Twist on a Successful Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I brewed a Barrel Aged Imperial stout that turned out very well.

I want to rebrew the beer and change the yeast for a bit of a twist, perhaps some stonefruit esters. Anybody have any suggestions for the below recipe to do so?

Pale 2-Row (UK) 14.0 lb 78 % Mash 38 3 °L
Flaked Oats 1.5 lb 8 % 33 2 °L
Roasted Barley (US) 1.0 lb 5 % Mash 33 300 °L
Chocolate (US) 0.75 lb 4 % Mash 29 350 °L
Special B (BE) 0.5 lb 2 % Mash 34 115 °L

All dark malts were cold steeped overnight then strained with the steeping liquid added to the boil kettle and the grain added to the mash tun at mashout.

Boiled for 90mins added 1.5oz of cocoa nibs at 15 and 2oz fresh ground coffee at flameout

Pitched a 4000ml starter of 1056 and hit with pure O2 for 90 seconds

Fermented at a fairly steady 65 with a lovey stop to clean the gallon of blowoff overflowing my freezer

After primary settled down and FG was steady at 1.022

racked to a king's county bourbon barrel that had added cold brew coffee with 2oz of ground coffee that was steeped overnight in fridge. Kept at room temp, pulled a sample put in the fridge for a flavor comparison. It sat in the barrel for about 10 days until the oak was becoming apparent. It needed more bourbon flavor however. Added 1/3 of a cup of king's county bourbon to the keg when beer was racked

Magnum (DE) 1.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 14.2%

American Ale Wyeast 1056 75.0%

Cacao Nibs 1.5 oz 15.0 min Boil
Coffee (Ground) 2.0 oz 0.0 min Boil
Coffee (Brewed) 2.0 oz 2.0 week Secondary

How did this come out? It looks good from what you wrote. My first thought was to try it with a Belgian yeast #530, but I found this link to a Thames Valley yeast it may be hard to find though. A question about the recipe, was 2 oz of cold steeped coffee enough?
Thanks Steve H

https://www.wyeastlab.com/PC2Q2011.cfm

Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II Yeast
Beer Styles: Ordinary and Special Bitters, ESB, Northern English Brown, Robust Porter, Dry Stout, Foreign Extra Stout
Profile: This strain was originally sourced from a now defunct brewery on the banks of the river Thames outside of Oxford, England. Thames Valley II produces crisp, dry beers with a rich malt profile and moderate stone fruit esters. This attenuative strain is also highly flocculent resulting in bright beers not requiring filtration. A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation High
Attenuation 72-78%
Temp. Range 60-70°F (15-21°C)

Back