Yeast rehydrated, but......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
There doesnt seem to be any work being done by my yeast. I rehydrated it over an hour ago and there is no krausen on it.
Normaly by this time I have a few inches on top of the liquid, but now I barely have 1/4 inch.....Should I be concerned?

BTW, I have my wort on the stove, boling.....I am relaxing, not worrying, AND having a home brew.... but I might need more homebrew to keep the worry away.

VonRunkel said:
There doesnt seem to be any work being done by my yeast. I rehydrated it over an hour ago and there is no krausen on it.
Normaly by this time I have a few inches on top of the liquid, but now I barely have 1/4 inch.....Should I be concerned?

You won't get krausen in rehydrating. You just want it to suck up the moisture and create a slurry :)

I guess my terminology is a bit off, but normally there is a nice head of foam on top of the liquid.... not so much this time. I am using a different yeast than normal -safeale 05-.... maybe that's why..?

what is date expiration on yeast packet?
how was it stored?
what was temperature of water you added to yeast?

anyways, so long as there is some activity showing rehydration (creamy, beige color etc) you are good to go.

It doesnt expire for a while, it was stored sealed in my fridge before rehydrating, not sure on the temperature, definately warme-mildly hot, which is the same temp I have always used. It was definately a creamy beige color....I did put a little sugar in, just to get it into the booze making mood.
I pitched it anyway (well, to be fair, my daughter pitched it), If I don't see any activity within 24 hours I will pitch some other yeast... I hope it doesnt go south.....

Thanks. I'm not to terribly worried, but I thought I should ask since things weren't as I expected.
the 72 hour clock started about 2 hours ago... Heres Hoping :mug:

Back