A hop cone in the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
So, I was dreaming again today about owning a pub at some point in my life. Wouldn't it be aesthetically appealing and possibly flavorful to have a stash of hop buds (didn't mean to say cone in the title) that you throw one into each pint of a house IIPA you serve. You could of course throw an extra quarter on the price of the pint to more than cover for that one cone.

... dunno, thought it was interesting.

So you are saying for a quarter you would put a hop in my beer? That's pretty cool, I'd probably get a pint.

ohiobrewtus said:
Just don't use pellets, you'd have to pay people to drink it. :D :drunk:

oh god no, like I said, it'd be more for visual appeal than anything. But could possibly add a littttle bit more to the flavor/aroma at drinking time.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I suspect dried, but dunno! What do you think?

I was thinking fresh would be better at least visually.

However, since I have never thrown either into a glass I think some experimenting is in order.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I thought the float would be a good thing. But, I dunno, you could be right.
IDK if you've ever been to a bar that had a blueberry ale and they put blueberries in it. Its always a pain in the ass since you have to keep your top like 1/8" from the inside of the glass and basically siphon in your sip of beer while keeping the berries at bay.

Home Brewski said:
IDK if you've ever been to a bar that had a blueberry ale and they put blueberries in it. Its always a pain in the ass since you have to keep your top like 1/8" from the inside of the glass and basically siphon in your sip of beer while keeping the berries at bay.

I hear ya, I figure one hop bud would be about 5 times as big as a blueberry, so it would be easier to let just brush your lip why you take a drink. It could be optional, but like Yuri said, I think a lot of folks would order it that way for the novelty. Not too mention it's kinda like a last minute dry hop. I suspect the last few sips would be verrrrry hoppy.

Home Brewski said:

I've had a blueberry ale w berries in it, I just ate the blueberries first so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

As for the hops, that sounds pretty cool, I'd definitely try it.

that's the kind of thing that could really set a brewpub apart! i agree that it could get in the way a bit, but i think that the uniqueness of it would trump that. because fresh hops aren't available year round you could re-hydrate an oz or 2 in a pitcher of the beer to get you through the night. i could imagine that it might be beneficial to sort of wash them a bit, so you don't end up with lots of little floaters and hop flakes in your mouth, that would be annoying. i'll certainly be trying this with my next pale.

I'd be down with that.

I guess it would really depend on if you wanted it to float or to sink.
I would guess that it would float and the novelty might wear off for some if it gets in the way.

You could find a nice way to attach a stainless clip to it to make is stay in the bottom.

Might consider using imperial pint glasses just to make sure people are getting a good value.

After proofing my comments, I've realized that drinking to much of my stout...my first kegged beer, I might add....I way over think stuff. :)

I was brewing once and drinkin' on some EdWort's Haus Ale, some hops strayed off the scale. To show the treasonous bastards I threw them in my pint glass. It was delicious.

Here's a visual...

BeerHop.jpg

It's glorious. I want to freeze it and skate on it in the winter and then thaw it in the springtime and drink it!

If they can put lemon wedges in wheat beer, why not hops in the IPA.

If they get in the way of drinking, just use a straw! :p

Home Brewski said:

<Off Topic High Jacking> Boston Beer Works on Brookline! woo! </Off Topic High Jacking>

Well like Discofetus said we like hops. I think that would give you a little waft of hop in the nose. Though you might pull a little oil out of the dried one and develop a little more of that flavor right along the top of the pint and work its way down as you drink.

I think it's a great idea! I've often toyed with the idea of putting a hop or two in bottles, thinking maybe it would give a little bit of a floral smell and a bit of fresher hop flavor.

This is a great idea, too! Give it a shot, and post pictures!

I gotta say that I'm intrigued. I know I've done it with a dried cone before, but it's been awhile. Due to the passage of years and my mental state at the time, I don't recall a clear picture of the experience. I'll have to try it again. :)

TL

bigjohnmilford said:
why not just keep it in your mouth like chew? Just a little hop between your cheek and gum. Skoal :fro:

That statement made me think of fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think it would be a cool novelty for an IIPA, etc. Actually what you do is, restrict it to that one beer. Then people would be like "Hey what is that?!?" and the server could be like "Oh that is our IIPA, sir, would you like to try one"? I'd just include the hop in the price of the glass rather than charging extra.

Hell, people pay 4 bucks for a glass full of crap at local bars, so I bet you could find someone (like all of us here) that would definitely spring for $.25 on top of a pint of yummy hoppiness! I'm down like four flat tires. Bring it.

zoebisch01 said:
That statement made me think of fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think it would be a cool novelty for an IIPA, etc. Actually what you do is, restrict it to that one beer. Then people would be like "Hey what is that?!?" and the server could be like "Oh that is our IIPA, sir, would you like to try one"? I'd just include the hop in the price of the glass rather than charging extra.

exactly what I was thinking.

That's related to Dogfish Head's Randall the Enamel Animal - a giant hopback between the keg and the faucet. The flower in the glass has a nice visual appeal, though.

I've had a few like this. Most of the year you can't get fresh and dried hops just don't look all that great. They also have a bad tendency to shed and make a general mess.

Then you get the numb nuts saying **** like..."dude there is some cilantro in my beer??"

......this had nothing to do with that contraption I saw yesterday that lets you run beer through a big ass hop filter to make IPA's more hoppy...right?

El_Borracho said:
Then you get the numb nuts saying **** like..."dude there is some cilantro in my beer??"

......this had nothing to do with that contraption I saw yesterday that lets you run beer through a big ass hop filter to make IPA's more hoppy...right?

I have not seen that. Sounds interesting though.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I have not seen that. Sounds interesting though.

Yea I saw that on the Modern Marvels for Brewing, and Dogfishhead has this contraption that they fill with hops and the beer runs through it after the keg and before the nozzle for IPA on tap.

Back