Forgot Whirfloc - Young Beer Tastes Tannic - will it fade with cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had a few "mild boners" on brewday last week. This was a stout, where I was aiming to mash between 5.5-5.6 Here is a list of the said "boners":

1) forgot to add whirfloc at end of boil
2) Mash PH issue: I forgot to mix in my premeasured salts to the strike water and added these a few min after mashing in. Salts included baking soda (that I typically use in stouts to raise PH from acidic roasted grains). I mash with 6 gallons, but the salts were measured for 7 gallons as I usually keep some excess in my HLT. So basically, I ended up adding 7/6 more salts than calculated in Bru'n water. Mash PH ended up at 5.7 PH so was a little high. I added 2ml of lactic acid before the boil (including water I added post mash, I do no-sparge brewing & dilute rather than sparge) to yeild a pre-boil PH of 5.3

My usual process (for non-dry hoppped beers) is that I close transfer my beer from fermzilla prmary to a keg (floating dip tube) after a week, add priming sugar, and allow final conditioning to happen in the keg. Normally at this stage I never tastes any tannins, unless I dry hop. The beer was still very cloudy though and there clearly was still hot (or cold?) break in suspension because of the whirfloc "boner". The post fermentation PH read at 4.34

after carbonating in the keg for another week, I will stick in the keezer to cold condition for a minimum of a week.

Do you think this astringent flavor will settle out after cold conditioning in the keg? I can describe the off-flavor as similar to hop burn, that I know generally fades with time.

It sounds like you are describing a mouthfeel more than a flavor ("similar to hop burn"). If so, it may well be astringency from tannins. They do tend to form complexes with proteins and drop out over time.

All beers contain tannins from the mash and from the hops. In the mash, the amount of tannins extracted is dependent on both the mash temp and the mash pH. Your mash pH was a little high, so you would have extracted a little more tannins (all else being equal) than with a lower pH. If your mash/lauter temperatures also got a little bit higher than normal, that would be another driver.

It sounds like you are describing a mouthfeel more than a flavor ("similar to hop burn"). If so, it may well be astringency from tannins. They do tend to form complexes with proteins and drop out over time.

All beers contain tannins from the mash and from the hops. In the mash, the amount of tannins extracted is dependent on both the mash temp and the mash pH. Your mash pH was a little high, so you would have extracted a little more tannins (all else being equal) than with a lower pH. If your mash/lauter temperatures also got a little bit higher than normal, that would be another driver.
Thanks Vikeman, I'm thinking that I'm also used to the whirfloc dropping a lot of this out on the kettle. Hopefully it drops after cold crash

Thanks Vikeman, I'm thinking that I'm also used to the whirfloc dropping a lot of this out on the kettle. Hopefully it drops after cold crash

As far as I know, whilfloc (carrageenan) doesn't precipitate tannins. But skipping it could certainly have something to do with the haze (proteins) you're seeing.

Back