Attaching Collar to Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am slowly moving to kegging. I have a chest freezer I am transforming to my keezer. I have made a collar out of 2x6 and am ready to attach it, but not sure the best way. Do I simply use silicone epoxy or liquid nails or what? Only worried about the torque that will be on it when the lid is lifted since the hinge will be re-attached to the collar. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

I didn't even glue mine to the chest freezer. It's a floating design. I have chosen it because my freezer was new and I wanted to avoid to lose the warranty.

I only attached some wood in every side of the collar. As long as the lid will not open wider than 90 degree it should be fine

Didn't attach mine with anything. The weight of the wood was enough. Put some weather stripping on the bottom of the wood to get a good seal.
Same thing I did. I made my collar with 2x12 and weather stripping. I also double-hinged it so I can either lift the lid for quick entry, or lift the entire collar to make it easier to get kegs in and out. The 2x12 collar also allows me to put a corny keg on the hump.

I’m also in camp don’t attach it. 2x8 collar with some 0.5”x10” oak faces hold it in place.

Attachments

• 67FC0D55-9EC0-43EB-A56D-C15C6C89C7D8.jpeg
    67FC0D55-9EC0-43EB-A56D-C15C6C89C7D8.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E6CA2FFD-7CAE-42E2-8115-CC40BC72E324.jpeg
    E6CA2FFD-7CAE-42E2-8115-CC40BC72E324.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Same thing I did. I made my collar with 2x12 and weather stripping. I also double-hinged it so I can either lift the lid for quick entry, or lift the entire collar to make it easier to get kegs in and out. The 2x12 collar also allows me to put a corny keg on the hump.
Good catch forgot about the 2x12. Don't go small on the collar. Made that mistake my first keezer. My keezer holds 7 on the floor and 2 on the hump. Also got extra hinges for the collar but have to move the keezer out from the wall to open the collar, so I never attached them.

Good catch forgot about the 2x12. Don't go small on the collar. Made that mistake my first keezer. My keezer holds 7 on the floor and 2 on the hump. Also got extra hinges for the collar but have to move the keezer out from the wall to open the collar, so I never attached them.
I have my keezer in the garage, on a sheet of plywood, cut to also fit the CO2 tank. It’s mounted on castors so I can easily wheel it out to the back patio for parties.

I used silicone on my collar. I removed one before as well, the silicone just rolls off with your thumb if you need to get rid of it. I kept the collar short, 2x4 cut down a bit. I am 6'3" and i still don't like lifting the full kegs really high to load. In a few more years I may buy an small electric winch and heavy door roller system to load them.

I used silicone on my collar. I removed one before as well, the silicone just rolls off with your thumb if you need to get rid of it. I kept the collar short, 2x4 cut down a bit. I am 6'3" and i still don't like lifting the full kegs really high to load. In a few more years I may buy an small electric winch and heavy door roller system to load them.
I attached a gambrel / 6-pulley hoist to the ceiling in my garage. I can now lift full kegs in or out of the keezer with ease.

+1 for not attaching the collar with anything. I used weather stripping on the bottom of 2x4s and the 2x8 'face' holds it in place. It is taped with aluminium foil tape on the inside, as I insulated my collar.

Latest posts

Back