Plumbing help needed -- tips for easily removing Teflon™ tape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just disassembled my pump-related fittings for a deep cleaning - much needed given the gunk I found!

The most annoying part of the process was removing the old Teflon™ tape from the male threaded parts, which took up more than half my disassembly and cleaning time. (The few bits of tape left inside the female fittings were quick and easy.)

Does anyone have some tips to share on how to speed up this painstaking removal process?

I use a plumber's brush like this one. It'll do 1/2" and 3/4" pipe threads...

1694988179631.png

..but if the item is too large for this tool I just pick at it with something pointy...

Cheers!

Toothbrush, toothpicks, and a leftover picking tool from an assortment of picking tools which was an assortment of various shaped picks. Probably got it off Amazon or at Harbor Freight. I also have a few different sized nylon brushes, like small bottle brushes, that I use for cleaning different pieces of equipment.

The plumber's brush seems like a good fit but I wonder about its abrasiveness as they are meant for cleaning copper prior to soldering. May not be an issue with regard to SS or as a last resort.

+1 on the previous mentions. I've had 2 of the type of multi-brush @day_trippr showed, ...lost one (more likely it was stolen), the other fell on a wet floor and went un-noticed till it rusted, but they're the best for the job and reasonably cheap so I'll be picking up another sometime. In the meantime, a simple toothbrush works fine. SS is hard, and the last few times I've cleaned teflon off I've used a brass brush that looks just like a brass toothbrush that I got out of a >$1 bin at an auto-parts shop.

Sorry...I forgot the important part that makes the gunk amenable to using any brush on hand, even a finger-nail brush, floor-brush, or that little tap-cleaning brush that you bought off amazon and found out is too short for your taps...
Soak your parts first! When I have used PBW, I don't throw it out right away...I keep it in a large rectangular cooler and while PBW works best at around 130°, when it's cold it will still work if given time; I throw pyrex cassaroles, SS trays and such that have burnt on deposits into it for a day or so and it loosens everything off. When I'm disassembling and cleaning brewing parts I'll throw them in it overnight too. For the really built up deposits, I run them under hot water and shake a bit of Barkeepers Friend directly on the gunk and scrub with whatever brush I have nearby. Some deposits take longer than others, but like I said; SS is hard and unless you're using a SS brush, everything will come off without even a scratch on the hardware.

I don't throw it out right away
Thanks, Corvus. I too keep a tub of PBW Oxiclean at the brewery sink all the time. It's become my go-to cleaner for stubborn pans, cat barf, whatnot. Also, makes my glass "beer clean" before I draw a (usually half) pint.

I plan to get a plumber's brush (aka fitting brush) soon.

When it doesn't all come off the first time in a fairly continuous piece, it's going to be a pain no matter what. Lately it's been a pain every time.

I've resorted to most all the previous suggestions. No one particular thing gets it all, I have to use several of the mentioned methods each time.

Teflon tape comes in different widths and thicknesses (as well as the type of application, like gas). The thinnest ones seem to be hard to scrape out. A buddy of mine had I think a sleeve of teflon tape and gave me two rolls that are wide and fairly thick. Too thick and they don't wrap tight, and too wide seems to make it harder to wrap shorter lengths of threads (4-5 wraps and the amount of thread left visible is less than the teflon width). While thick, the freebies were fine there but the tape is a little wide for some situations. It was free though so I just adjust a little. But too thin can be hard to remove.

I agree soaking helps. I usually try to get some windings off first if possible and not too difficult. Also, resist trying to unwind the bottom end first, that knots it up and it breaks the tape usually.

Most probably know to apply it in the thread direction I hope. Makes removal easier too.

I use a stainless steel wire (hand) brush. Works like a charm.
I think I got a set of 3 at Harbor Freight: Stainless, Brass, and Nylon.

This is what I as hoping. All I've ever seen/bought is from a bin at the big box hardware store. Gotta find something thicker.
You could try a plumbing supply house. Tradespeople get aggravated with cheap quality and they use teflon tape all the time. It's annoying when the thin stuff breaks before finishing the wrap. I never liked the teflon tape I got from Lowes, it was thin and overpriced. If it's going to be cheap at least give me 6 rolls for cheap.

Using the Exacto pen knife I referenced earlier I can usually remove the teflon tape from the threads in 10 seconds or so. I picked up the knife about 30 years ago and I think I still have the original blade in it.

Using knife blade tips and ice picks usually ends with bandaids for me. When I have to clean our old Teflon tape from threads, I use a Dremel tool with a rotary wire brush.

Just make sure you use your wife's brush head; don't ruin yours.
Wouldn't be any different than when I clean the bathroom grout🤢!

J/K! Now there I have thought it might make for a good tool but only as forever dedicated to that task. They are kind of pricey though so maybe a knockoff brand. I'll probably just try the dremel though, I've been meaning to try out the wire cleaner on the dremel anyway.

Latest posts

Back