Brett Mosaic Belgian - What do I do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I recently cultured yeast from Orval bottle. I can't remember exactly how many times I stepped it up. But it went from being quite funky for the first few steps to smelling sort of clean towards the end.

I brewed a small batch with this:
84% Castle Pilsner
8% red wheat
4% honey malt
3% carapils
.04 oz Mosaic at 60,30,15,5 and whirlpool

It's a 1.5 gallon batch and 1.045 FG

It fermented at around 70-75 for a few weeks. after 4 weeks it smelled just awful. Like rotting dead things or something. I moved it to a cooler place and tried some tonight. The smell is gone and I have very pleasant brett tasting beer.

I want to bottle it but the gravity right now is 1.011 and I'm afraid I will end up with bombs. I don't really want to wait because I like it how it is now, where all the flavors aren't entirely brett.

Since it was a primary brett fermentation (or maybe a mixed ferment? I'm not sure what exactly is in the orval bottle), perhaps the gravity is what it is?

Not really sure what I'm asking, I guess it's what would other people do right now if they were me. Like I said it's really pretty tasty now, if anything a little bland. But the mosaic is still sort of there and the yeast characteristics are quite nice. I don't want to dry hop with mosaic because I've already been drinking tons of mosaic beers (i bought a pound).

How long has it been now? It's a mixed ferment with potentially several types of sacc and at least one Brett, depending on the age of the bottle. I'd probably wait until it's been 3 mos, assuming steady gravity within the last 3 weeks or so of that time frame.

Oh good point. I made it may 2nd. I can give it 3 months. Will need to transfer to a gallon jug, it's in a 3 gallon now.

I bottled it. About .8 oz corn sugar into 1.25 gallons. i'll wait til they are carbed to my liking and just throw them in the fridge and drink them.

Latest posts

Back