Thoughts on IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update. I usually say I'll wait a month but I almost always try one after 2 weeks, so I'll update next weekend. Thanks for trying this recipe, henrik. I'll submit this to the recipe database if I'm happy with it.

It's been 2 weeks since bottling & I had one today. This is a great beer. Great aroma, great flavor, carbonation is right on. I will brew this again for sure. I want to try it with carastan next time & see if it makes a difference, but I'm quite pleased with this as it is.

Hopefully someday I can get ahold of some Pako's and do a comparison.

Dang this is timely. I just got back from Jackson Hole yesterday and I lived on Pako's there, it was dynamite. Funny though the cans (it comes in cans) have it 7.2% abv. Anyway, my wife loved the stuff, she could have sworn she tasted cilantro in it, any thoughts on that (i.e like an undisclosed secret ingredient)? Will be trying a partial mash of this nottoo far down the road

Interesting about the abv, i based my recipe on the information on their website. Not sure on the cilantro flavor but maybe she's picking up something from the hops.

Fwiw, this beer turned out great.

After gleaning more info from this thread, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/snake-river-pakos-ipa-316170/, I have revised my recipe. I screwed up some of my numbers in my original and had way too high of an OG. Some of my notes will make more sense if you reference the other thread.

6 gallon batch, my pre-boil volume is about 7.5 gallons.

Also, this is for a 1 hour boil, not 2.

12.25# 2 Row 92%
12oz Light Munich 5.6%
5oz Caramunich 2.3%

Mash @ 149* for 1 hour, my standard mash thickness is 1.33qts/lb.

(In the recipe that MrNic got from the brewery, the percentages were 92.5%, 5.5%, & 2%. Note that I'm doing a 6 gallon batch and only a 1 hour boil, so I've got quite a bit more grain in my recipe.)

Hops:
.75 oz Columbus 15.2% - 60 min
1 oz Columbus 15.2% - 15
1 oz Simcoe 13% - 15
1 oz Columbus - flameout
1 oz Simcoe - flameout

2.75 oz each Simcoe & Columbus for dry hop

This gives me 67 IBUs, and I just rounded the 15 minute & flameout additions to 1 oz for ease of use, obviously.

OG should come out to 1.065. Brewpal gives me an FG of 1.014 and ABV of 6.7% using US-05.

I probably won't get around to brewing this until January, I'll try to remember to update with results.

The problem is that the munich needs to be mashed. So you either need to find munich extract or do a mini mash. It will probably be easier to do a mini mash than to find munich extract. It's basically steeping but with more temperature management. That way you can also do a couple pounds of 2 row with it and include the caramunich. Deathbrewer has a great sticky on partial mashes in the beginner forum. At least I think it's the beginner forum. I'd give you the link but I'm on my phone and it's a pita to switch windows etc. Good luck!

Back