nipple with no nut (clean)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
Has anyone made this mistake?

I would like to use this nipple (male/male) elsewhere in my configuration. Has anyone figured out an easy way to remove this? I imagine the only option is inserting something to create leverage inside the nipple. I have tried a pipe wrench, heat, pliers, nothing works...

1384744660207.jpg

What does the pipe wrench do? Have you placed the valve in a vice? I couldn't imagine why you wouldn't be able to remove this with a crescent wrench and an actual pipe wrench.

What do I use to generate leverage when all I have to grip is the valve (the easy part a wrench fits on) and the threads. If I really clamp it down in a vice I am assuming the threads on the nipple would be destroyed.

dont clamp on the threads, get yourself a pair of nuts, thread them on... then use 1 of the nuts against the other to create rotational movement

Sorry got fat fingered there...grab the nipple as close to the valve as you can..if you damage the threads in the center of the nipple it will still be reusable...or get a i.d. "pipe wrench" ratchet attachment..

You could wrap the nipple with a rag. Put a crescent wrench on the valve and a pipe wrench on the nipple. Used to do it all the time with black steel pipe working for the water department. I doubt you will need much umph to get the nipple out. A pipe wrench uses a cinching mechanism to grab the pipe so there shouldn't be much direct force to the threads. I would have no problems giving it a go.

If you are really that worried and have two nut (no pun intended), that would be a good way to go as well. If you have a crescent wrench, pipe wrench and a rag you have all the tools you need.

In addition to what's been said, think about replacing it with a hex nipple. I still have a few like you have, but I've replaced a number of them for ease of use.

thumb1_nuts.jpg

imagine the bolt shown is your available thread on your nipple and your ball valve is out of shot on left hand side

Turn the nut on the left till it impacts the one on the right AND keep going, the nut on the right doesn't move and the nippple will spin

easy-peasy and basically guaranteed zero thread damage

Once you've unthreaded, twist your nuts in opposite directions to free them

Surprised no one has said this...but why dont you just go to harbor freight and buy a nipple removal tool for 7 bucks...HD/Lowes sell them too for 5-6 bucks each.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-pipe-nipple-extractor-set-93822.html
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...ple-Extractor-Set-T167/100157800#.Uop-UPmVO6w

You push/screw it in which locks the teeth in the inside of the nipple, then hook it up to a wrench and just torque it counter clockwise and it will break free with almost zero effort. Then you just use some simple pliers on the extractor tool and the nipple to spin them opposite and it should pop right out.

They are a useful thing to have around anyways, as this will be something you have to deal with every once in awhile with fittings.

thumb1_nuts.jpg

imagine the bolt shown is your available thread on your nipple and your ball valve is out of shot on left hand side

Turn the nut on the left till it impacts the one on the right AND keep going, the nut on the right doesn't move and the nippple will spin

easy-peasy and basically guaranteed zero thread damage

Once you've unthreaded, twist your nuts in opposite directions to free them

THANK YOU, Worked like a charm. I should have asked WAY sooner!

Back