Flanders Red Recipe Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin8n1

Reaction score
Hey all, I am trying to brew my first sour beer (a Flanders Red) and I am stuck between two recipes. I don't know much about sour brewing so I was wondering which one looks better and if you all would suggest any modifications? Many thanks in advance!

A)

All Grain
65% efficiency

Batch Volume: 1 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU (Tinseth): 8
Color: 9.1 SRM

Mash
Temperature — 122 °F — 20 min
Temperature — 145 °F — 40 min
Temperature — 162 °F — 40 min

Malt
1 lb 4 oz (56.4%) — 2-Row Malt — 1.9 °L
7 oz (19.8%) — Corn Yellow, Flaked — 1.5 °L
7 oz (19.8%) — Vienna Malt — 2.8 °L
1.4 oz (4.1%) — Special B — 109.4 °L

0.1 oz (8 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — Boil — 60 min

Yeast
Blend Red Flanders ALE 90%

Fermentation
Primary — 70 °F — 27 days
Conditioning — 70 °F — 165 days

Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

B)

Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.006
IBU (Tinseth): 8
Color: 10 SRM

Malts (2 lb 8.1 oz)
1 lb 1.5 oz (43.6%) — Pilsner — 2 °L
14.6 oz (36.3%) — Vienna Malt — 3.5 °L
4.4 oz (10.9%) — Wheat Flaked — 1.7 °L
2.9 oz (7.3%) — Corn Grits — 1.5 °L
0.7 oz (1.9%) — Pale Chocolate — 225.4 °L

0.06 oz (8 IBU) — Northern Brewer 8.5% — Boil — 60 min

All else same as A

20% flaked corn on recipe A seems high.

Also, I’m sure you have a reason for only brewing a gallon, but Flanders red needs significant aging time. That’s a long wait for only a gallon.

Either way, best of luck.

20% flaked corn on recipe A seems high.

Also, I’m sure you have a reason for only brewing a gallon, but Flanders red needs significant aging time. That’s a long wait for only a gallon.

Either way, best of luck.
I got recipe A from BYO haha…
Only a gallon so it doesnt take up room while its aging!

To make a proper flanders red you'll need to age it in oak and blend at least 2 years worth of brews together to get the color and flavor profile you want. I also agree that 20% corn is crazy high, and I highly doubt a traditional flanders uses any corn at all. I'd recommend a simple grist of Maris Otter a splash of crystal 75, and enough chocolate malt to hit your color

To make a proper flanders red you'll need to age it in oak and blend at least 2 years worth of brews together to get the color and flavor profile you want. I also agree that 20% corn is crazy high, and I highly doubt a traditional flanders uses any corn at all. I'd recommend a simple grist of Maris Otter a splash of crystal 75, and enough chocolate malt to hit your color
Traditional Flanders Red used corn grits as an inexpensive way to contribute some more complex carbohydrates for the culture to feed on over time. Should I just add a bit of flaked wheat for that instead?

Im not trying to make a proper Flanders, just trying to get some experience with sour beer. I plan to age on toasted oak cubes.

I saw an article recommending fermenting with an ale strain first, and adding the culture after so that the beer doesn't get too much diacetyl or acid. Is that a safer way to go or just stick with the culture alone?

Traditional Flanders Red used corn grits as an inexpensive way to contribute some more complex carbohydrates for the culture to feed on over time. Should I just add a bit of flaked wheat for that instead?

Im not trying to make a proper Flanders, just trying to get some experience with sour beer. I plan to age on toasted oak cubes.

I saw an article recommending fermenting with an ale strain first, and adding the culture after so that the beer doesn't get too much diacetyl or acid. Is that a safer way to go or just stick with the culture alone?
The one and only time I tried to make a sour by pitching bugs at the beginning, i got salad dressing

So I'd agree that pitching yeast first is safer

As for complex carbohydrates, you won't get that from corn. It's known for its simple carbohydrates and easy fermentation. If you want complex you could look at oats, or crystal malts which have undergone maillard reactions and caramelization

Back