For those considering their first brew...let's talk about kveik yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Norway, mate. Brewing a Norwegian farmhouse ale, with the finest imported ingredients and skill, almost became an annual thing for a family shindig at the outlaw's cabin in the mountains. I haven't bothered since the virus, but once the novelty faded people focused a lot more on drinking from other kegs. The Norwegian farmhouse ale was always last to disappear. I've tried three kveik strains and I, personally, thought they were all sh*t, because I know the beers could have been much better if fermented with better brewer's yeasts. Even a sensible hoppy American IPA was so much better fermented with an American ale yeast.
Awesome! Thank you for this. It is the issue of historical brewing, early beers were often smokey and sour, but were drank because many water sources contain detrimental bacteria, beer/wine etc contain alcohol, and it isn’t likely to make one violently ill or die… kinda tastes bad, but helps you feel good. Through modern sanitation and better quality ingredients (including singular yeast strains) we can produce better beer compared to many historical styles, right?

Now those new brewers, that OP is addressing have the choice of using various commercially available Kveik strains with quality ingredients and proper sanitation, to possibly produce a good beer. I say possibly because good beer is also dependent on the process, not just the ingredients.

I have used the strain Opshaugh from WLP which was very clean and I know of at least one microbrew locally that uses Kveik to have faster turnaround their brewery is quite popular, and they run out of beer at times.

Last edited:
All beers benefit from time in a secondary before final packaging, in reality. It's a filtering step more than anything. It just depends on what the individual is prepared to accept as 'good enough for them' within 'x time'. Ironically, as kveik is often recommended on turnaround time, a secondary speeds up the process regardless of yeast strain pitched. It seems appropriate to note too that a skilled home brewer should be able to go from grain to glass within a week or two whilst using more appropriate yeast strains for a given style. Even lagers! My advice has always been use kveik if the aim is to produce a Norwegian farmhouse ale. Whatever that is :eek:
The only beers I use secondary for involve lambic bacteria, brett yeast and fruit, and of course lagers require an extended storage period at very cold temps. Any other beer can be left in the primary vessel for as much as 2 weeks after fermentation appears to have ended.

Back to the original subject, for a beginner go simple. One of my best beers in my 29 years of brewing was a simple 1.045 og brown ale brewed, kegged and consumed in a week with a simple grain bill, mildly hopped and brewed with Nottingham dry yeast

For those who criticize my writing style, here's the Cliff's Notes:

1. Kveik is a fast fermenting yeast that doesn't need much temperature control.
2 It works.
3. It may not produce the exact beer you were going for but it's a great place to start for the rank beginner.
4. Debating about it pretty much killed the thread. I wrote this for beginners, not to start a war.

Nuff said.

I brew a dozen of batch different styles (and Stout) beers with Voss Kveik yeast, primarily this summer because I not have fermentation temperature control, and the beers are good. But they all have that citrus flavor that really only matches APA / IPA styles. At Stout, I was able to minimize it with oat malt. On the other hand it is a very good choice (along with Saison Mangrove Jack M29) to make a good beer in the summer without controlling the fermentation temperature, but as soon as it gets cold I go back to my US-05.

I totally agree that it is a very good choice for beginners.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that crystal clear beer can be forgotten.
Like everything in the world, kveik must have some drawbacks.

… On the other hand it is a very good choice (along with Saison Mangrove Jack M29) to make a good beer in the summer without controlling the fermentation temperature, but as soon as it gets cold I go back to my US-05.

I totally agree that it is a very good choice for beginners.
Glad you introduced that Belgian yeasts, particularly Saisons do well at warmer temps and are an option for summer brewing without much temperature control. It is another farmhouse style.

I made a good Mocktoberfest with M29, which even good connoisseurs of the original Marzen Oktoberfest said was over like the original.

Unlike most other Belgian yeasts, M29 does not have a strong banana flavor and is quite clear flavor and the beer is almost so crystal clear. Its disadvantage is weaker flocculation, much weaker than kveik, which is known for its hard sediment. Naturally carbonized kveik bottles can be transported without major problems while those with M29 should be left in the refrigerator for at least one hour for the sediment to return to the bottom after transport.

An interesting video on the topic. It is a bit of an odd experiment as it is Voss vs WY1098 British Ale in a stout and both of them were fermented at 85F. But maybe it plays into this topic...if you want to brew a stout without temperature control, what yeast should you use? It would be interesting to see the same experiment but at 75F.

The only beers I use secondary for involve lambic bacteria, brett yeast and fruit, and of course lagers require an extended storage period at very cold temps. Any other beer can be left in the primary vessel for as much as 2 weeks after fermentation appears to have ended.
And often for me these days a secondary isn't always used, mainly because I will be using a yeast trough (Yorkshire square) on top of my FV to capture a lot of the yeast, which seems to promote bright beer sooner in the primary.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

Kind of a halfway house between primary and secondary is how I'm viewing it. But, according to my taste, beers taken off the yeast as soon as and left in a secondary to go bright sooner therefore ready sooner for packaging and serving are better sooner. Leaving beer in primary actually delays the process quite significantly and, ironically, offers some people an excuse to claim things like kveik yeast are much faster, which, I hope we can all agree, is not just bollocks but produces an inferior beer. Personally, I don't accept aiming to produce an inferior beer to be compatible with ethos of the home brewing hobby. If that were ever the case I'd pack it in and go down the pub or off licence whenever I wanted a beer.

And often for me these days a secondary isn't always used, mainly because I will be using a yeast trough (Yorkshire square) on top of my FV to capture a lot of the yeast, which seems to promote bright beer sooner in the primary.

View attachment 747555
View attachment 747556
Kind of a halfway house between primary and secondary is how I'm viewing it. But, according to my taste, beers taken off the yeast as soon as and left in a secondary to go bright sooner therefore ready sooner for packaging and serving are better sooner. Leaving beer in primary actually delays the process quite significantly and, ironically, offers some people an excuse to claim things like kveik yeast are much faster, which, I hope we can all agree, is not just bollocks but produces an inferior beer. Personally, I don't accept aiming to produce an inferior beer to be compatible with ethos of the home brewing hobby. If that were ever the case I'd pack it in and go down the pub or off licence whenever I wanted a beer.
When I was a more serious drinker and homebrewer I had 12 taps in my garage, with at least 10 of them available, so I never had any need to force a beer to finish quickly. Brewing taught me patience for the process, rushing it never helped. And my job forced me to be gone for unknown lengths of time so I might have planned to move a beer to secondary on Sunday but then I wouldn't actually get home until 10 days later so I put the beer directly into a keg. |The results were at least as good with less hassle so by 2000 I had completely abandoned secondary except for the previously mentioned exceptions.

When I was a more serious drinker and homebrewer I had 12 taps in my garage, with at least 10 of them available, so I never had any need to force a beer to finish quickly. Brewing taught me patience for the process, rushing it never helped. And my job forced me to be gone for unknown lengths of time so I might have planned to move a beer to secondary on Sunday but then I wouldn't actually get home until 10 days later so I put the beer directly into a keg. |The results were at least as good with less hassle so by 2000 I had completely abandoned secondary except for the previously mentioned exceptions.
I think that's not an unusual experience you describe, but I don't view a secondary as forcing a beer to finish more quickly. As soon as it's done the better, in my view. It's a standard procedure to continue with the process when one stage is complete and considered good practice to get the beer off the yeast as soon as possible. Not just for business reasons, for pros. I went the other way, after leaving one or two beers on unhealthy yeast cakes and ruining them. I don't expect every new home brewer to make the silly mistakes I made, but nor would I risk helping them do so. Most problems home brewers report seem to be due to poor yeast pitching practices. For me, following good practices is about maximising the chance of things working out well, not so much about what's right or wrong. It takes time and effort to produce a good beer. Why take chances?

Awesome! Thank you for this. It is the issue of historical brewing, early beers were often smokey and sour, but were drank because many water sources contain detrimental bacteria, beer/wine etc contain alcohol, and it isn’t likely to make one violently ill or die… kinda tastes bad, but helps you feel good. Through modern sanitation and better quality ingredients (including singular yeast strains) we can produce better beer compared to many historical styles, right?

Now those new brewers, that OP is addressing have the choice of using various commercially available Kveik strains with quality ingredients and proper sanitation, to possibly produce a good beer. I say possibly because good beer is also dependent on the process, not just the ingredients.

I have used the strain Opshaugh from WLP which was very clean and I know of at least one microbrew locally that uses Kveik to have faster turnaround their brewery is quite popular, and they run out of beer at times.
Sorry, I missed this post for some reason. The historical take on the potentially less risky business of drinking alcohol rather than water might appear logical in overcrowded places like historical London without bogs and other densely populated cities, but Norway has always been among the most sparsely populated areas on the periphery of Europe, with net emigration for a thousand years, beginning with Iceland and Britain as Norse refugees fled illiterate pillaging savages and all the biting, blood-sucking insects. A utopia for the damned. Due to its miserable Atlantic climate on the west coast, westerlies and predominantly mountainous landscape there’s never been a shortage of water, including safe drinking water. What Norway lacks - so desperately - is arable land. It has so little arable land Norway ranks as one of the least self-sufficient countries in the world today, even though its population is relatively tiny. It’s a mystery why none of its oil ‘wealth’ has been invested wisely in innovating farming in Norway, to promote food security in Norway for Norwegians, that is. The most reliable starch-rich crop to be grown in Norway for about the last 200 years is the spud. The potato. Malted barley for brewing would have been an imported luxury, if anything, historically, given the unforgiving climate, destitute poverty, Viking-like corruption and persistent threat of hunger. Cultural development just doesn’t get inspired much by this kind of harsh environment on the periphery of civilisation. It doesn’t matter how much amateur historians try to fluff it up and express denial about small matters like supporting evidence. They’re just storytellers at the end of the day.

There’s a good reason why kveik yeast behave just like distiller’s yeast and, in my opinion, aren’t particularly suited for making beer generally. Certainly not the best choice out there. Artificial selection over generations of ‘hjemmebrent’, which translates into ‘home burnt’. Think home distilling. Spud moonshine, which has had a much bigger cultural impact on Norway than hypothetical ‘farmhouse ales’ since Danish rule ended and Norway adopted the spud as its principal crop. This is the unromantic reality of Norway's beer heritage, which doesn’t require anything to be pulled out of a magic hat in the blogosphere or anywhere else. No assumptions, exaggerations or embellishments. No outrageous speculations. No fallacies. No ‘what a load of bollocks!’ Unlike beer, hjemmebrent spud moonshine is well documented in Norway. There were thousands of registered distilleries in Norway during the 19th century (when the population was considerably smaller than today) and probably as many unregistered, especially after it became taxable then illegal.

In my mind, there are two types of people who promote kveik these days. Those who aim to make money from selling it, or something fermented by it, with a crafty ‘Viking’ reference printed somewhere on the label, no doubt; and those who have been led up the garden path to adopt romantic beliefs about Norway being a notable beer nation. I can assure you, Norwegian beer is as miserable as the bloody weather. Worse, in fact. The potato whiskey (aquavit) on the other hand is wonderful stuff. In fact, aquavit and gin are the only spirits I actually enjoy.

Fact is, a consensus has already formed among experienced home brewers - kveik isn’t all it’s cracked to be by the marketing spiel based on romantic stories. The often claimed benefit of ‘not requiring temperature control’ falls flat on its arse when we consider how affordable and easy temperature control has become for home brewers. Nope, I’ll maintain my honest opinion that a novice home brewer is much better advised to pitch a dry yeast other than a kveik, unless he or she aims to brew a Norwegian ‘farmhouse ale’ or perhaps even a Norwegian spud moonshine. Now we’re talking, aye?

Skål!

Sometimes my homebrewing "pipeline" springs a leak (giving away too much too fast) and I need to get a few beers going rather quickly. I'm good with using Kveik for a couple batches to repair the pipeline. I understand you don't care for it, McMullan, and that's your perogative. I can't stand "milkshake" IPAs or most fruit-forward beers, and that's my prerogative. To each their own :mug:

So if I don't use Kveik I must use a secondary?

My apologies for maybe misrepresenting how important or not it was to your overall theme.

I enjoyed the info very much though. Just not sure why a secondary was even part of the equation since many advocate not using a secondary for most beers made today. Though some specific beers might benefit despite which yeast is used.

Nah you don't must need to use a secondary. In fact, if the transfer is not done carefully, you can damage your beer instead of helping it. But it can help, too, sometimes, at least a little. I like to transfer to a new fermenter when it is just barely done fermenting, if the trub layer is really thick and burying or nearly burying the spigot. The time spent in secondary, for me, is not so much a secondary fermentation as a chance to settle and clear, and enable me to go to keg with less sediment in the final product. But there are other ways of getting things done and a secondary is not strictly required. It's a choice. Your decision. Some experienced brewers will recommend it and some will recommend against it. listen to both arguments, and decide for yourself, and don't be shy about changing your mind after you have done a couple of batches one way or the other.

If you do use a secondary, I recommend a closed loop transfer into a purged fermenter already full of CO2. Run the beer from the spigot of the primary into the secondary with a hose running through a 2 hole stopper to the bottom. Run the displaced CO2 through another hose from the secondary stopper to the primary stopper. The primary will be under suction as the beer is pulled out by gravity. It can suck air in, or you can give it CO2 to suck in. The purged secondary needs to get rid of its CO2 as it fills with beer. So let the gas transfer from secondary to primary, pushed/pulled by the beer, and keep air from touching your beer. This is a lot simpler than it probably sounds and it really works well. BTW, if you keg your beer, you can do basically the same thing when you transfer to keg. Oxygen on your beer is only beneficial immediately before or after pitching the yeast, and any other time it can seriously affect your beer's flavor.

I finally got around to trying a kveik yeast a few months ago after seeing so much of the hype on the internet. I opted for OYL057 Hot Head. I think the OP makes some solid points for beginners so long as they go in with managed expectations - i.e., that the kveik yeast will not yield an "authentic" result for all styles. On that note, personally, I think pedantic adherence to style guidelines is not something to fuss over for a first brew anyway but I digress.

With that single packet of Kveik I've made 3 beers so far.

The first beer I made with it was my "house" blonde ale recipe that I've made many, many times. It's my "always on hand" beer that I feed to non-adventurous guests, which is fine because I really enjoy it too. Normally I use WLP001 or S05 for this beer and am well-acquainted with what it "should" taste like using one of those. The kveik version was "OK" but I don't see myself using it again in such a beer. It was fairly clean and crisp but it had a noticeable "tartness" on the palate that I didn't care for. I wondered if I had mishandled the yeast somehow but upon researching it online, this seems to be a common observation from using this yeast.

The next beer I made with the kveik was a 1.050 dry-hopped pale ale, and it was one of my favorite beers I've ever made. It was certainly the fastest keg to be drained, hands down. I don't really know the exact recipe because it was just thrown together with scraps of on-hand ingredients and dry-hopped with an ounce each of citra and mosaic cryohops. Roughly speaking it was a SNPA-ish sort of deal but with stronger hop aroma from those dry hops. To be clear, I don't believe the resounding success of this beer was necessarily a result of using kveik, but rather a demonstration that it's possible to do so while using it. Which is very interesting for me because of the notable side-benefits of the kviek: 1) I love being able to just leave my fermentor in the garage in the summer and not have to lug it downstairs to my fermentation fridge; and 2) I love how it leaps into action within hours and absolutely obliterates the wort in 1-2 days; very satisfying to witness.

The third beer is TBD, haven't tried it yet, but it's another pale ale similar to the above.

So my take is, it's not the be-all-end-all, but it's a great tool to have in the kit for certain situations. I would have no problem at all recommending it to a beginner.

I have had good results with Kviek. My beers are all on the dark and heavy side so take that in consideration. I have never done a lager due to temperature issues. During hurricane season, electricity for climate control is not guaranteed, and so it often comes to pass that I have to ferment at summer ambient temperatures that will kill most yeasts. New Orleans summer/fall climate makes Kviek happy as a well, pretty happy. When I pitch Kviek it is all about temperature. I have never noticed any flavor elements that were less than pleasant. I will say that I think I prefer the flavor profile of BE-134 or better yet, BE-256, but it's not a LOT better. And honestly I am still not entirely decided. I think I need to drink a few more kegs to be sure. Anyway temperature tolerance is a big deal for me, and those two yeasts are quite active and do a great job at our normal room temperature of 73 degrees in summer, and 70 in winter. But I wouldnt like to be stuck with either one when ambient temp is in the mid 90's.

I honestly don't care if a beer is fast or not so fast. I don't use Kviek for a particular style or flavor profile. I use it when I need extra temperature tolerance, and for many beginners that might be a good reason. When the boss says hell no, you aren't brewing beer in the house, take it out to the garage, then without spending extra money on fermentation temperature control, temp tolerance is a potential deal breaker.

I only found out about Kveik at the very end of summer. temps were still +30'c so I ordered a packet but then a few days before my brew day a cold front came in and dropped the temp to ~20'c, so I guess I'm gonna save it until next summer...

I only found out about Kveik at the very end of summer. temps were still +30'c so I ordered a packet but then a few days before my brew day a cold front came in and dropped the temp to ~20'c, so I guess I'm gonna save it until next summer...

Kveik work god and on 20'C.

I brew a dozen of batch different styles (and Stout) beers with Voss Kveik yeast, primarily this summer because I not have fermentation temperature control, and the beers are good. But they all have that citrus flavor that really only matches APA / IPA styles.

I’ve never used it, but I couldn’t help but notice Kviek made a huge and grand entrance just as NEIPA was becoming one of the most popular styles everywhere. All of a sudden every brewing forum and all the brewing mags are doing daily sermons about Kviek. So I had rightfully assumed it was associated with the murk.

Personally, I gag at the sight of NEIPA. It looks like the sludge I dump out of the bottom of my fermenter after I rack off the beer - and I can’t understand why anybody thinks this looks appetizing and wants to fight over it to buy it.

I guess thats why I’ve not been in any rush to run out and buy Kviek yeast.

I’ve never used it, but I couldn’t help but notice Kviek made a huge and grand entrance just as NEIPA was becoming one of the most popular styles everywhere. All of a sudden every brewing forum and all the brewing mags are doing daily sermons about Kviek. So I had rightfully assumed it was associated with the murk.

Personally, I gag at the sight of NEIPA. It looks like the sludge I dump out of the bottom of my fermenter after I rack off the beer - and I can’t understand why anybody thinks this looks appetizing and wants to fight over it to buy it.

I guess thats why I’ve not been in any rush to run out and buy Kviek yeast.
The disproportionate online presence of kveik mania was obviously engineered by something like a 'talented' PR firm. I find it fascinating how it was whipped up into a kind of mass hysteria that failed to actually deliver. It's sh*t! That kind of PR is normally reserved for corporations selling toxic products, too :eek: It's not even like non-GMO yeast are patentable. Whoever invested in that kveik campaign was a fool.

Last edited:
Back