Do chest freezers go on sale at particular times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseyfert3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do chest freezers usually go on sale at particular times of the year, such as holidays or similar? We're planning on making a kreezer here in the next month or so, but I'd hate to buy a freezer for $500 for it to go on sale for $400 a week later or something like that.

I'm new here. I've never made homemade fermented alcoholic drinks before, but I've planned on making cider/wine from various fruit for a few years now. Problem was I kept moving before the fruit I planted to get into production.

Recently picked up some used winemaking supplies, and decided to make some cider. Stumbled on Edwort's apfelwein and decided that would be my first ever batch of fermented homemade drink with storebought apple juice. I'm thinking of dabbling in making beer as well at some point.

Then since I'm going to actually start some cider/apfelwein, and since we had been talking about getting a kegerator recently anyway for commercial/craft beer keg purchases, we just decided to go all in and we bought the two 5-gallon corny keg kit with regulator and lines from Northern Brewer. We can always get a sanke adapter and use that for commercial beer/cider kegs, but somehow I doubt we'll buy commercial kegs if we're making homemade kegs...

I want to get a freezer with room to grow, as I expect we'll probably want 3-4 beers/ciders on tap at any particular time, with room for additional kegs and probably some commercially produced beer/cider bottles (although I suspect we won't have as many of those hanging around once the homemade stuff starts coming down the pipeline).

I was thinking we may just go right to a 14 cubic foot model to give us plenty of growing room. Plus while I doubt we will ever have ~11 kegs, the extra room will double as extra refrigerator space, which could always come in handy if we're hosting large gatherings and people bring food.

Any thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
The biggest discount on appliances (at Lowe's) is the black friday sale. They are 30-40% off. The best sale you will see prior to that will be their rotating "discounts". These are usually around 20%. Wait for the red tags.

Also keep an eye on their "scratch and dents". I buy a few dozen of these a year. If you have multiple stores in your area, hit them all every 2 weeks or so.

Now is probably not a good time to shop for a chest freezer due to the frozen food hoarding during this pandemic.

Wait until after the pandemic and I'm sure you'll get some very lightly used chest freezers on Craigslist for cheap...

That's a great point, I had not thought of. When this is over it should be a buyers market.
Unfortunately, mine is shot and I needed to order one at Menards. Over 30 day wait.
While it was not "price gouging" I'm sure a better price would have been available under different circumstances.

Now is probably not a good time to shop for a chest freezer due to the frozen food hoarding during this pandemic.

Wait until after the pandemic and I'm sure you'll get some very lightly used chest freezers on Craigslist for cheap...

I was thinking about this very point yesterday but could imagine it working in the opposite direction for several years to come. I think it used to be the case that people would buy a freezer and load it up once or twice and then kind of stop using it and eventually sell it cheap on craigslist to reclaim a few square feet of their garage or basement.

In future people seem likely to remember the great pandemic and think it might be worth the space to hang on to it "just in case". But I could see a big inventory on these showing up near the beginning of next flue season (maybe Labor Day sales?).

The comments about people buying freezers may be correct, but for exactly how long will the pandemic last? I'd rather be drinking homebrews instead of waiting 6 months to save $50-$100. My implication was for any sales in the next couple months, might not have made that very clear. :)

Someone mentioned Memorial Day. That's probably about the latest I'd want to wait to get a deal, cause that's probably about when I'd want to keg my first batch. Suppose I could always bottle my first batches but that seems undesirable if I've got a kegging system sitting around just waiting for a freezer to use.

I certainly am not waiting until Black Friday! I'd miss all those homebrews I could be drinking while floating in the pool we're putting up this summer! :D

This somewhat reminds me of how I bought a truck a month ago and didn't trade in my SUV it's replacing because I could get more money on a private sale. That's true, but I didn't think about how the current pandemic would be affecting auto sales till about a week later...on the brightside at least I've got a truck now so I can save on delivery fees if the freezer I choose doesn't hit the threshold for free delivery!

Anyhow, what's the consensus on Memorial Day sales? Anything consistent? If not, I'll just buy a freezer now. That way I can have it modded with a collar, painted (if I choose to do that), and otherwise ready to go by the time my afpelwein is ready.

Also keep an eye on their "scratch and dents". I buy a few dozen of these a year. If you have multiple stores in your area, hit them all every 2 weeks or so.
Good idea. I've got Home Depot, Menard's, and Best Buy (along with Walmart) all 5 minutes away. There's a Lowe's but it's about 25 minutes away, so not great for checking scratch and dents on a regular basis.

Given we're in anything but a traditional state right now, conjecture about anything traditional might not carry the highest odds of coming to pass. If I was hot to get with the dispensin' I'd pull the trigger now and not wait...

Cheers!

Also bear in mind that as the demand is high right now it's common for manufacturers to up their production and they usually keep up with it until it drops off...then those last few units of overproduction are on sale. Woop woop!

I bought a brand new 10cf chest freezer (insignia) from best buy last year on a memorial day sale. regular price was $319 and I paid $249.99 ~$70 savings. I liked the dimensions of it as I can fit 6 5gallon kegs on the bottom of my keezer. On the hump I have a 5lb CO2 tank and EvaDry dehumidifier with room to put a 7th 5 gallon keg to carbonate if I wanted (because I built a tall enough collar). Although I usually use that extra hump space for my 5L flask to crash my yeast starter the night before I brew. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back