Added Yeast nutrient at end of secondary fermentation -- Oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitfire6

Reaction score
Due to failure to "Relax and have a homebrew" I decided that I had a stuck fermentation, when I didn't (erroneous hydrometer and expecting lower FG), and subsequently decided to add some yeast energizer. Unfortunately I reached for the Fermax yeast nutrient, read the label, and then added 4 tsp directly to the carboy. What was I thinking??? I think I may have been possessed by Fermabaddon, the greek demon of bad fermentation.

Some research tells me that Fermax is made up of a small quantity di-ammonium phosphate along with dead yeast hulls. I also learned that Yeast Energizers are primarily di-ammonium phosphate.

So, did I screw up my beer? Is there anything I should do now, like keg it now, or wait a while? Or should I forgettabouddit and go relax and have a home brew?

Honestly, I'd forget about it and relax. I'm not familiar with Fermax, but I use the Wyeast nutrient on a regular basis.

Thanks Darwin, That's about what I did. This was actually a ten gallon batch so I kegged the first half and had a couple pints last night. All is well. Excellent N. England Brown Ale.

According to John Palmer in "How to Brew", speaking specifically about starters/first fermentation,

"Yeast Nutrient or Energizer - The name can vary, but the intent is a mixture of di-ammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, biotin and vitamins. These mixtures are a more complete dietary supplement for the yeast and what I recommend."

It sounds like you're just fine. You definitely made for happier yeasties.

I was concerned that the di-ammonium phosphate would just end up as a chemical addition - off flavore since the yeasties were already sleeping and fermentation was over.

** Kegged this and drinking on it now. Northern English Brown Ale. Have to say it's in the top three beers I have ever made.

Thanks guys!

Back