Building Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zijan08

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been brewing going on 2 years now and have really enjoyed the process. I think it is finally time to make a kegerator and would like some feedback on the setup I am considering.

I am using an old fridge of course. I am considering using 3, 5-gallon homebrew kegs, a 20lb CO2 tank. All purchased from beveragefactory.com.

A couple of questions:

Any difference or preference toward rubber topped and non-rubber topped kegs?
I.E (Rubber Topped VS Non-Rubber Topped)

I will be buying all the items from this KIT.

Any recommendations regarding which if any of the cleaning kits to get?

Does it look like I have all the parts/tools I need?

Thanks in advanced for everyones help.

I literally just installed their door mount, 2 tap kit from that website, on my fridge. I asked them about the difference in kegs on the phone. The non rubber top kegs are new kegs. The rubber top kegs are used reconditioned and only a hair less in cost than the new kegs. They also stated that the used kegs were out of stock when I called them a few weeks back so it made my decision easy to just get the new kegs. They are nice.

If you want the used kegs, i'd recommend calling them up first to check stock before you place your order.

Edit-

noticed the link for the rubber tops were for new kegs, but the link says they are also on back order until July. The link to the kit you are looking at has the reconditioned kegs which might also be on backorder as well. I think the main difference besides appearance is a slight difference in dimensions. Height and width. I bought the kit with the non-rubber tops new kegs and they are very nice.

Thanks for the reply. Would you have any comments regard CO2 tank size or which cleaning kit to get? Does the CO2 tank need/should to be chilled?

Good to know on the kegs. I'll be call them this afternoon and checking if I can get that kit and pay extra for new kegs.

CO2 definitely does not need to be chilled. The regulator's 'CO2 remaining' gauge will not read correctly inside the fridge, but many folks keep it in there for ease and a cleaner look.

Great info. Talked to a representative during lunch and I've gotten a system put together to buy. I appreciate the help guys.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Would you have any comments regard CO2 tank size or which cleaning kit to get? Does the CO2 tank need/should to be chilled?

Good to know on the kegs. I'll be call them this afternoon and checking if I can get that kit and pay extra for new kegs.

I didn't bother with a cleaning kit, even though it may have been handy. I was just being cheap. I bought the 5# tank and I understand that it outta last a number of 5 gallon kegs before a refill.

Keeping the tank inside the fridge is a preference thing to me. One thing to keep in mind, that I didn't know until I went to fill the CO2 tank for the first time, is to chill it in the fridge so it's nice and cold when you bring it to get filled. they will be able to get more CO2 into the tank if it's cold rather than warm like mine.

There is a great thread on here about a DIY keg line cleaning system using a garden type pump sprayer. Really cheap and easy to use, just run some hot PBW through your lines every so often with it.

Back