How do you attach a drip tray to keezer w/out using the collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT100

Reaction score
Are people using glue or magnets to attach their drip trays to their freezer?

I want to attach a drip tray to my keezer and saw some pics on this website of drip trays attached directly to the freezer and not the wood collar.
I know I shouldn't drill into the front of the freezer but don't know how to attach the drip tray.

Any thoughts on how to attach the drip tray?

Yes, the front of the freezer gets pretty hot so I think that is where the lines are. It the Loews chest freezer, whirlpool 8.8cu ft. It seems like a popular model for conversion.

Yes, the front of the freezer gets pretty hot so I think that is where the lines are. It the Loews chest freezer, whirlpool 8.8cu ft. It seems like a popular model for conversion.

I have that same freezer, and was wondering the exact same thing. I just finished it a few days ago but have no drip tray yet because I'm afraid to drill into the side, so I just have a towel on the floor for now.

I'm really just considering getting a regular countertop drip tray and using some adhesive to attach a couple of L brackets to the front of the freezer and using those to support the drip tray. But if there's a better idea for this unit I hope someone posts it here.

I used 3M velcro strips, they are really strong and made of plastic. I used 4 on the corners and it's very strong.

I used some liquid nails to attach some L brackets to the keezer, then used some velcro to attach the drip tray to the brackets.

View from under:
KegDriptray04.jpg

I used some liquid nails to attach some L brackets to the keezer, then used some velcro to attach the drip tray to the brackets.

View from under:
KegDriptray04.jpg

Good idea Kilted Brewer. I wouldn't have thought of the velcro to hold the tray on the bracket. I think this is the way I'll go with mine.

Maybe some Rare Earth magnets would work... Or you could epoxy it, just make sure you sand the front where its going to attach so it adheres well.

I'm using magnets.. makes it easy to remove and clean. Of course my drip tray is currently a drywall mud through.. hahaah

View from under:
KegDriptray04.jpg

Thanks for the good idea.

Is the setup with the liquid nails on the L brackets strong enough to hold a pint?

wouldn't 1/4" zip screws work (self taping sheet metal screws.) I'd think you'd be safe enough distance from the heating coil.

+1 for the industrial velcro as well.

B

The ones I used are 3M picture hanging strips, medium size. It says 4 will hold up to 10 pounds. They easily hold two pint glasses and they are removeable if you change your mind later.

I wouldn't use screws. I used 1-minute epoxy to hold the brackets to the front of the freezer, then velcro to hold the tray down. Removable to clean.

driptray.jpg

I think this is the best idea. How long is that drip tray, and where did you get it? I'm looking for one about 15 inches but they all seem to have that cheap plastic insert. I want one like yours.

About the velcro...is it hard to pull the tray off of the brackets? My fear is that you get some liquid in the tray, and then when you go to pulll it off the velcro there's enough resistance that you have to pull hard and then it gives way all at once and splashes out. Know what I mean? Is that a problem?

My drip try has a back splash on it, when I remove it I just tip it up from the bottom and it pops right off. I have never spilled it. The plastic "velcro" seems to work different than the regular stuff.

Bar Products, Bar Supplies, Kitchen Equipment, Wine Accessories and lots more. and search for drip tray. I used two 1" square tabs of velcro per bracket and I can remove it without jerking the tray. I don't let it fill to the top with drippings by any means but I know what you're saying.

Nice price on a 19 inch drip tray! Thanks for the link.

I know another poster mentioned his, but would you trust a pint of beer resting on your setup? Not that it's necessary, but it'd be nice to be able to rest a pint glass on it for a few moments if you had an extra foamy draw or something.

What i did was use a SS sheetrock mud tray , i got it at lowes its 14" long and 5 or 6" inch wide. it cost like 15 or 10 bucks and is all SS
i just put it on top of to L brackets and some velcrow.
it looks good and is a way cheeper that a premade driptray

I know another poster mentioned his, but would you trust a pint of beer resting on your setup? Not that it's necessary, but it'd be nice to be able to rest a pint glass on it for a few moments if you had an extra foamy draw or something.

I did basically the same as Bobby...and yes, I can rest a full pint on there no problem.

Yeah, I wouldn't fear a couple pints worth of weight on it. I roughed up the powdercoat just a bit on the freezer just to give it some extra grab. 1 minute epoxy is really agressive anyway.

Welding magnets from Harbor Freight - were $2 each on sale.

Using the same drip tray as Bobby_M, with small stick-on magnets on the bottom of it. Each welding magnet can lift 20 pounds, and I've got 4 of them under the tray, so no worries about leaving a pint or three on it.

2851480979_ae30d18924.jpg

Welding magnets from Harbor Freight - were $2 each on sale.

Using the same drip tray as Bobby_M, with small stick-on magnets on the bottom of it. Each welding magnet can lift 20 pounds, and I've got 4 of them under the tray, so no worries about leaving a pint or three on it.

2851480979_ae30d18924.jpg

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to point out that these magnets are great for mounting a drip tray without damaging the freezer or tray. I just remembered we just recently got a Harbor Freight in town. They had these for 3.50 on sale. They look a little nicer than the picture. I got 3 of them, which should be a similar cost to L brackets and adhesive.

When placing these as is on the front of the freezer, they're a little slippery as the magnets are painted with a glossy paint. I stuck a piece of masking tape on the edge to add some roughness on both angles to increase force needed to break free of the static friction. I'm trying to think of some kind of gel something or other that would increase the tackiness of the magnet without adding a lot of material. I may try some doublesided tape at some point.

I just simply liquidnailed a piece of left over collar (stained and polyed) to the face of the keezer (prior to painting) and so far its holding up fine, I just left the screws out a hair so I could just lift the dray off for easy cleaning. I've sat 2 full pints on there several times without an issue.

DSC03115.JPG

21762d1300109328-show-us-your-kegerator-forumrunner_20110314_092839.jpg

I used two of these brackets and screwed them to the front of my keez. I took a small drill bit and put a pilot hole in the sheet metal, then stuck a pin in the hole looking for tubing.

Once I knew there wasn't any coolant lines behind the holes I used #8 Stainless screws.

B

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to point out that these magnets are great for mounting a drip tray without damaging the freezer or tray. I just remembered we just recently got a Harbor Freight in town. They had these for 3.50 on sale. They look a little nicer than the picture. I got 3 of them, which should be a similar cost to L brackets and adhesive.

When placing these as is on the front of the freezer, they're a little slippery as the magnets are painted with a glossy paint. I stuck a piece of masking tape on the edge to add some roughness on both angles to increase force needed to break free of the static friction. I'm trying to think of some kind of gel something or other that would increase the tackiness of the magnet without adding a lot of material. I may try some doublesided tape at some point.

Maybe my chest freezer (Frigidaire 7.9) is less magnetic or something, but these things don't work for me. Three of them won't even hold up the driptray itself without sliding down the front, with or without any tape (I tried masking tape and blue painters tape which is has a bit more roughness to it). No way I'd risk setting an empty pint glass on it, much less a full one. :(

I don't put any drinks on mine, but it holds up my drip try just fine. Maybe yours if made of heftier stuff.

I don't put any drinks on mine, but it holds up my drip try just fine. Maybe yours if made of heftier stuff.

Mine is the 19" stainless steel two-piece from barproducts.com

It doesn't feel that heavy... I "souped up" the HF magnets by sticking them to some rare earth magnets, then sticking that to the keezer. It's a bit stronger, but I can still easily push it downwards. I think I'll have to look into more permanent attachment methods... in the meantime, hopefully the cats ignore it! :)

Yeah, we have the same one. It isn't sturdy by any means. My kids knock it down regularly, but it holds drips just fine.

Back