Yes, another beer foam thread....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XBOXHACKER

Reaction score
TLDR; I have read a ton of things and tried a ton of things, but nothing helps.....

So we had a Halloween party the other day. I got 4 taps in my kegerator, so I filled 2 empty slots with Jai Alai (IPA) and Fat Tire. The Fat Tire and my seltzer poured fine. The IPA was PIA!!!!!
It would pop and foam like the keg had kicked. No matter where the PSI was.

Right now it is at ~10-11 PSI. I have used this before for this IPA. I would like to point out that I have never had this issue before.

Here is what I have done/changed:

Brand New Tap Faucet (installed a Nukatap FC) - No dice
Brand New Sankey D connector (not just o rings)- No Dice
New keg lube - No Dice
Went back to the old Faucet - No Dice
Went back to the FC Faucet - No Dice
Purged all CO2 from keg, started over from zero - No Dice
Low PSI - No Dice
High PSI - No Dice
10 PSI - No DIce

The Temp is about 35
The line is 3/16 and about 4'
The column is chilled as well.
Keg is full.

Like I said, never had this issue before.

Attachments

• 20231102_155413.jpg
    20231102_155413.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231102_170418.mp4
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
The OP said the coupler was swapped, presumably with no improvement (or even "change" - hopefully that would have been noted).

Thus I'm inclined to believe the CO2 pressure is insufficient to keep the dissolved CO2 in the beer. It's outgassing CO2 - and the first thing that gets gassed is the spear, and it sure looks like it's yakking up a bit of trapped beer in front of a gas bubble, followed by clear beer.

Reference our favorite carbonation table and at the least make sure the combination of temperature and CO2 pressure hits one of the 2.5 or greater "volumes of CO2" results. And maybe even ask Cigar City to what level they carbonate that beer and set your dispensing setup accordingly...

Cheers!

Ah, that could point to CO2 going directly into the liquid line. Check the coupler for bad or missing seals.
That is what I thought, after replacing the coupling with a brand-new one still had the same issue.

Reference our favorite carbonation table and at the least make sure the combination of temperature and CO2 pressure hits one of the 2.5 or greater "volumes of CO2" results.
Yes, no improvement with the new coupler.
Looking at the chart, looks like I am about 2.38-2.48 right now. But I have tried to go up and down with the PSI to no avail. Even purged it and started from zero.

Any hop material that could be caught?
Not sure. 1/3 of the keg is gone now in waste. Tried to drink as much as I could LOL!

I got one last-ditch effort idea to try. If this does not work I give up.....

WINNING!!!

Finally getting a good pour! I saw a vid a while back in YT from KegCan about him putting a weed eater line in the beer tube to change the diameter for short runs. IT WORKED! He mentioned that he was unsure if it was food-safe. But being an avid 3D printer since 2013, I know there is food-safe printing filament. So I bought some and added it to the line. The filament is 1.75mm or 0.07"

Currently running the new coupler and the Nukatap, too lazy to change them back for a test with the filament. 🤣

Also made an Excel file with calculations for beer line length and adding things inside the line to change the ID of the tube. Still working on it tho.

Things are looking up.....

Attachments

• 20231103_115946.jpg
    20231103_115946.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_120000.jpg
    20231103_120000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231102_175203.jpg
    20231102_175203.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231103_114747.jpg
    20231103_114747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I don't really have room for 10" of tubing times 4 taps. But yes, the FC didn't really seem to help at first. But it seems to have better control of the flow now.

I may change the faucet back to the old one and test it.

I don't really have room for 10" of tubing times 4 taps.
You could use EVA Barrier line.
4mm ID / 8mm OD.

Or the narrower, 3mm ID / 6.35mm OD, for even shorter lines.
That 3mm would work like a real charm with your highly carbonated Seltzers.

It's a bit stiffer, than vinyl, though.

Last edited:
Back