Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
So I went over to my new LHBS and picked up ingredients to brew tomorrow, but wouldn't you know it, I forget to get a muslin bag for my grains. I was wondering if I could just use a seperate pot by bringing the water up to temp, shutting off the heat and dumping in the grains and then use a strainer to pour the "grain tea" into my brew kettle hopefully catching most of the grain that tries to snek through? What do you think?

Very common technique used by some partial mash brewers.
You can even "sparge" the grains by pouring some 170F degree water over the grains in the strainer to wash off some additional sugars.

Craig

CBBaron said:
Very common technique used by some partial mash brewers.
You can even "sparge" the grains by pouring some 170F degree water over the grains in the strainer to wash off some additional sugars.

Craig

Lovely idea. Thanks for the speedy reply. Off to get a strainer...

I'm with orfy. For pretty cheap you can build a mash tun with a stainless braid as a grain filter, PM is a pretty nice way to make beer. :)

I'm getting there. I used to have a 10 gal cooler, but lent it to a friend and then never saw it again. I should be able to get another one pretty easily in my line of work so I just need to start my new job and I'll get ahold of another one. Then I'll be all set for AG. Just needed some reasuring for todays brew, which I might add turned out pretty well IMHO.

Back