Hop cone…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped using my plate chiller and 2 vessel setup… went BIAB to simplify my brew day and put my Jaded Hydra IC back into service to help lighten the cleanup. Today was my first brew on the new system and, because I could, I decided to throw the whirlpool hops in commando. When the kettle was drained, leaving behind that solid cone in the middle, it made me question the utilization you really get with all of those hops mounded up in the center. Wouldn’t the hops under the outer surface of the cone be trapped and underutilized? Does the cone “turn over” from the circulation? With my plate chiller, I either bagged the hops or used a 6” stainless spider, set just inside the kettle in the direct flow of the whirlpool. Seems that location would get more out of the hops even though they were contained.

Generally speaking, the hops stay suspended until the whirlpool's motive power is removed. The hops settle into a cone as the whirpool diminishes.

Generally speaking, the hops stay suspended until the whirlpool's motive power is removed. The hops settle into a cone as the whirpool diminishes.
Not sure I agree with that. When cleaning my kettle and flushing/back flushing my plate chiller, I could see the expelled hop debris circle in the middle immediately upon starting the whirlpool.

Back