Noticed Something Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
I was strolling through my lhbs today to pickup a few things along with a sack of 2 row. Usually when I shop for anything not just beer stuff I look the selection over gravitate towards the particular item I had in mind and if several are available I pick the one that looks like it’s in best shape, newest date, & etc.

What I observed was all the bags of grain made of the ploy tyvek material had about 1/16 “- 1/8” gap ( you could see the grain) across the bottom at the point they meet and are sewn together. It was easy to spot because they were all on a rack bottom facing out. I noticed this on both Rahr & Great Western. Just struck me odd given how most of us take steps to avoid open container storage. I still bought one and took it home and divided it up in storage bags, figured I won’t sweat it but it got me thinking.

Are you saying that the stitching is not tight, leaving a gap all along the bottom?

AFAIK, many (most?) LHBS get their malt from BSG. BSG gets the domestic malt in bulk from various maltsters, and bags them according to demand. Perhaps their bag sewing machine needs some adjustment?

Also, when bags are lifted, bottom side down, there's a lot of stress on the stitching, so it may separate somewhat, I see that happening here in my home brewery too when moving them. Maybe that's what happened when they moved the bags onto the racks?

[ADDED] Are you worried that bugs may get into the sacks? I don't think the somewhat loose/open stitching increases that risk all that much. Those buggers are very capable squeezing their way inside, if they or their eggs weren't in there already.

Last edited:
Never saw bags like that. What I buy (Simpson GP, Weyermann Pilsner, Briess Brewers Malt) always come in bags with solid liners...

Cheers!
Yep the Briess was in a sort paper type bag with a pretty decent seal across. Been a while since I bought a sack of Briess but usually those types are lined inside I think. Next time you’re out shopping look at The GW malt bags and see if you notice anything. Maybe what I saw on these bags was an isolated case.

Are you saying that the stitching is not tight, leaving a gap all along the bottom?

AFAIK, many (most?) LHBS get their malt from BSG. BSG gets the domestic malt in bulk from various maltsters, and bags them according to demand. Perhaps their bag sewing machine needs some adjustment?

Also, when bags are lifted, bottom side down, there's a lot of stress on the stitching, so it may separate somewhat, I see that happening here in my home brewery too when moving them. Maybe that's what happened when they moved the bags onto the racks?

[ADDED] Are you worried that bugs may get into the sacks? I don't think the somewhat loose/open stitching increases that risk all that much. Those buggers are very capable squeezing their way inside, if they or their eggs weren't in there already.
Yep stitching was loose & yeah maybe from being slung about or worn out stitcher. Not super worried about bugs more about possible subpar base grain. I’ll try not to fret too much but I probably will anyway until I get a taste of the finished product made with this grain.

Yep stitching was loose & yeah maybe from being slung about or worn out stitcher. Not super worried about bugs more about possible subpar base grain. I’ll try not to fret too much but I probably will anyway until I get a taste of the finished product made with this grain.
When you realize how malt is produced and stored, a little gap in the bottom of the bag will be the least of your worries. ;)

Yeah I’ve seen grain stored in silo type grain containers for either auger or gravity feed. Seems I’ve seen this at some breweries maybe but can’t remember.

Back