The 'Keezer' Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us very, very amateur carpenters out here, can you detail a little more about how you constructed the panels? I was looking at another build that used yours as an inspiration (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-build-176752/) but it was some very intense wood working with routing, joint-fits, etc. Your build seems a little easier but I can't quite see enough detail in the pictures to figure out how thick the panels were, what sizes the stock were, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'll have to go back and take a look - I don't even remember anymore just exactly how I did them. It's going to take me a couple days (not going to be home much today or tomorrow) but I'll pop the cabinet open and snap some clarifying photos. I do know it was pretty easy construction.

So what's the cool new feature?!?!? We're waiting.....

A little update on my keezer build....I screwed up! :( I thought that the grout color that we chose would work for both the dark slate on the bar floor and the travertine on the backsplash of the bar and the keezer. We were wrong....the grout that we chose didn't work well (pictures on my thread). I proceeded to chisel out all of the tile and grout on the keezer and will be re-tiling and grouting with a more neutral "bone" color grout tomorrow. What a pain in the a$$! I have 3 kegs ready to go in my cold storage and I'm still dicking around with the tile on this thing. Hopps gettin' thristy! ;)

Sorry - gonna have to wait a liiiitle bit longer. I have to take some measurements and whatnot before I order the bits and pieces to do the job. Don't worry, if you like the idea you should be able to easily retrofit it - after all, that's what I'm doing to mine! :D

Sorry about the tile fiasco - but better to get it right than have to look at something every day and wish it were different!

Thanks! My keezer should be 100% completed tomorrow! Just need to seal the stone and grout. I had to knife another cedar trim piece to bump out the facing of the coffin where the taps mount due to a clearance issue with the tap handles. The piece of ponderosa pine that I used for the top overhang a little too far, so although my taps were able to close fully with the cheap black handles, I may have gotten into trouble with other tap handles. I'll be posting pics of the final product on my thread this weekend....hopefully with pics of my first 3 drafts to come out of it.

How's your progress with your secret upgrade?

Sorry - gonna have to wait a liiiitle bit longer. I have to take some measurements and whatnot before I order the bits and pieces to do the job. Don't worry, if you like the idea you should be able to easily retrofit it - after all, that's what I'm doing to mine! :D

Sorry about the tile fiasco - but better to get it right than have to look at something every day and wish it were different!

I am still in the process of brewing my first batch of home brew using a kit. I am so inspired by this thread, that I am ready to start kegging and building a keezer.

Jester, thank you for the inspiration! Would you my sending me the SketchUp files that you used as a starting point?

Jester,

First, well done of course. Now for the leeching of info.

Regarding the ducting and removal of heat from the outside of the freezer. Do you think that leaving the bottom open around the outside edge with 1" spacers would still cause heat build up or is a fan needed?

Hey Jester.....a little sneak peak of my final keezer build. I can finally join the ranks to those that have followed in your footsteps for so long. Many, many more pics. on my thread when you get a chance. Thanks buddy! :mug:

IMG_2179.jpg

This is what I saw when you posted this picture:
iba1eys7.jpg

Btw, I am so jealous I could pee. This dances all over my two kegger kegerator I am making.

Wow Hoppopotomus man that looks great....I love that large wood...it would look great in a log cabin or a rustic house...or better yet it woulr really look great anywhere. How close is the back of the Love controller to the freezer inside? I dont know if you saw my build a few pages back but I just didnt have the clearance to have my Love controller in the front or the side so I just mounted mine in the back at where the port for the compressor is at...that worked out well beacuse it gave extra space for all the wiring.

Has anybody else ever really had a problem with heat being able to dissiapate from the freezer when encased in the wood paneling? On my Keezer that I just built, I have about 2 inch clearance around the freezer with a completely open back and and the lid has space for any heat to vent out the top. I also took a large paddle bit and drilled several holes around the edge of the bottom frame to promote airflow. I dont have any fans or any other ventilation only relying on natural convection to circulate the air up through the encased area. I have my Love controller set to 40 degrees. I stuck a temp probe in the space between the freezer and the panel and it was only like 1 to 2 degrees above ambient temp on the outside of the Keezer.
I have a Holiday 7 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer from Lowes in my build and maybe I just got lucky but seems like heat dissipation really isnt that great of a concern. I was dreading trying to attempt Jesters fan assembly that he planned for his. Maybe its the 1/4 panels that are dissipating it well enough...maybe the freezer is small enough to get away with it...who knows.
My point is maybe for everyone who is building a Keezer, leave yourself the option to add on a powered venting system but maybe see if you can get away with not having to mechanically vent.

Has anybody else ever really had a problem with heat being able to dissiapate from the freezer when encased in the wood paneling?

I just made sure the freezer I used had external coils on the back of the unit. That way I did not have to worry about the front and sides staying cool.

Has anybody else ever really had a problem with heat being able to dissiapate from the freezer when encased in the wood paneling?

Mine is completely enclosed, the back as well, and I've had no issues. I had plans for active cooling but haven't needed it. Mine sits on concrete in the basement so that helps cuz it never gets above like 75... ever.

DSCN5799.jpg

cruelkix,
is that scoured copper on your bartop? I can see a reflection on the wall and that would take some seriously shiny wood finish to get that kind of reflection.

Yeah its brushed copper with a epoxy seal on it.
Did you brush the copper yourself? I like the effect of jeweling metals, and was thinking of putting a scouring pad on a disc sander and trying to jewel some copper for the top of my kegerator.

Hey all, for those of you that have been doing the fan setup underneath the keezer like Jester's, what fans are you all using? I couldn't find the model # of Jester's fan in this thread, but these look like they might be it.. http://www.mcmaster.com/#equipment-cooling-fans/=btuz55 The Low Profile Enclosure fans... but those are about $100. Was that about what you spent Jester if you can recall? Thanks!!

They weren't quite that expensive when I bought mine, but close, and yes that is what I used. Overkill, but I do get a nice solid flow of air all the way around when that kicks on.

Jester,

First off, love the keezer!! I've started building mine and yours is the foundation for all of what i'm going to do.

Can you go into a bit of detail, or maybe just post some pics, of how you are mounting your Ranco controller on the back of your coffin??

Thx

They weren't quite that expensive when I bought mine, but close, and yes that is what I used. Overkill, but I do get a nice solid flow of air all the way around when that kicks on.

Thanks for the reply Jester! Yea the ones at Home Depot are priced pretty similar but only 50CFM for the same price as McMaster's which is 203. I went with P/N 19285K54, which is the 5.24" OD Low-Profile Enclosure Cooling Fan. Just in case anyone else wants to buy it. I do like how it ports out the sides which is perfect for this setup.

:mug:

how you are mounting your Ranco controller on the back of your coffin??

The faceplate of the Ranco is held on by 4 screws, so I just cut an opening in the wood 1/8" smaller than the ranco, removed the faceplate, and sandwiched the wood with the front and back. The screws are long enough to go through the faceplate, the wood, and still thread into the back.

Does that make any sense? I'm not sure I'm describing it very well. If not, I'll try to clarify.

Well, the new feature may not get added, and I might be selling the beast. I have had my house on the market for over a year now, and one of the 'issues' with the house apparently is the the pool table and beer dispenser in room that would normally be a living room. If I decide to revert back to a traditional use for the room, I'll have to find a new home for the Keezer. Anyone interested?

i'm sure a lot of people would be interested, but why not just put it in storage until you sell. I'm sure some people would be willing to let you store it in their homes for free!

Please say it isn't so!!!! Couldn't you put it in storage until the house sells? I am sure you will have plenty of offers on that thing if you do have to sell. Too bad there isn't some HBT museum, it would defiantly qualify. :D

Heck someone may buy it just on the fact alone that Red has laid her body across it!! ;)

Well, the new feature may not get added, and I might be selling the beast. I have had my house on the market for over a year now, and one of the 'issues' with the house apparently is the the pool table and beer dispenser in room that would normally be a living room. If I decide to revert back to a traditional use for the room, I'll have to find a new home for the Keezer. Anyone interested?

Some people just have no vision....

But you at least have to tell us what the new feature was going ot be man. I've been dying of anticipation!

I agree with the storage idea, unless you feel like its time for a bigger bold bar.

Jester369 said:

Say it ain't so jester :(

Noooooooooo....Don't sell it Jester, could you put it in the Garage until you get your house sold & move to a new place? You put so much hard work into that beast, It would be a shame to sell it.

I agree with the other guy's (storage) but if thats not an option I promise I will provide it with a loving home and you can visit anytime. Oh by the way you would need to deliver it.

I'm very disappointed... not in you, but the situation that you're going through. I would love to have bought a house with that keezer and a pool table, no matter what room it's in. Good luck, and thank you for posting what you've posted.

don't do it! selling would be a moral victory for.....someone who....shouldn't have a moral victory. or something.

but seriously, avoid selling at all costs.

I swear buyers are so dumb sometimes. Just b/c someone uses a room for 1 thing doesn't mean the new buyer has to use it for the same.

Does the listing say the kegerator conveys with the home?
Does the pool table convey?

If they don't why would someone list it as a "problem"?

Any chance you'll say what the new feature was going to be so all us copy cats could possibly steal one last idea from your masterpiece?

I swear buyers are so dumb sometimes. Just b/c someone uses a room for 1 thing doesn't mean the new buyer has to use it for the same.

Does the listing say the kegerator conveys with the home?
Does the pool table convey?

If they don't why would someone list it as a "problem"?

I'm guessing the real problem is the argument between the couple after they see it... he loves it just the way it is, and she wants a frilly living room.

Back