Attention Pittsburgh Hop Growers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmith

Reaction score
If you live along a state route in a western Pgh suburb at the top of the hill up from the on-ramp to I-79, please PM me!

I'm purposely trying to be vague about the exact location, but I drive past your hops on the way home each day and would love to talk to a fellow Pgh brewer & hop grower, especially one that lives so close to me.

Cheers!

I live nearby this area but never noticed the hops you speak of... but I'm replying because I'm actually looking to purchase hops rhizomes as a gift. However I realize it's nearly december and my timing is off for getting them in the ground. Do you know of local growers who sell hops rhizomes? My plan since timing is off would be to find a retailer, and purchase them for pickup in the spring (or whatever the appropriate time might be to get them in the ground).

If you can provide any insight for me that would be VERY helpful, these hops would be for my husband who has talked about growing his own for a few years now. I would love to surprise him with his own hoppy goodness to grow :)

Thanks!

I don't know of any local suppliers of hops. I bought mine from freshops and was very happy with the purchase. Rhizomes are typically shipped in the March-April time frame to ensure they're healthy and ready to plant when they get to you. You could probably buy them now and give them as an IOU gift - give a picture of a hop field or something to let him know what he's getting.

Is your husband involved in one of the local homebrew clubs? If so, perhaps we could meet up at a meeting or event to talk homebrewing. I'd love to meet other brewers that live out here in the western suburbs.

You may be talking about my hops. Depends where you are talking about on 79 but I grow mine right off the ramp there that you would be able to see from the highway.

Back