Its that time of year.... lets talk Grog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

Reaction score
EdWort says, "this makes a great Grog in the winter time. Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

My question is by simmering, aren't you in essence evaporating the alcohol, similar to the process of distilling in spirits such as bourbon? I guess a lid would be adequate to keep the alcohol from leaving the pan? Something to perhaps keep in mind.

Anyway what have you experimented with? I've only tried a combo of sugar, vanilla, and a half stick of cinnamon and enjoyed it. I was thinking of giving honey a shot.

Remember that alcohol's boiling point is 173* at sea level. If you keep it below that, you won't lose an alcohol to evaporation

Remember that alcohol's boiling point is 173* at sea level. If you keep it below that, you won't lose an alcohol to evaporation

:mug: Thanks. I wasn't aware it took boiling to remove the alcohol, just assumed the vapors during simmering contained alcohol

with gluhwein and stuff like that, you want to keep it on the stove untill a little steam starts coming from it.. then turn it off. Do not boil it, or it will make the alchohol evaporate.

Back