Help with Belle Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewSJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first saison on July 30th (1.052 OG, partial mash plus extract). For yeast, I used a packet of Belle Saison. The initial ferment went fine and after about a week it settled down to a slow but steady stream of fine bubbles (it's in a glass carboy, so easy to watch). Since then, the bubbling has slowed down (but not stopped) and the gravity has dropped 2 points over the course of five weeks according to my Tilt.

My question is, do I dare bottle or not? There's still gas coming off so it's clearly not completely done fermenting, but it's been six weeks and there can't be that much fermentable material left. Do I just prime for a low-ish carbonation and let it do its thing, or should I wait for the bubbles to completely stop?

What is the current gravity? I have had good luck getting down close to 1.000 in 2 weeks with Belle, but others have reported having a long tail of fermentation that takes a few extra weeks. Since you have only dropped 2 points over the past 5 weeks it seems to be done and ready to bottle.

How long is it in the fermenter? I presume you did a relatively warm fermentation.

After 3 weeks in primary my reading was 1.000 or 1.001.

Edit: I think your beer is ready to bottle.

You can add enzyme for Brut IPA in your next Saison, I always do this, this way you speed up the diastatic yeast process and also avoid problems in the bottle.

Belle Saison is a diastaticus yeast, so it needs time, wait atleast 5 weeks before botteling.

I did wait five weeks and it was still bubbling, that's why I posted. I've been drinking it for about a month now, so five weeks in the fermenter seems to have been sufficient.

I did wait five weeks and it was still bubbling, that's why I posted. I've been drinking it for about a month now, so five weeks in the fermenter seems to have been sufficient.
There will be dissolved CO2 from fermentation in the beer which will slowly escape from the sollution, thats why you see the bubbles still if you watch closely.

Back