We had to dump 40 gallons!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, what a shame. She had a descent burial. At least we all had a chance to say good-bye...

Our club brews 40 gallon batches. We have a 55-gal SS drum for fermentation. Brewed up a Porter 3 or 4 weeks ago. Went to keg yesterday and yuk! Hard to describe. Medicinal, sour, acidic, rancid come to mind. 1st time we had a bad batch. We have some accomplished brewers with 15+ years experience. We have a microbiologist, a pharmacologist, engineers, IT guys. We're no dummies and we know what we're doing, but it still happened...

We think it goes back a few months when the yeast was started. We had a brew date set, but it was too cold. It sat around for 2 weeks, then that session got canceled. We think the yeast either died or went dormant. It kinda got forgotten about until brew day. It took a week to start fermenting (big problemo) and went for 2 or 3 days. Took another week to get more yeast, a couple of days to start it up, then it fermented like a mo-fo... That lag period killed us. The initial fermentation may have been the wild things. We are pretty sure our sanity practices were OK. Oh well, we dumped it and brewed up 50 gallons or Maerzen. Wish us luck! :mug:

Damn that must have been hard. I cringe when I have to dump 5 but 40 gallons! O' Well RDWHAHB. And i am with biermucher Brew 50 more!

The dead homies are having a serious party with that amount of pour-out...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19yjoUfbZtw&feature=related]YouTube - Taps[/ame]

Back