Barley Coffee Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Came across this on you tube. If you want to try something totally different:
Water 5 liters
Hop 18 g
Sugar 600 g
Barley powder 20 g
Oat flakes 150 g

In the video he puts the water on to boil, adds the hops and then 30 minutes in adds the rolled oats.
Then he strains out the hops, and adds the hot liquid to the fermenter with the sugar and barley coffee, which I've never heard of, but found it on Amazon.
He uses some yeast from a bottle of unpasteurized commercial beer.
After fermentation, its bottled and he does a taste test and says its "not bad".
The process and sanitation practices are somewhat questionable, but I suppose it works for him.
He also has another video showing how to make your own barley coffee, but it looks like you could just use roasted barley or other roasted grains.
It may be interesting to try it with midnight wheat or de-husked roasted barley, and use honey or Candi-Syrup instead of sugar and maybe flaked wheat and/or rye instead of the oats.
I did a quick search on Google and couldn't find any other reference to using barley coffee in a beer, I think mead makers have likely already been doing it.
Here's the video:

Did you actually brew this? This section of the forum is a database of beers that forum users have made themselves.

From the guidelines: When posting a recipe to the database please try and follow the simple guidelines listed below. This will help ensure that the HomebrewTalk.com recipe database is a valuable resource for brewers containing only quality, proven recipes.

Nope, looks like I broke HBT rules again. So I guess just put it in general chit-chat or delete it if that's appropriate.

Back