Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if anyone here makes their own bacon. I just saw episode 2 of Chop & Brew and all I can think about is making me some yummy yummy bacon.
HBT link on bacon:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/any-bacon-makers-here.520751/

I have done about 6 bellies using this recipe/method:
Bacon and Loin Cure Recipe

Morton Sugar Cure per instructions, added about 2 cups of brown sugar, about 4T of fresh ground mixed pepper(pink, white, Black)

Had about 11# belly from Costco, bellies are skinless. Cut it in 3 pcs. Rubbed cure on all sides of each piece. Put each piece in 1 gal ziplock bag. Stacked bags in a loaf pan case of leaks. Once a day flipped each bag over, rotated bottom bag to top. Cured for a week, removed rinsed meat off, rinsed bags. Put meat back in bag, filled with cold water, left em soak for a couple hours to lessen saltiness.
Dried em on rack in fridge overnight to enable smoke to adhere.
Smoked over lump charcoal with oak/apple chunks at 200* to internal temp of 135-140*.
After smoking, cool on rack in fridge overnight to cool prior to slicing.

They don't make Morton Sugar Cure any more, replaced by Morton Tender Quick.

A couple hours left on this 23 lb beast.

20190213_152537.jpeg

Smoking a chuck roast today. Be my first one. Lol, I'd have never thought of doing one until discovering this smoking thread a few weeks ago.
Brined it last night and in fact gotta go now to get it out of the fridge and get the smoker ready. Excited

Smoking a chuck roast today. Be my first one. Lol, I'd have never thought of doing one until discovering this smoking thread a few weeks ago.
Brined it last night and in fact gotta go now to get it out of the fridge and get the smoker ready. Excited
Congrats. Chuck is like poor-mans brisket. Great flavor, little work. Kind of like pork shoulder or butt. Very forgiving on temperature.

My last two bags I mixed were oak and apple. Crabapple I have used and I cant remeber, but I think it was interesting. Anybody ever use that?

I have never used pecan but I heard that's what they use in competitions. I've also heard some like it and some don't. Apparently it imparts a rich nutty flavor, which I would be cool with I imagine. I have heard it's tough to mix with anything else. My favorite is Hickory and Cherry mixed. I did Cherry by itself and that's not for me. Now I'm wondering if cherry with a little Mesquite mixed in would be interesting. We have been eating that pork above all week. Microwave does a great job finishing it off. What fat the smoker doesn't get, it will.
Yo Apple, I have Cherry and Hickory now. Is it 50/50 you like? All I got are chips so have some oak in case I run out. Just curious.

Yo Apple, I have Cherry and Hickory now. Is it 50/50 you like? All I got are chips so have some oak in case I run out. Just curious.
What are you smoking?
50/50 is safe for most. I go heavier on hickory if I am smoking something with bold flavors like beef.
Heavier on cherry for chicken/fish/rabbit.
Pork, shoulder/butt do whatcha like. Its so forgiving that you almost can't go wrong.
Ribs or belly, just depends onmy mood and how I plan on seasoning/finishing (dry rub? Sauced? Wet or crispy?l

Appreciate you asking pianoman, yeah it's about 50/50 and then play from there. If anything I would go less cherry, but ymmv. I'm jealous I've been out of cherry and haven't restocked so have been mixing apple and other stuff. Meh, cherry and Hickory is King, although I haven't tried pecan and many other types of wood. Excited to see how you like it and good on you for giving it a try.

Last edited:
I bought a second Chuck but haven't had time to smoke it and it needs cooked today. I'm thinking about pressure cooking it, but welcome any ideas. I was thinking about searing it and then finishing it in the oven.

I bought a second Chuck but haven't had time to smoke it and it needs cooked today. I'm thinking about pressure cooking it, but welcome any ideas. I was thinking about searing it and then finishing it in the oven.

Did two large chucks in the slow cooker this past wkend. Pot roast, nothing better! I actually used 2 slow cookers. I get the chuck seared on all sides in a frypan, then fill it the rest of the way up with vegies. Can't have too many carrots.

Congrats. Chuck is like poor-mans brisket. Great flavor, little work. Kind of like pork shoulder or butt. Very forgiving on temperature.

Really? Seems to me that everywhere I look, chuck is more expensive than brisket.

I think it's more just a supply/demand thing. Your average consumer knows to look for "chuck roast" when they're doing some sort of slow-cooker roast. So chuck shows up in a lot more recipes, where brisket (especially full packers) are mostly done by BBQ folks. Especially because the typical chuck roast is a 3-4# cut everywhere I find them, while brisket is 10+#, sometimes almost 20#. So fewer people invest in a brisket.

Really? Seems to me that everywhere I look, chuck is more expensive than brisket.

I think it's more just a supply/demand thing. Your average consumer knows to look for "chuck roast" when they're doing some sort of slow-cooker roast. So chuck shows up in a lot more recipes, where brisket (especially full packers) are mostly done by BBQ folks. Especially because the typical chuck roast is a 3-4# cut everywhere I find them, while brisket is 10+#, sometimes almost 20#. So fewer people invest in a brisket.
Something to be said for that! Of course the packers are much larger than your 4-5 lbs chucks. I'll need to compare some pricing next time I'm at the store.

Did two large chucks in the slow cooker this past wkend. Pot roast, nothing better! I actually used 2 slow cookers. I get the chuck seared on all sides in a frypan, then fill it the rest of the way up with vegies. Can't have too many carrots.
How much liquid, that sounds amazing. I think I am using way to much liquid in slow cooker. Wish I would have saw this, tbis is the inspiration I needed. I seared it on both sides as best as I could using the pressure cooker in sear mode, with 3/4 onion. Set the pc on highest 80 psi, and 30 minutes later it was 190 plus in thickest part. Now this wasnt going to win any awards but it sure was good none the less. Used 3/4 cup water. wonder if it needed any?

How much liquid, that sounds amazing. I think I am using way to much liquid in slow cooker. Wish I would have saw this, tbis is the inspiration I needed. I seared it on both sides as best as I could using the pressure cooker in sear mode, with 3/4 onion. Set the pc on highest 80 psi, and 30 minutes later it was 190 plus in thickest part. Now this wasnt going to win any awards but it sure was good none the less. Used 3/4 cup water. wonder if it needed any?

5# chuck, seared brown on all sides, put in slow cooker, pkt of onion soup mix and 1 cup of water on top. Cook on low (slow simmer) all day, 6 hrs. Then add all veggies and cook at least 2 hrs more. Very easy. For vegies, 1" chunks of carrots, celery, and quartered pototoes and onions. I think it's a basic pot roast recipe, but family loves it.

When you add the vegies, add additional water to barely cover them.

Bbq wise, brisket is premier and F-ing amazing when done right, but **** when done wrong. Chuck, however, very forgiving.
I usually find prime brisket for under $4.00/lb, Chuck is delicious and takes about 1/4 of the investment of time and stress as a brisket.

What are you smoking?
50/50 is safe for most. I go heavier on hickory if I am smoking something with bold flavors like beef.
Heavier on cherry for chicken/fish/rabbit.
Pork, shoulder/butt do whatcha like. Its so forgiving that you almost can't go wrong.
Ribs or belly, just depends onmy mood and how I plan on seasoning/finishing (dry rub? Sauced? Wet or crispy?l
Appreciate you asking pianoman, yeah it's about 50/50 and then play from there. If anything I would go less cherry, but ymmv. I'm jealous I've been out of cherry and haven't restocked so have been mixing apple and other stuff. Meh, cherry and Hickory is King, although I haven't tried pecan and many other types of wood. Excited to see how you like it and good on you for giving it a try.
Thanks fellas and cheers. Got a game plan now with this small 10lb $20 brisket.
20190215_071438.jpeg

5# chuck, seared brown on all sides, put in slow cooker, pkt of onion soup mix and 1 cup of water on top. Cook on low (slow simmer) all day, 6 hrs. Then add all veggies and cook at least 2 hrs more. Very easy. For vegies, 1" chunks of carrots, celery, and quartered pototoes and onions. I think it's a basic pot roast recipe, but family loves it.

I usually use vegetable broth... last time I threw in a can of cream of mushroom and the gravy it turned into was fantastic.

Bbq wise, brisket is premier and F-ing amazing when done right, but **** when done wrong. Chuck, however, very forgiving.
I usually find prime brisket for under $4.00/lb, Chuck is delicious and takes about 1/4 of the investment of time and stress as a brisket.

Totally get that. Brisket is always right on the edge of wrong, even when you get it right. I can see the stress being more important than the cost. I just found it odd to call a more expensive [typically] cut of meat a poor-man's brisket.

I realize we're stepping outside of meat "smoking" here, but we make this one regularly and it's amazing...

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246721/mississippi-roast-slow-cooker-pepperoncini-pot-roast/

Typically we add more pepperoncini than that (typically 8-10 for a 3-5# roast). And I think we've skipped the au jus mix too and doubled the ranch mix. There aren't any veggies or potatoes in this, so we usually roast those and serve them on the side.

Even the kids like this one.

I've smoked about 10 briskets/5 turkeys now in the last 2 years to so for family get together and holidays. From $2/lbs to CAB $7/lbs. Never "messed" one up. Some a bit too smoky some a bit to tough, some with light flavor but never did we not chow down and of course learned from the errors.

The worst brisket I ever had was retail. Had zero flavor but extra sauce helped. I am curious on your negative experiences..

I've smoked about 10 briskets/5 turkeys now in the last 2 years to so for family get together and holidays. From $2/lbs to CAB $7/lbs. Never "messed" one up. Some a bit too smoky some a bit to tough, some with light flavor but never did we not chow down and of course learned from the errors.

The worst brisket I ever had was retail. Had zero flavor but extra sauce helped. I am curious on your negative experiences..

I think part of it is that we're comparing it to excellent, often "perfect", brisket. If I'm making brisket, I want it to be perfect for my guests. It's not like I make it for a random Tuesday. It's an event unto itself. I disagree with S-Met that it's "****" when done wrong, but would agree that when comparing it to what we all know it's heights can be, missing the mark certainly doesn't end up very exciting.

Brisket is a difficult piece of meat. It's not particularly uniform in size, nor in makeup. The point is significantly more fatty than the flat. The fat cap is often irregular. The area of the flat that overlaps the point will cook at a different rate than the portion that is "bare". The "stall" for each is different. The temp at which they pass the probe test for tenderness is different. Couple that with each one being a little different. One brisket is more or less marbled than the next. One tapers to a thinner flat while another is more thick and uniform throughout. You only have a few at the store to choose from, so it's not like you can pick the exact same size/shape brisket every time. You pick the best one and hope it cooks the same as the last one.

And we regularly want to serve it sliced, such that it perfectly passes the bend test, while being moist without being mushy. To get it into that perfect range, every time, is an art I have not personally yet perfected. While my "mistakes" are certainly edible, and even better than most brisket you'll find at a lot of restaurants, it's hard as hell to make the brisket at the level I want to eat, every time I cook one.

Compare that to a pork butt... It's damn near impossible to screw up a pork butt.

and.....wood types obviously make a difference. I'm using chips, which I've never done to this extent. It appears I was smothering the heat. Barely got the grill above 180F until realizing what was going on. Anyways after 8hrs, at stall zone and in the oven. Oh well, it's just family. [emoji6]

Thanks for the write up @bwarbiany. I see @applescrap nice looking pork butts also and that is officially on the list next time.

I disagree with S-Met that it's "****" when done wrong, but would agree that when comparing it to what we all know it's heights can be, missing the mark certainly doesn't end up very exciting.
Depends on how far the mark is missed. There is a different margin of error with everyone and everything.
I've had incredibly awful brisket. Think creosote and shoe leather. I've had jerky thats less chewy. Thankfully this is not the norm, but I have had overly dead charred brisket far more often than other cuts.

Your setup and environment make a big difference as well as what tools you have available. If your at all novice for smoking and/or working in less-than-ideal conditions (unfamiliar stick-burner, high wind, rainstorm, 20°below, hurricane, really fuggin drunk) maybe a more forgiving cut like chuck is the way to go.

Well, this wasn't my best. Pulled at 205F/198F depending on measurement location.

Hickory/Cherry with some Oak added great smoke. Dry rubbed with Tony's. Great flavor!. Very chewy tho. I was thinking meat would fall apart at those temps. IDK what happened. Only thing I used a new probe from Christmas w/wireless reading. Could the temp calibration be off? I brined overnight also.

I think part of it is that we're comparing it to excellent, often "perfect", brisket. If I'm making brisket, I want it to be perfect for my guests. It's not like I make it for a random Tuesday. It's an event unto itself. I disagree with S-Met that it's "****" when done wrong, but would agree that when comparing it to what we all know it's heights can be, missing the mark certainly doesn't end up very exciting.

Brisket is a difficult piece of meat. It's not particularly uniform in size, nor in makeup. The point is significantly more fatty than the flat. The fat cap is often irregular. The area of the flat that overlaps the point will cook at a different rate than the portion that is "bare". The "stall" for each is different. The temp at which they pass the probe test for tenderness is different. Couple that with each one being a little different. One brisket is more or less marbled than the next. One tapers to a thinner flat while another is more thick and uniform throughout. You only have a few at the store to choose from, so it's not like you can pick the exact same size/shape brisket every time. You pick the best one and hope it cooks the same as the last one.

And we regularly want to serve it sliced, such that it perfectly passes the bend test, while being moist without being mushy. To get it into that perfect range, every time, is an art I have not personally yet perfected. While my "mistakes" are certainly edible, and even better than most brisket you'll find at a lot of restaurants, it's hard as hell to make the brisket at the level I want to eat, every time I cook one.

Compare that to a pork butt... It's damn near impossible to screw up a pork butt.
I wrote this for one of your previous posts, but decided to add it on its own. Then read this and others comments and realized I should delve into this........

"I have never had a bad brisket. Brisket is my spirit food, I think. I trim to an eight inch all around like I was cutting diamonds. Nothing but heavy kosher salt and cut straight in half and cooked at 275 cherry and hickory to 195."

Honestly thought its just because I am jewish and grew up with this meat, but as I read your comments, I think I may have stumbled on a bunch of dumb luck. I am impatient so I smoke at 275. Welp any lower and by the time its finished it might be dry. I trim them really well keeping end product in mind. My smoker wont fit a full one. Cut in half and each half probed I can cook each half to the exact temp, finish, I want. I choose a thick even flat. Perhaps electric smoker is good for them. I just havent effed one up yet, knock on wood. The flat finishes hours before the point fwtw. Maybe 2, 3 or 4 hours after cant recall.

Depends on how far the mark is missed. There is a different margin of error with everyone and everything.
I've had incredibly awful brisket. Think creosote and shoe leather. I've had jerky thats less chewy. Thankfully this is not the norm, but I have had overly dead charred brisket far more often than other cuts.

Your setup and environment make a big difference as well as what tools you have available. If your at all novice for smoking and/or working in less-than-ideal conditions (unfamiliar stick-burner, high wind, rainstorm, 20°below, hurricane, really fuggin drunk) maybe a more forgiving cut like chuck is the way to go.
Key points! I think the electric makes up for my lack of talent. I have been accused of worse. Hey cheers brothers, what you smoking this weekend. I need some butt, pork butt, maybe....beef ribs. Btw, for all my luck with brisket, my ribs are toilet worthy.

Well, this wasn't my best. Pulled at 205F/198F depending on measurement location.

Hickory/Cherry with some Oak added great smoke. Dry rubbed with Tony's. Great flavor!. Very chewy tho. I was thinking meat would fall apart at those temps. IDK what happened. Only thing I used a new probe from Christmas w/wireless reading. Could the temp calibration be off? I brined overnight also.
weight, temp, method, time, trim?

It seems like a lot of people is my area (eastern Tennessee) don't really know what a good smoked brisket is like people in the western states and Texas. I'd love to show them, but for that I need to have a ton of people over. Its a whole lot more reasonable to grab a 3lb chuck and smoke that if its just my wife and I. As an added bonus, chuck is forgiving enough/ I have my method down well enough to do all other kinds of things around the house while it's cooking e.g., brew beer!

I am pretty new to smoking, I have made maybe 5 brisket flats some chicken wings and St Louis ribs. For those smoking the Chuck, are you crutching, rubbing like a brisket, what temp are you pulling it at?

Thats it....I'm smokin ribs this week...CANT...TAKE...IT...ANYMORE

Any other ideas?

I'm open for anything but seafood...Costco member

Back