Do I need to worry about autolysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Reaction score
I have two batches of cider going right now. I started them in later February and after 3 weeks I racked them to a secondary. I would have waited longer but they had quite a lot of sediment on the bottom. They're been in the secondary a week or so now and guess what?

A ton of sediment again... looks like I should have waited after all. :mad: Newbie mistake, live and learn. One batch has maybe half an inch of gunk in the bottom of the carboy now while the other has an inch or so. (No joke... ) They're not getting very clear but fermentation does seem to be slowing down a bit. I have no idea how much long it's going to take to ferment to dry like I was planning. The gravity of both right now is 1.003.

I'm concerned about autolysis if I just leave it. Do I need to rack them again or can I just let it go?

Edited to add: The yeast I'm using for the batch that has about half an inch of sediment is a Nottingham Ale Yeast. The yeast I'm using for the batch with an inch of sediment is a White Labs Cider Yeast. (I hate this yeast BTW... smelled terrible to start with, tons of rhino farts, clove overtones, etc. Also apparently makes tons of sediment. They even warn you on the bottle of yeast that is makes a lot of sulphur compounds you have to wait out. Thought I'd pass that along to you guys.)

let it fully finish before you rack again or your just going to have it sit on sediment again. at 1.003 it has to be almost done. from everything I have autolysis doesnt take place for a while , if it is still fermenting your "sitting on sediment" time doesnt even start till its done with fermentation

Let them sit.

And wait for the tastings before you condemn the cider yeast. A specialized strain wouldn't exist if the final results weren't worth it.

Autolysis comes from yeast not the solids that falls out of apple cider. If you've already racked it once, there is not a ton of yeast to worry about autolysis. I would just keep it in the secondary until you're ready to rack to bottling bucket. It takes a long time for the solids to fall and it takes a long time for autolysis so I would say you're in good shape.
+1 on what David said, don't judge the yeast until you have a finish product. You might end up loving it!

Back