Question about Lalvin 71b yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi homebrew folks,

We just joined the forum a few days ago. For the first time we used 71b yeast for our home brew to make a dry red wine from Welches grape juice. I noticed a marked difference in the fermentation process from using flieshmans active dry yeast. This 71b fermented fast and furious (in our language, one "bloop" per second on the airlock!!!). Then in a day or two it rapidly fell off. we started the batch on March 16. On March 21 (yesterday), it had slowed to one "bloop" per 2 1/2 minutes. Wow, fast uptake and fast drop off. My temp in the room it is fermenting is steady, around 70 degrees. I have not checked the "blooping" this morning, but assume it is about done. My question is whether this process is normal for it to seeming complete the fermentation process in just 5 or 6 days? Thanks for your feedback for these newbies!!!

Airlock activity is not necessarily an indicator of how well fermentation is going. With some strains it's not unusual for it to go gangbusters then slow down after a few days. However, it's likely still fermenting.

I would say give it another week or two, then draw a sample and take a gravity reading. If the gravity is still high, you could pitch another packet, with a bit of yeast nutrient.

Airlock activity is not necessarily an indicator of how well fermentation is going. With some strains it's not unusual for it to go gangbusters then slow down after a few days. However, it's likely still fermenting.

I would say give it another week or two, then draw a sample and take a gravity reading. If the gravity is still high, you could pitch another packet, with a bit of yeast nutrient.
Thank you for the helpful feedback. I will indeed give it at least another week. This is helpful information. Thank you.

Back