A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will leave the kit up indefinetly in honor of Kevin. I will donate proceeds until everyone that wants to donate is done ordering. If that means the end of the year so be it.

I just want to be clear that by proceeds, I am referring to the profits from that particular kit. As much as I would love to donate the gross receipts from each kit, I can not without going out of business. I think everyone probably already knows this but I just want to be sure.

Ed

I'd say this was understood, but it's understandable to clear it up.

Speaking of which, Ed, if we just order some of the ingredients (specialty grains, hops etc) would there still be a way for you to donate the proceeds. I will be getting what I need from you either way but just wondered.

Here is how you can do exactly that. Go to the recipe page, and click customize w/ Brew Builder. The complete recipe will open up in the Brew Builder. Click Buy Recipe, and you will be taken to another screen where you will see Required Ingredients. You can 0 out any of the existing ingredients, and then add to the cart at the bottom of the screen. The name of the recipe will still come through as Shiver Me Bitters.

Ed

I have also had a few requests for an extract version of the recipe. Any thoughts on converting it and putting it online. I really do not want to over step my bounds, or take any liberties. What do you guys think?

Ed

Extract should be fine. We want this to be inclusive. I want those that get the gift beers to get the full range of flavors achieved by many brewers using different techniques, equipment, etc.

Here is how you can do exactly that. Go to the recipe page, and click customize w/ Brew Builder. The complete recipe will open up in the Brew Builder. Click Buy Recipe, and you will be taken to another screen where you will see Required Ingredients. You can 0 out any of the existing ingredients, and then add to the cart at the bottom of the screen. The name of the recipe will still come through as Shiver Me Bitters.

Ed

I just didn't know if that would still show up in your system as being that recipe.

Ok, just worked on it a minute. Here's the labels and what they would look like (roughly) on the bottle.

3816462740_69db2e9aca.jpg

3816434716_ff9fe86104.jpg

3815607563_dc6851d6cd.jpg

3816423278_dfa0198067.jpg

I'm in, contingent on having some help with the labeling thing. Never done it before. Thanks again, ollllo.

Hey shecky, just print it out and use a glue stick to apply the labels, that's all I do.

I'm in as well... I need to get brewing!

I'm in too but it's my first swap. Can we get a non-posting thread or sticky that has all the details spelled out?

It's hard to keep track of pertinent information with all the discussion clutter. :eek:

I just used the brewbuilder to order mine minus a couple of items i already have. Thank you, Ed for making it so easy and for your great contribution to the project!

Got this scheduled to Brew the weekend of my birthday. Sunday Aug. 30th if anybody wants to come down and brew with me. Bring your gear. I have water :)

Has anything been decided as far as if we are following the recipe exactly? If I can swap hops for the tett then I can brew it this weekend.

I'm failing badly on the memorial writing for the back label. I don't see a time in the near future when I will be drunk enough, so I've had to try it sober for the time being.

Here is a first draft. I would be grateful for any input anyone may have. There is plenty that I'm not happy with yet. I'm putting this here to try and speed things up a bit. Please feel free to dismiss it.

Beer is always best when drank with a friend.
Fate sometimes conspires to steal our friends and thus sour our beer.
At times like these we should raise a glass to our friend, and a middle finger to fate.
While Kevin's family continue to love him, he cannot be truly gone.
While his friends continue to brew his recipe, he does not cease to be a brewer.
This ale was brewed by a friend of Kevin, for a comrade and fellow brewer.

This ale is best when served with good memories.

Again, there is the middle finger reference in the avatar that may not be suitable for family recipients of the beer.

I'm failing badly on the memorial writing for the back label. I don't see a time in the near future when I will be drunk enough, so I've had to try it sober for the time being.

Here is a first draft. I would be grateful for any input anyone may have. There is plenty that I'm not happy with yet. I'm putting this here to try and speed things up a bit.

Beer is always best when drank with a friend.
Fate sometimes conspires steal our friends and attempt to sour our beer.
At times like these we should raise a glass to our friend, and a middle finger to fate.
While Kevin's family continue to love him, he cannot be truly gone.
While his friends continue to brew his recipe, he will always be a brewer.
This ale was brewed by a friend of Kevin, for a friend and fellow brewer.
This ale is best served with good memories.

Again, there is the middle finger reference in the avatar that may not be suitable for family recipients of the beer.
I like these lines.
Ditto on the finger reference for family, But I'll use it on mine. I only plan to do the HBT swap.

As of right now we have 8 brewers.
4 want to exchange with 3 others
4 want to exchange with 2 others

6 want to gift beer to the Rovers

4 want to gift beer to the Family/Friends

There's a good chance the the gift beers may never be drank. It will serve as a keepsake. It will be a reminder of what Kevin loved to do. That's the nature of a gift.

There's a good chance the the gift beers may never be drank. It will serve as a keepsake. It will be a reminder of what Kevin loved to do. That's the nature of a gift.

Very true. And that would be great. I am also hoping though, that the Greenwood Rovers will get enough beer sent to them to at least share a good toast in Kevin's honour. Either way, it's a win/win situation. :)

ollllllo, if you need to change how many or to whom our beers are going just let me know. I checked boxes on the form but feel change it up however works the best.

I'm throwing this out there as a possibility as well. I would be willing to have a local brew gathering with anyone else in the Chicago area to brew this. Kevin's brother said he would love to participate in anything in the area so I would love to have him an any other Greenwood Rovers participate.

I'm going to post this in the Chicagoland Brewers group as well to try and drum up interest.

I'm throwing this out there as a possibility as well. I would be willing to have a local brew gathering with anyone else in the Chicago area to brew this. Kevin's brother said he would love to participate in anything in the area so I would love to have him an any other Greenwood Rovers participate.

I'm going to post this in the Chicagoland Brewers group as well to try and drum up interest.

I will be arriving in the Chicago area on the 30th of August and spending about 7 weeks there with a client. I would be absolutley thrilled to partake in such an event. I know the 30th is a bit off but if y'all hold off until a weekend within the timeframe I am in town I will be there, for sure. And please let me know if there is anything i can do to assist planning the event.

Ok. I'm going to get this ball rolling although I may not be the lead organizer when all is said and done.

As such, I'm going to make some command decisions. The overall goal of these decisions is to ensure the success of the tribute beer, the labeling and the distribution.

I see that there will probably be beers going to 3 different groups.
1) Exchanges among HBTers
2) Gifts to Kevin's social club, The Greenwood Rovers.
3) Gifts to the family and friends.

We will have the option to send beers to 1 or all three.

I have made contact with someone within the Rovers and that will likely be the person that I will coordinate #2 with.

UncleMike https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/sa...drovers-family-131499/index3.html#post1483220 seems to be the person with which to coordinate #3. We'll likely send to one individual from that group and let them distribute.

The opinion right now seems to be swinging toward an ESB recipe and some label with a variant of the Cash avatar. These things are still up for discussion, but we will be deciding on this within a few days. There may be a need to create a different label for those in the #3 group, I don't know.

My #1 requirement for the labels is that we all use them. The packaging is very important. I would also like to see an area on the label that we all have the liberty to personalize with our own logos or at the very least our name or handle.

More to come.

Thank you for leading me to this post. I am a fellow Greenwood Rover with Kevin and found myself searching for a way to get a hold of Shiver Me Bitters to share with the boys. I was hoping it would be a surprise but apparently another Rover beat me to it. Thank you all for your kind words and generosity towards Kevin. Honestly, we are all very moved by your support of Kevin and his family. I am really looking forward to sampling Shiver Me Bitters. Thank you so very much!

All,

We are so incredibly touched by your thoughtfulness and generosity. Kevin's brother, Mike (Uncle Mike) posted as well, and would like to also be included in any of your plans. It's been mentioned repeatedly that Kevin touched the lives of people he didn't even know, and I am honored that you are all paying sucn tribute to him. He would be thrilled. I will check here often - I think Kev would like me to do that. Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything.

Laura Dennis - Mrs. Greenwood Rover

On Monday, just two short days after losing Kevin a few friends and myself headed up to Kev and Lauras house to help with things that needed to get done in prep for the upcoming days. After walking into the basement a couple of us who maybe before that moment never understood the time which was spent tinkering with his homebrew hobby were awakened. Here was this hobby that had become part of Kevs life, where he made online friends, went to beer tasting events...etc. that I had no idea about. Laura told us of nights where she would make dinner and bring it to the garage where Kev would be churning his brew in what looked like a witches cauldron. He would bring his brews to Rover events and make sure that we tried his latest creation.....Well, I could tell Kev stories all day and there are a bunch of us who probably could as well, but the real reason I am here and joined the site was to say thank you. On Monday, Laura had told us that she had read some of the things that were posted in memory of Kev shortly after his passing. Well, yesterday a friend received a link on his phone which I ran inside Kevs house to pull up on the computer. I was in awe by what I saw....Here was this online brewing thread about my friend Kevin... I was almost brought to tears knowing that Kev not only had an impact on people close to him but people all over the damn globe. I called laura in the house and showed her the Shiver Me Bitters link with the call out on the bottom of the page which stated that proceeds would be donated to the family. I just want to say thank you to those of you who have said nice things about Kev and taken time to do anything at all to remember him. I can assure you that I would love to along with quite a few other guys who call themselves the Greenwood Rovers, join you in a toast to kev.

Thanks again....

Darrell
(oh, by the way...I read EVERY post in the thread, and trust me...all of this is appreciated more than you guys will ever know)

It's time to return the thanks to Kevin's family and friends.

It has been a difficult few days for everyone, I think. Some of us members of HBT have been treading eggshells to a certain degree in what we have been trying to plan to honour Kevin's memory. The donations thread was a no brainer once Gila thought it up. The original thread was heart wrenching because not only were we deeply saddened by the news, we knew that we were giving our condolences directly to Laura, who was kind enough to tell us about this tragedy. Then came the problems of the memorial beer thread, which is proving tough because this will be a very personal thing. This beer will be going not only to friends of Kevin, but also to his family.

I think it is wonderful that after Laura we have had input here from Mike, Brian and Darrell. Their involvement in this forum gives us a terrific opportunity to help us not screw this thing up. Many of us have been particularly worried about the nature of the label etc. for this brew. The labeling and writing subjected thus far has, we feel, probably been appropriate for the eyes of the Greenwood Rovers, but what about family?

To Laura, Mike, Brian and Darrell . If you see anything in our plans at any stage that rings alarm bells for you, PLEASE feel free to simply jump in and let us all know. We need to get this right, and your help would be greatly appreciated. Please don't feel that you need to keep quiet. This forum never got anywhere by anyone keeping quiet. ;)

A little late to all this as I was out of town and not on HBT, but I'm in on the memorial brew exchange for sure. Quite a fitting HBT memorial for someone who will be sorely missed.

All - thanks again for all of the support to Kev's family. It's been awesome for all of us to read all the postings regarding what Kev was up to.

A few of us are attempting to take on the brewing where Kev left off. We hope to have things in order to start the process for the first batch in a few weeks.

Looking forward to getting advice on how not to blow up my house, and actually make something that would not make our friends throw up.

Ronne

Ronne,
Welcome aboard!

Take your time and read a bunch here. When you're ready to do your first batch, we'll be here to help with as many questions as you have. No question is too mundane. We all started right where you are. Knowing next-to-nothing and wanting to brew good beer.

B

Hello friends of Greenwood Rover,

My name is DJP, and I was a close friend to Kevin John Dennis, a.k.a. "Greenwood Rover." I have spent hours over the past couple days reading all of your posts, and I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you for your kind words about Kevin John, and for all your support. Also, I wanted to say THANK YOU for starting a donation fund for Laura and the boys (Jack and Quinn). Your generosity is unbelievable, and I thank you greatly for being such great people. The Rovers are looking forward to the "Shiver Me Bitter" brew. Thank you for going out of your way to honor our friend. Your acts of kindness are greatly appreciated.

Kevin John was such a generous person, and he always went out of his way to make sure his friends and family were happy. One way he did this was by bringing his freshly brewed beer (and food) to all of the Rover events. The Rovers are very excited about carrying on Kev's hobby of brewing good beer, as just one way to keep Kev's memory alive. I'm sure we will have many questions for you guys since we know nothing about brewing beer, so I look forward to communicating with you in the near future.

Thanks again to everyone for all that you have done. The Rovers will raise their glass to all of you next time we get together.

DJP

Welcome to the forum DJP, barko12, Ronne, Darrell, and any other Rovers I missed. I did not know Kevin but as a fellow member on the forum and a homebrewer with family and kids, his loss has reminded me of my own mortality and the importance of family, friends, and sharing our experiences such as homebrewing.

I will be brewing the Shiver me Bitters memorial beer with another member in honor of Kevin, and hope to share it with you.

Welcome also to the homebrewing hobby. Nearly everything I have learned about brewing has been from this forum. The HBT forum is like a big homebrewing family and it has created many friendships between people who share the joy of the brewing hobby. Even between some of us that may never meet in person. I hope you all will find it as enjoyable as I have.

I'm not sure that Laura and other friends of Kevin are aware, but he entered our homebrew competition. If any of his family or friends still want to send in his beers for this competition, we'd be honored to receive them. Please let me know, and I'll make sure you get new entry forms. Kevin received them, but they may be "stuck" in his email somewhere.

He had four beers entered in the competition. Please let us know if you'd like to enter his beers on his behalf. I can give you instructions- it would be easy as long as you knew which beers were which. He told me which kinds he was entering.

I've been thinking about him so much these last few days. Please know that he touched many of our lives, and we really did think very highly of him.

Welcome friends and family of Kevin. We are here for you, just as we were here for him and he for us.

We are all more than happy to assist with anything related to beer and brewing.

I can only imagine what you all are going through right now. Take Care and hang around.

As some of you may or may not know, I'm with the Cascade Brewing Society in Central OR. There are 20 or so beers. A regional treasure of a blues band led by Ty Curtis who is all of 21 years is playing. Don Webb of Naked City is here. Our own Natas is here fresh off brewing his first batch for Rogue Issaqua. Chis Studach of Rogue is here. John Mayer founder of Rogue is here. And someone else is here too. Please click the link. I don't have the ability to embed the image. http:/www.ff.im/6FJIL

0815092054-feed.jpg

Latest posts

Back