of brewing water..

This coffee is large beans but it takes on the heat quickly. I did charge a little on the higher side, but you can see how quickly it dried out. I would suggest starting off a little slower and then crank the heat & drop with a short development time to preserve the fruity flavors. You'll be able to tell more with the cupping roast I included.

UwoIOIF.png

said roast
0zyBTLw.jpg

@passedpawn @trickydick

Looks like baratza finally released the Sette 30,which is supposed to be capable of drip and espresso grinds. Their latest models allow for interchanging of burrs to better suit whatever your doing.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/sette-30-espresso-grinder-by-baratza

I'm going to sell my Encore and get one of these. Just a matter of when.

I’ve been wanting this for a LONG time. The BG burr was put on hold after launch. I emailed baratza for more details. Like you, not a matter of if, but rather when before I get one.

Yep, I also had emailed Baratza back in June when they were supposedly going to release the Sette 30, but then they held it back because it wasn't ready.

The response they gave back was:
"We really have no date for introducing the Sette 30 as a brews grinder.

We are just in the process of designing a new burr. We could land on something quickly or more likely it might take several months."

So, I guess that's it now. The thing is, about 75% of what I grind is for Chemex, 15% for Drip, and 10% for espresso. It SOUNDS like the Sette 30 is a fantastic espresso grinder, so I think I will get it and also get the BG burr for my pour over needs.

Honestly, I've tweaked my Encore so it does a great grind for espresso, but this would be a great improvement, I'm sure. Plus this grinds FOUR TIMES faster than the Encore.

Handground has a giveaway. It’s a copper grinder and pour over set. I use their grinder and like it. Works well for my budget. Anyway, here is the giveaway link. Just so you are aware, the link helps me get additional entries. I wasn’t notified of that when another person shared so thought I would warn you.

http://copper.handground.com/?ref=3055647479

View attachment IMG_0478.jpg

@jimyson - nice looking stuff, esp the kettle. I just got a V60 recently and I must say it’s the best dripper I’ve used. Can’t believe it took me so long to get on the band wagon. Grinder looks nice too - gear drive is really catching on lately it seems. I took my Orphan Espresso Lido 2 to Mexico recently and it worked great with the home roast I brought with it. i entered with your link to help your odds out!

@harbortownbrewing - baratza wrote me back today and said the full on drip focused Sette 30 is a good year out but it’s something they definitely want to do. I volunteered myself for field testing if needed:D

My new grinder came in the mail today - Kafatek’s Monolith Flat; it’s been on preorder for months. It features features 75mm Titanium Nitride coated burrs - the same ones used in Nuova Simonelli’s Mythos One grinder. I put my portafilter in the forks so you can how it looks in operation.

w6j2aiH.jpg

Vi4AdMw.jpg

My new grinder came in the mail today - Kafatek’s Monolith Flat; it’s been on preorder for months. It features features 75mm Titanium Nitride coated burrs - the same ones used in Nuova Simonelli’s Mythos One grinder. I put my portafilter in the forks so you can how it looks in operation.

w6j2aiH.jpg
Damn! That's a little Mr. Roboto erotic!
Y'all are gonna force me into an espresso machine. :D

@jammin that looks super nice. Wow.

@inkleg I use the ubiquitous 80 dollar delonghi with pressurized filter removed. Baratza virtuoso set on finest internally and 4 externally with the upgraded paddle set and pull 30 second shots now after much use. I know its not going to win any awards and can't wait to upgrade but I (and swmbo) happily drink esspresso drinks every weekend.

Those with encores have you upgraded to the virtuoso burrs. I heard it grinds faster. Same motor, everything between the two, justvthe burrs. I called them and confirmed that.

@jimyson - nice looking stuff, esp the kettle. I just got a V60 recently and I must say it’s the best dripper I’ve used. Can’t believe it took me so long to get on the band wagon. Grinder looks nice too - gear drive is really catching on lately it seems. I took my Orphan Espresso Lido 2 to Mexico recently and it worked great with the home roast I brought with it. i entered with your link to help your odds out!

@harbortownbrewing - baratza wrote me back today and said the full on drip focused Sette 30 is a good year out but it’s something they definitely want to do. I volunteered myself for field testing if needed:D

w6j2aiH.jpg

Vi4AdMw.jpg

Awesome in many ways!

If this giveaway is anything like HBT, the number of entries wouldn’t matter anyway.

Man o man does that grinder look SAHWEEET!

Picture of said espresso shots.

Edit-2nd shot not so good, 3rd same, 4th good. Thats the problem with cheap machines.

It's not limited to cheap machines. There are a lot of variables with good espresso. With expensive machines you can better control more of those variables, but no matter what you cannot completely control all of them. In the best case, you manipulate some of them to compensate for others that you can not control as well if at all.

It's not limited to cheap machines. There are a lot of variables with good espresso. With expensive machines you can better control more of those variables, but no matter what you cannot completely control all of them. In the best case, you manipulate some of them to compensate for others that you can not control as well if at all.

Yep. Also depends on the coffee. I LOVE single origin Kenya espresso, but it's foamy as heck as a shot.

Yep. Also depends on the coffee. I LOVE single origin Kenya espresso, but it's foamy as heck as a shot.
The coffee, the roast level, the rest time for the coffee, the phase of the moon, the feng shui of the room you're brewing in.

Ok, maybe exaggerating slightly, but only slightly.

I can have my espresso locked in on Saturday morning, change nothing, and it will be off on Sunday morning even if i haven't touched anything and thoroughly warmed up the machine.

And this on a machine with PID controlled temperature.

I posted these pics in another thread on here, but there was a recommendation that I post them on this one...so here they are...these were done 3 days ago...I didn't take any pictures of the roasts I just finished this evening, but the outcome is so very similar to these, I thought I could slouch on by...long day...but needed to get a little more bean stocked up because I am bringing a bunch of coffee to the "Learn How to Brew" event my brew club is doing tomorrow. I get to brew...and then brew!!!:D I have 2 starters whirling away as I'm typing and a boat load of gear to load up in the a.m. Already looking forward to the coffee that's only a few hours away...

11-1-17 008.jpg

11-1-17 009.jpg

11-1-17 010.jpg

11-1-17 011.jpg

Since I’m pretty new at roasting coffee, I find it difficult to see how good my roasts really are. Would some of you be interested in all getting the same bean and sending a small roasted sample to each person taking part so we can then do comparisons and provide feedback and ask questions about people’s process to gain their profile.

It’d be cool to get a half dozen or so on it and relatively cheap to send out <50g to each of the people.

Hope you are getting a commission or a sale price for the Sweet Maria's you get Jammin!! Count me in on the "orders placed" list for the Dumerso...also I had to reorder the Guatemala proyecto-xinabajul-hoja-blanca. I previously acquired some of these beans and they have impressed quite a few people that have tried it...not to mention myself!!! Sweet Maria's is spot on in the description. and since I was shopping... figured that I would get Costa Rica Helsar as well, since I have not had a nice nutty coffee in quite some time.

Well after paying $32 a month for a coffee subscription I decided to start roasting my own beans. I bought a popcorn popper from ebay and ordered beans from sweetmarias. I'm hoping it's not a steep learning curve.

Well after paying $32 a month for a coffee subscription I decided to start roasting my own beans. I bought a popcorn popper from ebay and ordered beans from sweetmarias. I'm hoping it's not a steep learning curve.

Like most things do it as often as you can in the beginning and you should get the hang of it. Most coffee only needs a day or two of aging to hit their peak and because of the short time between roasting and brewing, roasting coffee is fairly easy to learn how to do.

Since I’m pretty new at roasting coffee, I find it difficult to see how good my roasts really are. Would some of you be interested in all getting the same bean and sending a small roasted sample to each person taking part so we can then do comparisons and provide feedback and ask questions about people’s process to gain their profile.

It’d be cool to get a half dozen or so on it and relatively cheap to send out <50g to each of the people.

If you ever want to do a swap, not necessarily the same coffee, just let me know. Happy to provide feedback on your roasts.

I only buy beans every few months so trying to coordinate purchasing the same beans is tough for me.

Back