Clean-Up Phase Wort Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Should wort still be held at 68-70 during the "clean-up" phase of fermentation? CO2 production has ceased at this point (for a few days now actually) so just wondering if I can shut off the brew belt or if I still need to hold at temp.

Thanks for the info!

If you are certain fermentation has completed (checked with a hydrometer), you can turn off the brew belt now - colder temperatures will actually help in cleaning up by dropping a lot of the remnants out of suspension...

was wondering the same thing. the temp where my fermentation is taking place has dropped from 67-69, down to 62-64. this is on day 5, with little blowoff air action.

good to know.

okay... is a reading today and then another reading tomorrow okay or do i need to wait more than one day to see if there's a change in readings before making the decision to turn off belt?

A couple days in a row should be good, but checking your final gravity reading is more important. If you're way off from your final gravity, you might want to agitate the brew to get the yeast back in suspension to keep going.

Also temp drop after vigorous fermentation is normal, as fermentation is an exothermic reaction (it creates heat).

There are two kinds of post-fermentation cleanup -- there's the diacetyl cleanup which happens best over 60F, and there's also the sediment dropout which happens best down around freezing. Depends on which you're going for.

Back