A couple lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoe1881

Reaction score
I got a free freezer and decided to start making some lagers. About 2 weeks ago I made a Sam Adams Winter Lager clone. Everything went fine, the lag time wasn't nearly as long as I expected and the beer finished in about 12 days. I decided to re-use the yeast to make a big dopplebock which I did this weekend. I collected about 2 cups of slurry from the SA clone and pitched at 45F .

1) I realized that I won't be able to start lagering the SA clone until the dopplebock finishes fermenting. Will there be any adverse affects on the beer if it sits at ~50 while the dopplebock ferments?

2) The dopplebock hasn't started fermenting yet, and its been nearly 3 days. It's at about 52 now, should I raise it to 60 and stir up the trub, or just wait.

Edit: I used Wyeast Bavarian Lager

Thanks,

Joe

I'm sure the SA clone will be fine until the dopplebock is finished. Though you may want to taste both and see if you'll need to do a d-rest before you start the lagering.

That was a fast ferment for a lager at those temps. Mine usually go 3 weeks in primary before I do a diacetyl rest ( I do one even if it is not needed).
I'm surprised it didn't take off fast, pitching fresh slurry like you did. I'm going to assume you oxygenated or aerated. Keep it at lager fermenting temps and swirl the fermenter to get the yeast in suspension. It should start soon. Are there no signs at all?

A bubble comes through the airlock once in a while, but thats it. It doesn't look like anything is going on. I've swirled it a couple times a day so far. The only aeration was shaking the carboy over and over while I was finishing up the 2nd brew that day. I'll keep it at temperature and give it a couple more days. Thanks for the replies.

airlock activity isn't a great indicator of whether the beer has finished fermenting. you NEED a hydrometer for that, and several days of consistent gravity readings at or near the expected final gravity.

airlocks keep the brew sanitary and vents excess CO2...nothing more.

Back