Suggestions for Belgian beer tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badun

Reaction score
Last my wife and I had a beer tasting party as a fund raiser for her church group (Catholics, of course). It was a fantastic success and we're doing it again this year. We selected 5 countries and had 3 samples from each (a mix of homebrew and commercial). This year I've added Belgium to the mix, but I'm afraid I've only just begun learning about Belgian beers. I'd like your suggestions for 3 Belgian beers meeting this criteria:

1. Somewhat affordable. It's a fundraiser so I try to keep it under $12 a six-pack.
  2. Readily available. Doesn't have to come from a grocery store, but folks that are interested should be able to find it at a local merchant.
  3. Shouldn't be extremely bold in taste or alcohol %. I was pleasantly surprised at how open minded people were last year, but I don't want a Bud Light drinker going into shock, either. For example, last year I served Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and had very few repeat takers. That left more for me, but it did tell me my audience wasn't quite ready to be hopheads.
Thanks!

Rare Vos - Ommegang

Its an American company, but they're really good. Around here, a four pack is ~$9 or its sold in the 750 mL bottles. Its not too strong in alcohol.

The other one I think of is Orval. But that I've only ever seen in singles for like ~$4 a bottle and its a 330 mL.

Take a look at the beers Mentioned here in this thread of mine

I highly recommend the Piraat...but like the orval they run 15-16 a sixer. Belgians will be more expensive becasue they have a larger grainbill...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73692

You don't have where you live but another option, is Domestic Belgian Style Ales...In Michigan we have Dragonmead Microbrewery, and their belgians are fantastic...

Ommegang is a good choice, it was originally brewed by a Belgian brewer, not sure if that is the case anymore.

In terms of a Saison, I think Red Sky at Night is good (also brewed in the US) and you can get a 6 pack of it, then you get a Saison in there which I think most people would love.

Then pick up a darker Belgian, probably run you $10 for 750ml bottle. Chimay Red is good, as is Coresendonk Brown, well actually they're all pretty good. If you wanted to go cheaper you could again get Ommegang (no name to the beer) which is a Dubbel and is $8 for 750ml bottle.

The names don't exactly roll off the tongue, eh? I'll definitely increase my budget for Belgians. Thanks for the tips so far!

You might be able to find a sixer Rodenbach for about $12. I know I've seen them cheaper around here but that was a while back. BTW Rodenbach is a flanders red and was called "the most refreshing beer in the world" by Micheal Jackson. It is one of my favorates.

You might be able to find a sixer Rodenbach for about $12. I know I've seen them cheaper around here but that was a while back. BTW Rodenbach is a flanders red and was called "the most refreshing beer in the world" by Micheal Jackson. It is one of my favorates.

That said, if you ccan ge the Rodenbach Grand Cru, I'd do that. It kills.

Don't see your location so I don't know whether it's available, but I like New Belgium's Abbey and 1554. The Trippel is great too but maybe a little high in alcohol for your crowd. Six packs are $8.99 here.

1. Somewhat affordable. It's a fundraiser so I try to keep it under $12 a six-pack.
  2. Readily available. Doesn't have to come from a grocery store, but folks that are interested should be able to find it at a local merchant.
  3. Shouldn't be extremely bold in taste or alcohol %. I was pleasantly surprised at how open minded people were last year, but I don't want a Bud Light drinker going into shock, either. For example, last year I served Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and had very few repeat takers. That left more for me, but it did tell me my audience wasn't quite ready to be hopheads.
Thanks!

1. many Belgian imports don't come in 12oz/6pack format round here...their American counter parts tend to.
2. With out knowing where you are, hard to say
3. Expressive flavors and a robust ABV are going to be the norm with most of the popular belgians/belgian style brew...much of what has been already mentioned clock in over 6%.

I would help people approach a Belgian tasting from the perspective that while these are beer, they have more in common with more complex beverages than your typical bud light. Play the wine angle (helpful to ease sticker shock too..how many world class wines do you get for 10 bucks?). You might want to consider smaller tasting samples of the stronger ales.

If you are doing three commercial examples, I would consider two Belgians (at least one trappist, you gotta) and one American take...maybe a Canadian too.

Updated my profile to show that I live in NE Florida. Exactly where Fay is heading today! :eek: But it's OK, I have many gallons of water in the garage and finished bottling 5 gallons of Pale Ale last weekend (it may not have enough carbonation yet, but at least it has alcohol!). :mug:

Most of the beers listed here are available at our mega booze retailer (Total Wine). I despise shopping there, but sometimes there's no choice when I want something exotic.

I definitely plan on treating any "robust ABV" beers as fine wines and limiting their consumption. After all, as host I'm legally and morally obligated to ensure my guests can make it home safely.

Good news is that TS Fay doesn't look like it will pummel us and I got to leave work early yesterday. So I celebrated by stopping at Total Wine and built a Belgian sampler of the following:

Piraat Ale
Affligem Blonde
Ommegang Rare Vos
Ommegang Abbey Ale
Gulden Draak
Duvel Ale

I had the Affligem last night and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to the others!

Unibrou stuff is kinda expensive but good. Delerium Tremens and some Ommegang are all good choices.

Having one of these a day. So far...

Piraat Ale - I really wanted to enjoy this but it was just too sweet. Compared to the Affligem and an Avery Golden Belgian Ale that I had recently it was just too much.

Affligem Blonde - Very enjoyable, similar to the Avery but with less of a champagne flavor. I could make 5 gallons of this one.

Ommegang Rare Vos - So by "spiced" they mean that it tastes like Christmas Ale? I once made 5 gallons of Christmas Ale w/out ever trying any because I love all the spices that go into it. Unfortunately, not in beer. And neither did my friends. I had to beg people to take it off my hands (no, it wasn't a bad batch; it's just a taste you either like or you don't). The Rare Vos tasted too much like that for me.

Duvel Golden Ale - Very nice! Not too sweet, almost like a lager. This is good stuff.

Gulden Draak - Yep, that's waaaay too much malty sweetness for my taste!

Ommegang Abbey Ale - I luckily saved the best for last. Wow, this stuff's good!

+1 to Revy for Piraat. Fantastic beer and the flavor changes so much as it warms.
I also really like Three Philosophers although it is a blended ale still very enjoyable. Both need to be poured slowly as the yeast sediment does not compliment the flavor as other beers do.

What a difference a year makes! When I first sampled Belgian beers my initial reaction to the yeast-induced funkiness was "Yuck!". Now I can't get enough of it! The complexities of Belgian beer, especially those with some Brett in the bottle, are beguiling. I still enjoy the occasional hop bomb, but a year later I'm definitely devoted to Belgians!

What a difference a year makes! When I first sampled Belgian beers my initial reaction to the yeast-induced funkiness was "Yuck!". Now I can't get enough of it! The complexities of Belgian beer, especially those with some Brett in the bottle, are beguiling. I still enjoy the occasional hop bomb, but a year later I'm definitely devoted to Belgians!

Holy moses, I remember you!!!! :mug:

Yeah, I have gotten really heavier into belgians in the last year as well...including brewing a belgian dark strong ale, a saison, and a wit this year....

They're great aren't they????? :tank:

Latest posts

Back