Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck and brisket?! Smoked with cherry and hickory and a nice layer of kosher salt. Full honkin pork shoulder with brown sugar, salt, spice rub. Pork loin, pork tenderloin, and sausages. Rump for roast beef sandwiches, full chickens and turkey. Thats it, smoke a turkey!

Chuck and brisket?! Smoked with cherry and hickory and a nice layer of kosher salt. Full honkin pork shoulder with brown sugar, salt, spice rub. Pork loin, pork tenderloin, and sausages. Rump for roast beef sandwiches, full chickens and turkey. Thats it, smoke a turkey!
LOL...thanks...now I need a bigger smoker:D

where the heck are you guys finding brisket for $3 a pound? I can't find it for less than $6 / lb here!!!!
It sucks because I like smoking it - so it gets done for holidays only.
I generally use a mix of pecan and cherry, with a dash of mesquite tossed in. usually seasoned as a take on montreal smoked meat, so mostly montreal steak spice, with extra coriander and garlic powder.
I'll do some traditional now and then - salt and pepper only, but most people prefer the other.

Noob smoking question. Does the wood REALLY make a noticeable difference or is it a really small difference after slathering on the dry rub or wet rub.

Apple to cherry wood etc.

Noob smoking question. Does the wood REALLY make a noticeable difference or is it a really small difference after slathering on the dry rub or wet rub.

I find that that it depends on the meat involved. More delicate meats can show more of the smoke flavor - but it does make a slight difference, for most of them. Mesquite is the exception, it can be extremely highly flavorful, so IMO a little goes a long way - too much (again, IMO) starts to taste like you used the artificial smoke flavor liquid in there.

I find that that it depends on the meat involved. More delicate meats can show more of the smoke flavor - but it does make a slight difference, for most of them. Mesquite is the exception, it can be extremely highly flavorful, so IMO a little goes a long way - too much (again, IMO) starts to taste like you used the artificial smoke flavor liquid in there.
Good to know with the Mesquite. Will keep that in mind. My process is to add a few chunks( not chips) in with the charcoal before I light it and never add any more...is that correct?

Great question. Its huge. All apple imo is barely perceptible other than fish or chicken. All cherry, not for me. Hickory, sure, oak is nice. Yes, it matters. That said they are all killer and I would use any of them over nothing, but, yeah use a bunch of different types and find what you like. Hickory and cherry mixed imparts a unique flavor that I think is super good. I heard many comp people use pecan. Heavy 100 percent pecan vs mesquite will have dramatic flavor differences. Either way Ill grab a fork.

Last edited:
where the heck are you guys finding brisket for $3 a pound? I can't find it for less than $6 / lb here!!!!
It sucks because I like smoking it - so it gets done for holidays only.
I generally use a mix of pecan and cherry, with a dash of mesquite tossed in. usually seasoned as a take on montreal smoked meat, so mostly montreal steak spice, with extra coriander and garlic powder.
I'll do some traditional now and then - salt and pepper only, but most people prefer the other.
I saw full packers at sams for 47. Thats the clearance pruce I get at wally world. Nice deals there and quality is good imo.

14 days of cure with tender quick, a day of open air to form a pellicle in the fridge, coating of coarse black pepper, 9 hours of sugar maple cold smoke, then 5 days of resting in the fridge to let the smoke mellow. Ready to slice.

20190219_143458.jpeg

14 days of cure with tender quick, a day of open air to form a pellicle in the fridge, coating of coarse black pepper, 9 hours of sugar maple cold smoke, then 5 days of resting in the fridge to let the smoke mellow. Ready to slice.

View attachment 613619
That's sounds and looks great! I have done my own pork belly -> bacon but I went super simple on it. How is the salt level of the final product? I ask because the whole reason I started doing pork belly was to get some nice thick, well smoked bacon without being overly salty.

Great question. Its huge. All apple imo is barely perceptible other than fish or chicken. All cherry, not for me. Hickory, sure, oak is nice. Yes, it matters. That said they are all killer and I would use any of them over nothing, but, yeah use a bunch of different types and find what you like. Hickory and cherry mixed imparts a unique flavor that I think is super good. I heard many comp people use pecan. Heavy 100 percent pecan vs mesquite will have dramatic flavor differences. Either way Ill grab a fork.
Agreed. Also, try out pecan! Works on basically everything but I love it on pork/chicken/fish. Hickory/cherry at 60/40 is my go to for beef.

That's sounds and looks great! I have done my own pork belly -> bacon but I went super simple on it. How is the salt level of the final product? I ask because the whole reason I started doing pork belly was to get some nice thick, well smoked bacon without being overly salty.

I rinsed the bellies and did a fry test and it was extremely salty, so I soaked them in water for about an hour. It's just a little saltier than I'd prefer, but I'm not a fan of salty stuff. Everyone else that has tried it thinks it's perfect. You can always do a fry test, soak for an hour if too salty, and repeat until you get the level you like.

I did find 9 hours of cold smoke to be a bit more than I like too. I'll probably cut the smoke time down to about 5 hours next time.

I rinsed the bellies and did a fry test and it was extremely salty, so I soaked them in water for about an hour. It's just a little saltier than I'd prefer, but I'm not a fan of salty stuff. Everyone else that has tried it thinks it's perfect. You can always do a fry test, soak for an hour if too salty, and repeat until you get the level you like.

I did find 9 hours of cold smoke to be a bit more than I like too. I'll probably cut the smoke time down to about 5 hours next time.
What kind of smoke for those 9 hrs?

I used BBQr's Delight sugar maple pellets in an AMAZN tray, the 50/50 mix of oak/sugar maple. I've used it on a lot of stuff and like the flavor, 9 hours was just a bit much.
I haven't seen sugar maple before but I'll keep it in mind. I just started using lumberjack brand. I've been pretty happy with their hickory so far.

Ribs. Do you guys sauce ribs? I am starting to think they need it. I dont sauce the pork butt or anything usually. Cheers.View attachment 610673
Something real thinned out, basted last 30 minutes if I use anything. Often I do nothing. Maybe some butter, honey/syrup, beer in the foil, if you foil em, provides some stickiness.

Grilling, not smoking, tonight. Going to grind up brisket point and chuck for burgers meat. First time attempting my own grind.
I like to add some sirloin to the grind as well.
Chuck has a great beefy flavor and good fat. Brisket has its own different beefy flavor and adds a good texture. Sirloin has a bit more iron fresh meat taste an lean balance to the chuck. You will be happy for sure. I don't always grind/chop my own burger, but my wife complains that burgers taste funny when I don't

Anyone else here do any reverse seared steaks?
It can be done with really any heat source starting off but I am a HUGE fan of doing this on the smoker. I smoke at 275 until my internal temp is 125. Then throw it on a scorching hot grill or stove for about 90 seconds on each side.
Then done and ready to eat, no need to rest because I let it rest while my stove or grill is getting to high temp.

It can be done with really any heat source starting off but I am a HUGE fan of doing this on the smoker. I smoke at 275 until my internal temp is 125. Then throw it on a scorching hot grill or stove for about 90 seconds on each side.
Then done and ready to eat, no need to rest because I let it rest while my stove or grill is getting to high temp.
I smoke at 225-250F, then move to a 500F skillet on the propane grill's side burner.

Very nice, I like to get a good smoke ring before I sear. I think I have done 250 a few times as well but last night I was hungry enough to want to speed it up a bit.

Reverse sear is my typical method for steaks. I can do this with the kamado if I like without using two grills. Go low and slow to 125, pull them off and open the vents (sometimes use a fan to rocket up the temp) and then sear them hard.

This is often how I do tri tip too, which works nicely because I can grill some asparagus or corn on the cop while the temp is ramping up on the grill, then throw the meat back on to sear.

so you smoke the steaks then sear? Like filets and rib eyes. Sounds great.

it makes chicken breast bearable
Grilling without overcooking makes chicken-tits bearable.

Pat dry, season and grill over med-high heat for 7-10 min per side, then move to indirect heat for 15 min. Then should have just the right "give" when you squeeze them with your tongs.

I never started taking temperatures until last year, wife kept over or under cooking and I just can't seem to show/teach the art of "feel." I like to pull them between 150-155 and let them rest. Perfect every time.

Pat dry, season and grill over med-high heat for 7-10 min per side, then move to indirect heat for 15 min. Then should have just the right "give" when you squeeze them with your tongs.

I never started taking temperatures until last year, wife kept over or under cooking and I just can't seem to show/teach the art of "feel." I like to pull them between 150-155 and let them rest. Perfect every time.
Same. I never temp chicken but have developed a feel for them. My wife likes to cut into the center to check color because she doesn't feel it.

That's my winter cooking method, but just using the oven and cooktop. Cast iron skillet @ 450* in the oven for 7-10 minutes, depending on thickness. Rest for 5-10 minutes, get the skillet blazing hot, then sear for a minute per side. It makes a perfectly pink steak edge to edge.

Yeah...familiar with how to cook chicken, lol. It's always juicy and tender without the chance of screwing it up with the sous vide. I prefer low and slow on the smoker but you don't always have time for that or the outdoor conditions.

it makes chicken breast bearable

yah it's the killer app of sous vide in my opinion. out of all the proteins i've found it's the only one that can offset the flavor loss by the huge increase in moisture. if grilled it's going to be dry if it's safe to eat.

leg of lamb is possibly a good application too but i haven't roasted enough to compare. i did one a couple weeks ago for 8 hours @ 131F that turned out great. the other night my 2-year old was balling his eyes out because he wanted that lamb for dinner.

Your leg of lamb comment has me thinking... Anyone here have much experience with smoking non-standard meats?
By this I mean not beef, chicken, turkey, or pork.

Sous vide can do pretty good with meats that need long times to tenderize. My wife loves when I do baby back ribs in the sous vide, then just brown them and caramelize the sauce on the grill.

No other way to get the texture of basically cooking ribs to medium doneness but almost fall-off-the-bone tenderness. I do 149 for 24 hours -- any longer and it's TOO tender.

Back