Growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My brother in law was kind enough to give me a few of his used 64 to 67 ounce growlers that he had laying around. Two are from Russian River Brewing and have the flip tops, so those I know I just have to more or less clean, sanitize and change out the rubber gasket. The one in question has a screw top to it. Having never seen one of those, I am a bit unsure of how I go about obtaining a new top? I have seen them on Amazon so I know they are there, but are they reusable? The one on there is horribly dirty, so a new one is definitely in order. But do I order them in bulk and throw away as I use them, or can they be cleaned and reused?

Also, since I carb with sugar tablets, based on my math, I would need 5 sugar tablets for these. My math is as follows: 64 divided by 12 equals 5.333333 5.3333 12 ounce bottles at 1 tablet per 12 ounce bottle gives me about 5 per growler.

Also, how long does one of these growlers stay carbed up once open? I have never had one of these, so no experience at all.

As usual, any input is appreciated.

The one in question has a screw top to it. Having never seen one of those, I am a bit unsure of how I go about obtaining a new top? I have seen them on Amazon so I know they are there, but are they reusable?
You mean those shallow 1-1/8" diameter metal screw lids/tops?
I've reused them for as long as they can be cleaned.

If they stay on a stored, wet growler there's often mold growing inside the cap. Obviously those lids need replaced. The glass growlers themselves are very cleanable.

The rubber rings on the flip top growlers can last many, many years. Just don't store them clamped down as they may get a permanent indentation. And possible mold formation when they remain wet inside.

So, can I put the sugar tabs in and carbonate that way? I have been doing some searching on the internet and it says to basically run a rubber tube from your tap to the bottom of the growler and fill it that way? I can do that too.

So, can I put the sugar tabs in and carbonate that way?
You can't carbonate in a growler. They're not build to hold that kind of pressure.
I had one of those taproom-filled 64oz screw top ones explode in a cooler. Too much pressure build-up probably.

I have been doing some searching on the internet and it says to basically run a rubber tube from your tap to the bottom of the growler and fill it that way? I can do that too.
Although many taprooms and growler filler places do it that way, you'd still lose a lot of (precious) carbonation.

Filling growlers and bottles under counter pressure is best. Use an old bottle filler tube or a sawed off (plastic) racking cane with a (solid) drilled stopper. You'd gently squeeze the rubber stopper to let some pressure off while it's filling. It prevents excessive foaming, which is carbonation that's lost. When you do it right, you can fill the bottle or growler with virtually no foam on top.

You will need to clamp the filling hose onto your faucet. Those growler filler faucet inserts will pop out, if not secured in some way, due to the build-up pressure.

Thanks to all. I am glad I asked as I was going to drop a few carb tablets in them and let them go. So, with that said, not sure how I am going to do it. Will do a bit more research and get it right. Thanks again

Thanks to all. I am glad I asked as I was going to drop a few carb tablets in them and let them go. So, with that said, not sure how I am going to do it. Will do a bit more research and get it right. Thanks again
Bottle bombs, that's what you'd be making. Not an appropriate use of some growlers. Glad you got some good answers to a potential safety issue.

Pro tip: If you have a dirty cap, go to your nearest micro brewery and get a growler fill. Request a new cap. They'll replace it for free.

Disclaimer: Some states have laws that restrict breweries from filling growlers with someone else's branding. I've never experienced that myself, but I've heard stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not use to carbonate, but I share almost all my beer in growlers. Especially for parties or at a beer meeting.

Turn off CO2 to keg, purge keg, then turn CO2 on for maybe 2-3 seconds. That will slow the flow of beer coming from the liquid line. I pour out what's in the liquid line, then tilt and fill the growler like you would a pint glass. Once beer is at the top, keep filling until all the foam is gone and you have just liquid coming from top of growler. Cap on that, and you'll have carbonated beer for at least a month. Takes a few tries to master, but low and slow is key. It's never failed me in 7+ years!

Pro tip: If you have a dirty cap, go to your nearest micro brewery and get a growler fill. Request a new cap. They'll replace it for free.

Disclaimer: Some states have laws that restrict breweries from filling growlers with someone else's branding. I've never experienced that myself, but I've heard stories.
I have a few non labeled growlers I use for brewery fills in case of the branding issues. I keep the branded ones for my fills to give friends or bring somewhere.

On the growler topic I have several insulated stainless ones for just my use.

I have run into the growler branding issue in SoCal.

I have never bottle conditioned in a growler, but I would not hesitate to do so in a swing top growler. I would never bottle condition in a screw top growler.

I use growlers to transport beer from my tap or to hold yeast (bottom of the fermenter) that will be re-pitched.

Growlers filled from the tap can last a week or more; it depends on how many times the growler is opened. Each time it is opened, it looses CO2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Massachusetts used to require branded growlers that only the brand could fill, to narrow potential liability. That was changed in 2023 such that "blank" growlers can be filled by any legal tap operator (as well as expanding the size to pretty much "any" and the material to plastic, ceramic, metal or glass). The only real restriction now is you still cannot bring a branded growler to a different tap operator...

Cheers!

OK, so I am going to take it one step further. Once opened, how long does the beer stay carbonated and drinkable?
I would try to consume it in a couple days. Every time you open it you're introducing oxygen so it'll go flat soon.

A growler is four pints, 64 ounces so finishing one off shouldn't take long.

Latest posts

Back