The Second Annual Masstoberfest 10/3/09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who said I was staying home? All I said was that I wasn't going to your place. We got a better offer.

Oh ya, I forgot.

"But Honeybuns, I really want to go to Paul's house on Saturday."

"Shut up, I already told you, we're going to my sisters to watch 'The Mamas and the Papas Family Reunion Show.' I understand that McKenzie is going to make a cameo."

"But Schnookums, I'd rather go to the BBQ at Pauls and learn how to cook a pig so that it comes out edible."

"If you open up your mouth about that one more time I'm going to lay you out in lavender."

"Yes Sweetpoopsie, whatever you say. You know how much I love it when you sing California Dreamin when I'm loofering your bunions."

So sad. So very, very sad.

PTN

Hey Babs,

Remember back in the day, when you were called Babalu?

Oh, the way we were!

"Scattered Pictures. With goffy glasses on myface.
Misty water colored memories
of me and my fish...."

When you gonna get on The Dick Cavitt Show?

PTN

Last edited by a moderator:
The story of the babalu

Back in the late 80's I was running a Sportfishing boat with the sole intent on killing as many Giant Bluefin tuna as possible.
The owner loved reeling them in and I loved selling them, match made in heaven.
I met many other captains (Bobby being one of them) and we would drink/eat etc when it was too windy for fishing.
One evening at the Old Kemah Inn (had GREAT FOOD! and spirits) Bobby suggested we split the Texas Barbecue Shrimp.
We'll, it was so good I ordered two more and made a meal out of it. Another captain came in and tried to order them but alas, this isnt Red Lobster and they were out.
This captain had his head pretty far up the ass of a fairly famous captain (Murray Brothers fame) and they would be oh so secretive in regards to their tactics etc even though their catch rate wasnt stomping a mud hole in anyones ass.
Bobby started calling the dish The Secret BBQ shrimp and eventually this morphed in his mind to the secret babalu shrimp.
The owner of the boat Bobby ran liked the sauce a little and had a dumbwaiter on the boat ( VERY fancy sportfishing boat) and he put Captain Morgans on the dumbwaiter in my honor.
Captain Morgan and cokes eventually became known as The Babalu and the name has stuck since.

"Mostly Sunny" for Saturday.

On my way to pick up Wilbur, then out to Woorcester to fetch Bertha.

What the hell weather report are you looking at? What the hell are you doing? Reading the Farmer's Almanac or something?

11 AM - Rain
Noon - Rain
1 PM - Rain
2 PM - Cloudy
3 PM - Rain
4 PM - Rain
5 PM - Rain
6 PM - Rain

So it's going to be mostly sunny from 2:15-2:18?

Rain.JPG

What the hell weather report are you looking at? What the hell are you doing? Reading the Farmer's Almanac or something?

11 AM - Rain
Noon - Rain
1 PM - Rain
2 PM - Cloudy
3 PM - Rain
4 PM - Rain
5 PM - Rain
6 PM - Rain

So it's going to be mostly sunny from 2:15-2:18?

He cut Wilburs spleen out

Boston.com... Saturday - rain all day
weather.com... Saturday - rain all day
accuweather.com... Saturday - rain all day except at 2:00

I think he DID cut out the spleen... he danced around it in his skin tight pink halter top and daisy dukes, chanted a little bit like a witch doctor, looked at the blood pattern the spleen left and just declared... "MOSTLY SUNNY!!!"

Jokin' aside Paul... I would have that tent company on speed dial.

A tent and a few extra beers and the rain becomes irrelevant really quickly.

I had to bag on him... my boss dropped a noon meeting on my calendar this morning. I'm going through a bunch of stuff now while I goof on Paul.

I think he might be hitting Kinsale.... it's the best beer-bar near where he's at.

I had to bag on him... my boss dropped a noon meeting on my calendar this morning. I'm going through a bunch of stuff now while I goof on Paul.

I think he might be hitting Kinsale.... it's the best beer-bar near where he's at.

I bet if it was KB the slim dark haired lawyer you wouldnt have bagged :D

whatever... I've bagged on her like four times in the last three weeks. Work's been brutal.

(and I'm not sure I like what you're implying there Maverick)

Boston.com... Saturday - rain all day
weather.com... Saturday - rain all day
accuweather.com... Saturday - rain all day except at 2:00

Jokin' aside Paul... I would have that tent company on speed dial.

A tent and a few extra beers and the rain becomes irrelevant really quickly.

All I can say is that in May on winemaking/bottling day, the forecast was for rain, and it did rain all around Boston, but at Paul's it only rained for 5 or 10 minutes at most.

Paul has powers...

Paul, How did the Utopia clone come out? Did you try it yet? Is the guy who hosted going to be at your place? You know the one with the dog who acts like Allan Harper from two and a half men. I can't rememberr his name.

You know the one with the dog who acts like Allan Harper from two and a half men. I can't rememberr his name.

I don't get the reference, I don' watch much TV other than sports, but his name is Chris, known here as Yeager. But yes, he will be here and yes we will have some of the Utopia on hand for sampling.

BTW, if the 2 1/2 men reference was somehow insulting, demeaning and unkind would you please explain it so that I can use it? :)

PTN

PTO!

How you doin' Bro! You going to be at the shop tonight?

So Bertha is home and is fired up now. We did a LOT of work on her and she is looking GOOD! (Lets face it, it's a f'ing oil tank, it looks lile a pile of crap in the yard but if you can see beyond the surface imperfections she's a beaut! Maybe that's why I like her so much, she reminds me of me.) I started a fire in her to burn off any residual oil on the metal from any drilling and cutting we did, We built a new firebox, lowered it and raised up the smokestack. The draft is unbelievable! I bet she's at over 500*F inside the cooking chamber. That's obviously too hot to cook with but again, my goal is to cook of any remaining volatiles. There was a bit of oil on the surface of the firebox and it's gone already. New dampers, new stainless smokestack, new door, new handles and latches. She's like a whole new girl!

Wilbur is ready, he's going into a brine sometime this afternoon.

Crap, it's 11:30! I gotta go, tons of chores to do.

PTN

Can't make the shop tonight - going out for a few chores post work and then dinner with the Mrs. I'll try to make Masstoberfest and Joos' tasting, both, tomorrow afternoon; depends on how busy the shop is as I'm filling in for Kemo Sabe.

Try the beer in the left tap and let me know what you think, please.

Paul

Paulie Walnuts, whatcho want the_Family and I to bring down to this little shindig? I'll probably lug down a keg, either the Taddy Porter or the Special Bitter ("Michael Bishop's Finger").

Food-wise, I do a pretty kick-ass mussels-and andouille dish, but I know the standards for seafood are a big higher on the eastern side of the state. We/I also make a nice little Thai-noodle salad.

Jay, I wouldn't dream of saying 'bring this' or 'don't bring that.' Anything anyone brings will be welcome and enjoyed by all. I'm going to make a macaroni salad and the hog. (Who, BTW, is going into the brine as soon as I finish this.) I'll have kegs of porter, amber and Berliner Weisse and Belgian.

I just got back from Home Depot where I picked up a 20 X 30 foot tarp and some 2X 4's. Drunken and I will make a canopy tonight.

The only thing I would suggest is if you guys have any of those folding/collapsable chairs you might want to bring it, I doubt I have enough chairs for everyone.

PTN

Back