PSI for different beers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I was having some foam issue with my keezer. I just started brewing so I bought a 5 gallon keg of Urban Wheat Ale to tide me over till my homebrew was ready. I was always struggling with foam, though and kept it at about 10-11 psi, 38F, 6ft beer lines.

Eventually I added a fan to the keezer. I was about to order some 10ft beer lines when I tried out my homebrew. It seems to require 14-15 psi to be properly carbed and have decent head. Homebrew is a brown ale and a dry stout.

Do different beers require different psi?

Thanks.

yes, they do. some beers are meant to be lightly carbed, and others more heavily. i pretty much keep mine carbed at 40F and 11 psi, though, for convenience. my beer line from the co2 tank is 3/8" and 6' long

Swap out your lines for 12' of 3/16ths. That might be a bit too much for some beers, but all that means is a slightly slower pour. Better that than foam.

all else being equal browns and stouts should have lower carb levels, which would equal lower psi. two things i can think of would cause homebrew to require higher psi however.

first is co2 absorption. if your homebrew has not been sitting on the gas for a couple weeks (or been "force carbed"), it may still be low on co2.

second would be head retention. a homebrew with low head retention will show less foaming because it just doesnt stick around very long. not sure how this would effect the actual carb levels in the beer but it will definately effect the perceived carb levels.

Thanks guys. The beer was being force carbed. Maybe I just have lower head retention. But up at 14-15 psi the beer seems nicely carbed and with a good head. Foam issues are gone now that I installed the fans. But It's only been a day or two. I hope that's not too much psi for them.

Back