Good or bad idea to bottle after 12 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I made a pale ale on Nov the 2nd, OG of 1.051. I used wlp007 with a starter and the beer was finished and clear after 8 days. I racked it to a secondary fermenter to age and eventually dry hop. My question is should I dry hop it for a few days, cold crash, and then bottle it before I go on vacation. This would make 12 days after pitching the yeast. Or should I let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks and then dry hop and bottle when I get back? What sort of results can I expect from rushing it and bottling quickly? I could just let it condition in the bottle vs. A secondary. Thoughts?

If you don't know that fermentation is done by taking a FG reading then let it wait. It will turn out better and you won't get bottle bombs. Dry hop after you get back.

If it was me, I would follow this schedule:

2 weeks in Secondary, then

Dry hop for 5 days, then

Cold Crash for 4 days, then

BOTTLE

You were probably better off keeping it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then racking it to secondary and dry hopping right away. Overall, its better to let the beer clear and condition in bulk rather than individual bottles. Give it the time it needs in the secondary and go enjoy your vacation!

Back