Chiller Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing in the next few days and will be able to use my new wort chiller. What kind of a hose do you use that will let you run 212* water through it? I saw some hoses that say "Do Not Run Hot Water Through", but on a heavy duty hose, it says nothing. I won't melt the heavy duty hose will I?
Thank you in advance.

You can also look for food-grade, high temp vinyl hose at your hardware store. I picked some up at Home Depot.

Yeah, guess I should have said I had an immersion chiller. But no, I do not need a certain size, I just do not want to melt the hose from the water.

The output water is only near 200F for the first minute or so. The reinforced clear vinyl stuff at HD or Lowes is more than enough for this task. I even use it for pumping boiling wort so I know it will hold up.

Now when I sanitize the chiller in the wort, do I need to pump some water into the chiller or can/should the chiller be empty?

Leave it empty or it will suck the heat out of the wort and stop the boil for quite some time. You want to heat sanitize, which works faster empty.

Note, from then on, there will always be some water in the coil. Be careful when you first add to the boil, it will steam out... Careful.

You can use plain old vinyl tubing. It's only hot for 60 seconds or less. I do it all the time.

Mine came with tubing that says it is for high pressure apps, it is red, I am pretty sure it is the stuff HD sells for air compressors, works fine.

Also, be careful when you put the IC in, if there is water in it, it will vaporize, start to come out of the IC, condenses in the hose, and will shoot 209 degree water out on your feet...well, in theory:p . BTW, since a couple weeks ago I wear shoes when I brew.

mward said:
You can use plain old vinyl tubing. It's only hot for 60 seconds or less. I do it all the time.

The only problem is that the output will collapse a bit because it softens up a lot. The reinforced version is only 10 cents more per foot or so.

You can get Tygon R-3603 Laboratory tubing. It comes in a good selection of sizes, is flexible, and if you get the 1/8" walled stuff it will not kink with suction. As far as temps go, the stuff can be Autoclaved (250ish F).....

You can get it at USPlastics.com

Latest posts

Back