Next beer ready for dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Did a single hop kit from Morebeer. I cannot find if I started a thread on this one already, so please delete if I did. Single hop Cascade Pale ale. 60 minute mash at about 150 to 152, was very happy I stayed pretty much spot on that temp range. My OG into the Fermenter was 1.051. Middle ground of what the kit said it should be. ABV should be in the 5% range. Bry-97 yeast that was a bit slow out of the gate, but finished up after about 4 days at around 65 to 68 degrees in the fermenter. Just checked my Gravity, and I am at about 1.007, which puts my just shy of 6% ABV. Maybe the yeast did a bit too good a job? Either way, I am going to check it again on Saturday or Sunday. If the gravity is the same, I am going to dry hop on either Tuesday or Wednesday and bottle or keg Friday or Saturday. Leave it for at least 2 weeks and then sample and see what I got. Smelled pretty good, so I am hopeful. My next experiment is either going to be a Citra/Mosaic combo, or a single hop Mosaic. I want to see what Mosaic might bring to the party as I had a simple all Mosaic IPA the other day and loved it. Any comments on my post, improvements or suggestions, are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
60 minute boil at about 150 to 152, was very happy I stayed pretty much spot on that temp range.

I think (hope) you mean you mashed at 150-152? The boil (which happens after the wort is run off from the mash) would be at 212F-ish.

This was an all grain kit, right?

For my tastes, i think your final gravity is great for a hop forward beer. It will also help limit hop creep when you dry hop. Your dry hop suggestions are also solid. Beyond that, my suggestion is to evaluate and hone your process for limiting oxygen exposure and preventing diacetyl as part of dry hopping and packaging. I dont know your equipment / process but there are lots of threads on this that can get the wheels turning. Good luck!!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate and try and learn from each of you on what to do and how to make this a better hobby for me. I am thinking maybe adding a bit more of the adjuncts would have made a difference? That would have put some unfermentable sugar into the wort and upped the gravity a bit in the end, right? Or am I off as usual. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

Have you checked the calibration of your hydrometer in water? 1.007 seems low to me from 1.051 if it was all barley. Sometimes the paper in the hydrometer is of a little, which wouldn't affect ABV but would add an offset to OG/FG.

I could be off base, though.

I just checked it. Tap water at 75 degrees and it was spot on at 1.000. I think the FG was supposed to be somewhere in the 1.010 to 1.011. I think, using the OG the instructions gave me, would have put it at about 5% ABV. As it sits now, I think it is at 5.8 or so. Well, I have never had an issue with being too low, so this is a new one. Maybe I had too much mash sugars? Or the yeast outdid itself? Not sure, but I am going to bottle it next week and see what happens.

Another option is infection from a diastaticus positive yeast. If more beers go unusually low, you might consider a deep-clean & sanitization of all your coldside gear. (If using a spigot from primary or to bottle, are you disassmbing it to clean & sanitize? I had an issue with that early on.)

edit: I guess packaging gear like bottling bucket would not touch it before FG reading.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It's still in the bucket, but I take everything apart and soak it in cleaner and then when I go to use it all gets a soak in sanitizer. Won't say it's not possible but I'm usually pretty good about cleaning.

Update, I checked my hydrometer again and it was about .002 low of 1.000 in just water. So, with that being said, I am at about 1.053 OG and FG at about 1.010 for about a 5.5% ABV. It smelled really good, so I am hopeful. Going to bottle on Friday I think. That will give my dry hops about 4 days in the fermenter. My keg should be dry by then, so I can clean both and save some water and cleaner. Keep you all posted. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Update, I checked my hydrometer again and it was about .002 low of 1.000 in just water. So, with that being said, I am at about 1.053 OG and FG at about 1.010 for about a 5.5% ABV. It smelled really good, so I am hopeful. Going to bottle on Friday I think. That will give my dry hops about 4 days in the fermenter. My keg should be dry by then, so I can clean both and save some water and cleaner. Keep you all posted. Rock On!!!!!!!!!
Nice! Let us know!

How do you choose what to keg and what to bottle?

Nice! Let us know!

How do you choose what to keg and what to bottle?
Really it just depends on what I feel like doing. This time I am using kits from Morebeer that are single hop kits. I am going to do a 5 gallon batch of each of the hops I have growing in the backyard to get an idea of what each brings to the beer flavor wise. So I figure to bottle each is easier to compare apples to apples vs kegging one and bottling the other. Plus, the keg is almost dry so I want to try a clone recipe for a Sierra Nevada Hazy little IPA that I found. That one will more than likely go in the keg. It honestly just boils down to what I feel like at the time, and what is available.

Back