Is my fermentation complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA three weeks ago yesterday. The OG was 1.054 and I did make a yeast starter. Now I must say that my starter was very high gravity by accident. However, the started took just fine and I pitched my yeast without a problem. After one week I transferred into the secondary and dry hopped. At the time it went into the secondary the gravity was 1.016. It has now been in the secondary for two weeks and I still notice co2 bubbles rising to the top of the carboy. I just took a gravity reading again last night and it was 1.015. I notice the airlock produce a small bubble about once every minute, give or take. The beer tastes great.

My question is fermentation complete or should I let it go for a while? Don't was any bottle bombers! I just worry about getting grassy taste from the dry hop that I added.

Trust your hydrometer not your airlock. CO2 can be released for reasons other than fermentation like the carboy being bumped and the yeast being disturbed, temperature increase as you open your brew cupboard, nucleation as dry hops fall to the bottom.

What FG were you expecting? Did you have a lot of unfermentables in your wort? Maybe a high mash temp?

You're right around 75% attenuation. It is probably just CO2 coming back out of solution (not all CO2 goes out of the fermentor, a lot is dissolved into the beer itself).

Give it two more days and check again. If the grav is the same after that, keg/bottle/whatever.

I used Ed Wort's Stone IPA Clone recipe. There was no FG listed on the recipe. My gravity right now is 1.015. I boiled my priming sugar to bottle last night and then decided not to bottle. I placed the cooled priming sugar concentration into a sanitized mason jar and placed it into the frig. Can I still use this solution when I bottle or should I boil a new package?

Personally, I would boil a new Priming Solution. Why take the risk of conamination for something so little as a few ounces of DME or Priming Sugar? Also, I'd say that you are more then ready to bottle. Let us know how the beer turns out as I have almost the same recipe in the Primary right now.

Latest posts

Back