Redneck Keezer/kegorator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_W

Reaction score
Folks: I don't really have the time or energy right now to actually build out a Keezer or kegerator. Also, we are building a new house and have just moved in with the in-laws during the process.

But of course that means I need more beer stuff to move when we move to the new house.

So I was thinking of moving on to kegging but thought about just getting the deep-freeze or refrigerator and placing the kegs in it with picnic taps for the time being. Then building it out later (unless I can swing taps in the man cave during construction in which case I'd have an extra fridge/freezer)

It seems logical to me, but I've been known to use the phrase "hey y'all, watch this" right before bad stuff happened so I thought that I would ask the hive and see what I'm missing.

Folks: I don't really have the time or energy right now to actually build out a Keezer or kegerator. Also, we are building a new house and have just moved in with the in-laws during the process.

But of course that means I need more beer stuff to move when we move to the new house.

So I was thinking of moving on to kegging but thought about just getting the deep-freeze or refrigerator and placing the kegs in it with picnic taps for the time being. Then building it out later (unless I can swing taps in the man cave during construction in which case I'd have an extra fridge/freezer)

It seems logical to me, but I've been known to use the phrase "hey y'all, watch this" right before bad stuff happened so I thought that I would ask the hive and see what I'm missing.

You are missing temp control. Also, I would go with freezer, rather than fridge. Than you have enough cooling power to get to low temperatures for serving, cold crashing etc.

It's not a bad solution - most of us started like that before building a collar, just make sure your freezer is tall enough to fit the kegs with connectors on.

Lot of people do that as a permanent setup. The only downside is that plastic is harder to keep clean.

Thanks guys. I hadn't forgot the temp controller but that is a removable addition isn't it?

How much internal height do I need for comfort on the kegs?

This is exactly what I did, though I kept them in the refrigerator (now a ferm chamber) instead of the freezer. Picnic tap. When I had two kegs in there, I'd just swap the picnic tap between the kegs, spraying star-san on the posts when I switched. Make sure you have an Inkbird or other temp controller on the freezer, and you'll be good to go.

Thanks guys. I hadn't forgot the temp controller but that is a removable addition isn't it?

How much internal height do I need for comfort on the kegs?

yes, the freezer will plug into it, plus a temperature probe that goes inside.
I would get something like ink bird:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Measure the height of your kegs with the connectors on, and make sure it can fit in a freezer, with the lid closed (remember some of them have extra protrusions).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back