Liquor Sales in Anytown, USA - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Liquor Sales in Anytown, USA

Old 11-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Revere, MA, Massachusetts
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Out here in Massachusetts land we've got this ballot question today regarding selling wine in liquor stores. As opposed to a lot of places in the US, most booze here in Mass is sold at package stores who make 95+% of their money on beers, wines, and alcohol alone. Liquor licenses are usually hard to come by in most communities, cost a fortune, and are often tied up with all sorts of legal issues. The thought is to create and give out a new breed of liquor licenses to food stores so that they can sell wine. Not beer, not liquor, just wine.

I bring this up for a few reasons. I, personally, don't have any problem with competition. If it were up to me, I'd be able to get a 6 of north Coast at Radio Shack while I was buying some bateries for the clicker or something. My issue is actually - why stop at wine? Why not, at least, beer?

I don't buy the "selling liquor is dangerous to our kids" argument that opponents of this ballot question like to push. They feel that the less places that there are to buy alcohol, the better. Period. Alcohol is bad, our kids have an endless appetite for it, and people who sell it are irresponsible. The government must protect out kids!!!

What is the liquor-sale situation where some of you are from? Has any place undergone this transformation from exclusive liquor stores to food/convience stores being the primary suppliers?

This is inverse-progress in Massachusetts. We just got rid of a bunch of old blue laws withing the last few years......WE CAN FINALLY GO TO THE PACKIE ON SUNDAY NOW!!! I hope we don't go backwards....again.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Well, the propoganda that those opposed to Question 1 are presenting are based in large part on slippery slope - first wine in grovery stores, then wine in convenience stores, then beer, then hard liquor, then heroin and meth. It's crazy. It has nothing to do with public safety (are our streets any safer from drunk drivers than those in states that DO allow grocery stores to sell alcohol? If so, they would have beaten us over the head with the stats by now). It's all about competition and the monopoly interest that the packies have now.

I tell you, the grocery stores that I *can* buy booze in (Price Chopper in Pittsfield, Whole Foods in Hadley) are a LOT more stringent about selling to me (I look a lot younger than I am) than the average package store. Take that for what it's worth.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Want the answer: Follow the money.
Probably not a strong wine lobby, but a sronger liquor/beer distributor lobby doesn't want to rock the boat on their sweet deal.

In AZ, you can go to a Circle K and buy a Bud Light tall boy at the counter all iced up and ready for you to crack on your way home. (Illegal to have open container in the car, so why would it be at the counter ready to drink?)

I also expereinced this at a gas station on I-57 outside of Cairo, IL miles from any farmhouse or residence. Road Coke anyone?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

I love Ohio's drive-through convenience stores; you can get a six-pack from the comfort of your driver's seat.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Revere, MA, Massachusetts
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I love Ohio's drive-through convenience stores; you can get a six-pack from the comfort of your driver's seat.
I heave heard of these, but I feared they might just be a highway mirage. They do exist!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Todd
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Mechanicsburg PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

here in PA it is really messd up.

Want wine or liquor you have to go to the state store, this is a state run store which keeps a tight control over what you can buy and where you can get it. The have a terrible selection and the prices are high.

Beer, want a six pack or a case. Cases only from a beer distributor and sixxers only from a Bar.

Our state sucks, the reason is all the money and power. We also have liquor liscense that is very tough and expensive to get.

I was down in VA this summer and you can get beer and wine in the grocery store and they even sold it at the pizza shop.

If MA is asking if you want another option to buy wine I would vote YES. This can only help, after some time start to push for other options.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I was up in Flagstaff a couple years back. THe drive through liquor store sold us a bottle of Jim Beam and a box of shotgun shells.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Mechanicsburg PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
I heave heard of these, but I feared they might just be a highway mirage. They do exist!

We have a drive through beer distributor where you get cases and never leave the car.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

You can buy beer and wine at just about every convenience store or grocery store (which also sell hard) and most gas stations. In addition, there are liquor stores EVERYWHERE that sell beer, wine, hard liquor, etc.

Most liquor stores and c-stores in my area are owned by Indo-Pak immigrants. Some of the stores can stay sell alcohol as late as 4am, but most liquor stores close at 10:00-1:00am. 7-11 sells beer and wine (used to sell hard). I have a 7-11 and a liquor store across the street.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

I grew up in PA where liquor might as well have been the devil in a bottle (see Todd's post above). So, it's always amazing to me how easy it is to get beverages in almost any other state. Here in NM, I can buy beer, wine, and liquor at Wal Mart!